I removed Dashboard from showing in the dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by white1827, May 3, 2005.

1. white1827 macrumors newbie

... and now I want to see it again. Anyone have any clue how to do this? I've searched far and wide to no avail.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Look for the Dashboard icon in the Applications folder, and drag it into the Dock next to the blue happy face icon.

3. white1827 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha.. thanks. I really should have thought of that.

In my defense, I'm a recent convert. I'm not used to things being easy.

4. iBunny macrumors 65816

I hear you on that. Mac is all hard like haha. but its so easy its hard.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Interesting...usually when you choose to remove an icon from the dock, for an application that is running, it will not actually remove unless the app quits. Did you actually go to the work of killing DB and then remove it? :eek:

But yeah, anyway, you can drag anything in the apps folder to the dock, as well as documents, and you can drag folders themselves to the dock, but only on the extreme right, just left of the trash. If a program is running, and its icon is not normally in the dock, you can get it to stay there by either holding the mouse button over it and selecting Keep in Dock from the menu, or by dragging it to a position other than the one its currently in, in the dock (apps that are not "kept" in the dock will be on the extreme right, so if you drag them to a spot on the left, they will stay on the dock in that position).

6. white1827 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, dashboard is special in that you can poof it even while it's running. Also, it doesn't have a quit option.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*tries it* Veeeeery interesting. And poofing it has no impact on it running. Veeery, veeery interesting. :)

8. slb macrumors 6502

This so true. :) I switched in March, and it's weird not having to jump through hoops anymore.

When I first booted the Mac, I just sat there in an odd silence as I realized that there wasn't any additional setup required. No updates, no defragging, no firewall to set up (none needed). Just start working.

Anyway, cool that you can drag the Dashboard off the dock, but I kind of like it there right now.