I refuse to deal with Microsoft's issues

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cooknn, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Until I got my Mac, I just accepted substandard software (and hardware) as the way it was. Microsoft Windows would crash, get viruses and spyware, and I would get my work done somehow while dealing with all the other crap at the same time. In addition to the Microsoft software woes, adding hardware to a PC configuration or working with a network required an IT manager to get anything done (that would be me back in the day). Then one day I realized that it didn't have to be that way. I got my first Mac, discovered OS X, and realized that perfection isn't something that is only a dream.

Well, now that my standards are higher I apply them to my play time as well as my work time. Last week, contrary to my intuition I bought an XBox 360. I didn't just get the box, I bought 3 games, an extra controller, a wheel, a couple of books, a router and a one year subscription to XBox Live. My two boys (11 and 15) thought it would be heaven. The box and the brick were well ventilated. Actually I elevated the brick and set the box on a Notebook Cooler after reading all the horror stories about how it gets hot and locks up.

Heh. There I was. Dealing with the fear of substandard products again. Well, it didn't take long for this monster to rear its head. My 11 year old was cranking off a hot lap in PGR3 and just like that - the screen LOCKED up. Rebooted, and played for a while more and it happened again. But "it was fun when it worked!" The next day my 15 year old was getting into Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. Awesome graphics - until it LOCKED UP :mad: Like 5 times over the course of a day. My boys were heartbroken. My 11 year old actually shed a tear. On a positive note - Oblivion never locked up. Oh, joy. One out of three games didn't crash my new box :rolleyes:

On the third day I called Microsoft. They told me I could send it to them and they would fix it or replace it. I told them I wanted a new box to be shipped to me and then I'd return the one I bought upon receipt of the replacement. No deal. Couldn't even sway the supervisor. I took everything back. Thankfully, Electronics Boutique was cool about it. They refunded everything I spent. The box, the wheel for PGR3, the games, the extra controller and the books. Best Buy refunded me the money I spent on the router, and Microsoft even refunded the money I spent on XBox Live. What a freaking waste of time.

So now we wait for November. The PS3 should be sweet - with built in Blu-Ray it should kick Hi-Def DVD's into high gear. Oh, yeah the gaming should rock as well :p Anyways, if not for Microsoft Office for Mac, I wouldn't use another one of their products again. I look forward to the day when Apple gets iWork competitive...

2. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I'm feeling the 'freezing' pain. Going back to 'Game Crazy' as soon as I can to see if I can trade it for another one. Waiting 10 days for Microsoft to send me a new one is lame.

Actually, the fact that my $420 investment is locking up at all is lame...

3. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Ghost Recon 360 Lan party this weekend :D

Sorry to hear your misfortunes with the 360. I also cannot wait for the PS3 but im indeed having fun with it

4. cairo macrumors regular

Couldn't you return it back to the store where you got it and get a refund then buy a new one?

5. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I have a X360 since the november launch and it only froze on me 4 times. Alot of time, the problem are power related which is what next-gen console are more hungry about. I think you took a hasty decision and you might experience the same issue with your PS3.

Im sure that if the X360 at the name Sony or Nintendo on it, you wouldn't have returned it but it seems your tolerance from MS product is thin. I wish you luck on your quest to find the perfect console.

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I do have to agree, any next gen system has glitches. Like the 1st time a new wave of Macs hit with something completly new, or the 1st year a new car is introduced or the 1st time a gaming unit is launched. the 1st few months will have their problems. Its obvious you wanted the system or you would not have paid for it. there are thousands of people who are also enjoying their 360 with 0 glitches.

So i think its safe to say you wanted to return the unit before you even bought it because had you actually wanted it, you would have just waited for a fixed one but the last sight of being able to bail on the unit, you did so?

but to each his own and I shall deff. see you online on the PS3 launch date, and by that, I mean PS3 live :D

7. roach macrumors regular

First run console are always buggy. Early PS2 had also crashing problem...and I would expect PS3 with 3 core to have the same problem...that thing is going to run super hot.

8. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

7 cores ;)

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

First run Playstations also had problems with overheating and disk drive failure. I was (and still am) glad Nintendo stayed with cartridges for the N64.

10. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

They didn't have any more in stock. Regarding whether or not my decision was hasty, I needed to move quick if I was to expect a full refund on everything I bought. It's not like I'm on a quest for the perfect console either. I just expect to get what I pay for. When I buy a car for example, I shouldn't have to deal with the brakes locking up in the middle of an intersection. Okay, maybe that wasn't fair :cool:

11. Timepass macrumors 65816

whne you where cakking M$ for help where you willing to pay for the cross ship. (where you pay for the new one and then they refund yiou the money when they get the broken one) If not I think M$ was correct in not willing to ship you a new one and then getting back your old one because it would make theift really easy to do. Call in complain demand a new one and then never ship in the old one and you have a free 360.

12. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Except for the fact that they could probably track you down. A $400 console is not worth the knock on the door from the cops. Also, I'm pretty sure I've heard of MS shipping some people a console and then letting them ship the old one back. I'm not sure of the circumstances though.

Cooknn-

Sorry to hear about your problem. I had the same issue but got it replaced (refurb) by MS. It's working fine, but I understand you taking yours back. I thought about doing the same thing, but then realized I'd be without a console for a long while.

Hopefully these issues are being fixed on the new consoles. If not, and mine starts acting up again, you'll likely find the video of me beating it to death with a bat on YouTube.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

I don't play games, but I can just see your youngest there in your living room nearly about to break down. :( You should be a writer. :D

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Sure but even cars have recalls, the more complex the product the more chances it could happen.

My original PlayStation had to be turned upside down or else it would overheat and lock up.

When Dreamcast came out some of them would eat discs. PS2s had problems, Xboxes had problems... off hand I can't think of Nintendo systems that had problems except the NES, which had horrible times loading games... locking up, etc.

But you know, I had no problems with my Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox, or Xbox360 so it's kind of the "luck of the draw" when you are dealing with the first models of a new system.

What's funny, though, is that PS3 will surely have it's issues too... but you by chance just might end up being one of the lucky and get one without problems. Then, at least, you'll feel justified that 'Yep, Sony is just better.' - even if it's just a matter of luck.

Of course, Sony does have another year to iron out problems... here's hoping.

15. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Quitter!

DUDE, CAN i HAVE YUR STUFF?

:D
    So, just to be clear, this is more about your bias with Microsoft than trying to get a working solution for your children who appreciated the system and were having fun? :rolleyes:

I have two kids; I'd find a way to make it work, my pesonal bias be damned.

16. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It has nothing to do with a personal bias. It's just that Microsoft seems to expect that we accept products that don't work. I would feel the same way if it were Apple. As far as finding a way to make it work... I shouldn't freaking have to. I paid good money and it should work. Actually now that it's done, the boys understand. My oldest has a Mac and he gets it. My youngest was getting into Oblivion and that's why he was bummed. I'll get him the PC version and he'll be happy. When he gets to High School he'll get a Mac too.

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Perhaps it's just me, but if I buy a broken product I return it in exchange for one that isn't... obviously not *all* of the products are broken, mine, for example, has always worked fine. ;)

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Exactly.

This struk me as a self-fulfilling prophecy; the OP makes it clear that he doesn't like Microsoft and didn't want the 360 to begin with. One way or another he would have found a way to be unhappy.

I'm all for getting what you pay for and holding companies accountable for defective products. Somehow the OP thinks he's entitled to a different replacement policy than other 360 owners.

All you have to do is read the first and last paragraphs to see where this thread was headed. The middle is just weak justfication, IMO.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I knew there was a lot of dodgy PS2s, at least in Europe. Many computer magazines ran adverts and many shops ran laser fix schemes. infact a whole load of adverts popping up were just "PS2 replacement laser and Xbox HDD upgrades!".
    I never heard of the Gamecube having problems? none of my local computer shops had an official GC in for repairs or ever heard of one going wrong? There were 2 Panasonic Q's though.
    Ditto for the Mega Drive, Master System, NES, N64 or SNES. never heard of any problems what so ever. But my DC had to be fixed up once :(

20. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Hey, I'm still here :eek:

Sorry, Don, but you're wrong - at least about what you said above. I had reservations about purchasing it, yes. But I wanted it to work... Okay, I'm having a weak moment here. Maybe I'm being too hard on Microsoft. Maybe I should point some of the blame back at myself for all the years of lost productivity due to their products. It was just like Deja Vu all over again with the XBox 360 and it flipped my switch. Should I give this thing a second chance? I could even save a few dollars on the second go round by getting it at Costco. I didn't even think to look there before I bought it at EB :cool:

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm a fairly new Apple user and have enjoyed the switch to OS X. However I'm willing to give credit where it's due and not go completely extreme and say a company only makes bad products. Visual Studio is, in general, quite excellent (and a reason many developers only develop for Windows), and my MS-brand mice have always worked great. My first-generation Xbox only recently started to act up, and it endured heavy use.

Should you give the 360 another chance? I really think that depends on what you want. It has a strong online service, pretty good connectivity (hey, you can even use those wired controllers on the Mac), and a few good games. But if you only want to invest in a single system and one of the forthcoming competitors (Revolution/PS3) is sure to provide you with more software that will want, then I don't see a reason to invest in something you'll just want to replace.

Me, I've already decided against a PS3 (for a variety of reasons), and will get a Revolution. 360 and Revolution will satisify what I want a console for; one of the big reasons to go Xbox for me is multiplayer and lan gaming, that has always been a strong area for the Xbox in my opinion, more so then PlayStation.

So it's all in what you want; but I'd hardly say the 360 is a bad product. Honestly, the Xbox Live Arcade really entertains me for quick "pick up an play" gaming and new retro-style games like Geometry Wars make me look forward to new content in that service, along with the Oblivion and Halos the system will offer.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's not a bias; think about this for a second.

If he was biased he would not have bought the 360.

If you bought twenty products from Sony and they all failed you'd get fed up with it and likely stop buying their products.

If that happened to me with Nintendo (if every product I bought from Nintendo didn't work properly or was defective) I'd probably do the same.

Well, this happened to the OP with Microsoft, and everyone screams "Bias!" when he decides he's sick of it.

23. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Let me get this straight. You expected MS to take your word and ship you another console BEFORE you shipped them your defective one? I'm sorry, but I don't think any company would send you a $400 console and just take your word that you would send in the defective one when the replacement arrived.

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

We have every Nintendo console (at least the non-portable ones), and bought all of them (except possibly the NES) at launch. The only one that had to go back was the SNES a few years into its life, for something I don't remember.

25. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Well, I have a first revision PS2 and never had any crashing problems of the disc loading error others did.

Maybe this is why the PS3 is delayed- we can only hope it isn't just the blu-ray but also them addressing other issues.

I would disagree that all new things are buggy. Sure, many are but there are many others that are not.

Now, I am not one to take one incident and throw something out the window entirely. I have had several great Mac experiences myself and then was shipped a refurb. iMac that was never in fact refurbished or even cleaned upl It was a hassle but I stuck with it and got a new one and love it. Still a Mac customer and probably always will be. However, it sounds like the original poster had a long history of MS issues and this was simply the straw that broke the camels back so it wasn't an isolated experience like one poster described. CERTAINLY IF MORE PEOPLE 'VOTED' WITH THEIR WALLETS companies like MS woudl not be doing so well unless their products AND customer service were improved!

Yes they will, but they woudl require it be charged to a credit card first then refund when the return is received- unless the purchase was made with them originally which would mean they already have your CC info and they woudl do that anyway. One other way they woudl do it is to have you drop your machine off with Fed Ex with tracking number and then ship one out to you immediately. Apple did this with my crappy refub. Of course I could have send back a box of bricks but they had my cc on file to chage if necessary. (that computer was not worth as much as bricks though;))