i really want a DS lite but... would it be ok?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, Jul 23, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

...i have a GBA and am (trying) to sell it on ebay because i want a DS Lite really bad. the thing is... i can't talk. (verbally.) how big of an issue is that? do a lot of games require the microphone?

2. platypus63 macrumors regular

Don't let that hold you back, get a DS as soon as you can, its fun :D !! The only game I've come across that uses speech is nintendogs. Besides that most games you can get, and the really good ones too, dont require any sort of speech input at all. So I say get one and enjoy!

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Brain Age/Training might require some talking but it almost always ask you first if it's suitable. Either way, the rest of that game would be completely fine.

And I'm having some fun w/ Animal Crossing Wild World. :D (Which requires no talking.)

4. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

What do you mean you cant talk? Im NOT trying to be mean if you have a disability im just trying to understand:)

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Won't really know it...i have yet to use my voice and i have the New Super Mario Brothers, Mario Kart, Metriod Hunters and Teris DS. I would like to use voice talking with Hunters but never have..and there is no need to.

Get one.. the DS lite rocks

6. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Teh only thing I've used the microphone for (in the 3 games I have) is someimtes you have to blow in it, to blow up a baloon in the game or something. I've never spoken for any games so far (they are all mario games....New Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario 64 DS, and Mario Kart DS...and Super Mario omg0zrz New DS 64 cube man ... dude.)

7. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Definitely get the DS Lite. The only games I have used that require talking are brain age and nintendogs. Warioware Touched requires some blowing into the microphone, but besides that, it is fun. But New supermario bros and mariokart are worth the system alone! let me know when you get it and how much you love it!

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Some exercises in Brain Age use the built in mic. However it'll ask if you are in an area where you can talk. If you can't, it'll give you a different exercise instead. The voice recognition isn't that great anyway, I usually skip the voice ones.

9. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Thats a good point about the brain age asking if you are in a quiet area. The voice ones don't register when i say blue, so it makes my brain age 28 (I'm only 22!). I wish it were better.

10. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

not really. only a few i think...Brain Training or Nintendogs I would say. You don't have to use it if you don't want to in most cases.

11. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

You might want to stear clear of Phoenix Wright. It requires you to say Objection! into the microphone in the court scenes. Too bad that is most fun... As others have said Brain Age has some voice recognition but it is optional...

12. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

it's a disability... long story... don't worry... no offense taken what so ever. i just can't speak. i used to... hence, i know english. ;) it's kinda like in The Matrix when the dude says "what good is a phone call if your un-able to speak?" except i have a mouth so it's not really like that at all. not mad at all dude. :)

forgot to say... when i'm in public, i have a thing of paper or i write short notes on my cell phone. i USED to have a small laptop thing that mounted to my wheelchair, (even longer story), but i got caught in a really have rain storm and it is no longer. really sucks too because it had text-to-speech (much like Text-Edit has) so i could talk to whoever was across the room.

13. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

those r all games i plan on getting... especially NSMB. i tested a DS lite out in Gamecrazy the other day and it was absolutley awesome... i made the touch screen do the water effect thing (by accident) like the screen on ur laptop does if u touch it... scared me half to death because i didn't want to break it but then i got home and found this. the guy is an idiot, but at least now i know it's durable.

edit... i tried NSMB and i had a feeling that didn't require the mic.

14. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Just backing up what everyone else said; you should not have ANY trouble enjoying a DS Lite without using the microphone. Most/all games that offer the ability include alternative methods of control. There are so many great games out for the system, and tons more to come, I see no reason not to get one. :)

15. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

*referring to ur avatar* that is my favorite tv show ever.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes..it rocks! it was just on USA!

(wish it was on iTunes)

17. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

that's what i think too... what's up?! oh well... soon i hope. does itunes have a thing with Fox?

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ya. iTunes has 24, and some other show but not House which is crazy!! We can only hope!

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've only played one game that did- WarioWare Touched! had a couple minigames where you had to use the microphone. However, you had to simply make a blowing noise (blowing dust out of the way, or blowing a flower into the air), not speak- can you do that much?

Oh yeah, the Brain Age demo I played required the microphone in the color minigame where you had to speak the color you saw (tricky thing, you'd see the word YELLOW and have to say black because the letters were black).

EDIT: Right, Nintendogs uses the microphone too.

20. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

sounds like all will work. thank u guys very much! i plan on getting brainage too i think.

21. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

house is awesome. i just don't like the blood.

22. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I don't really have anything constructive to say that hasn't already been said, but I just thought I'd butt in with some peer pressure....

BUY ONE!

Ahem. I have bomberman, and you have to shout at that sometimes, but the other games i have are Brain Age, Brain Academy (more fun), NSMB, Mario Kart (took me 2 weeks to realise you blow into the mic to inflate your balloon). Like the others have said, I never play the speech games in Brain Age as the recognition is appalling.

23. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i heard saying the word "blue" in Brain Age is a pain...;)

24. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Hahaha, it is a pain. try saying "Lou" instead. It works better

25. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

lol...i dunno but i'll give it a shot later...if it works blue=lou? ROFL...:cool: