I renounce thee, Azureus!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bobdude161, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

After many re-installs and cache clearing I've finally given up on Azureus. I've had this program for a year and has been working flawlessly up until a month ago. NAT and DHT are firewalled? BS!! I'm tired of the advanced-ness of it all. I've switched to Transmission. Easy, EXTREMELY unburdening to my computer (only 5% CPU usage off my G4 450 Mhz), and completely stable. Best decision of my life. Anyone else know what I'm talkin' about?

2. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

yes i also use transmission instead of azureus. i have recently been using xtorrent since i like the interface so much better but im curious if anyone has done a comparison of all the torrent downloaders and see what the performance numbers say...

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'm not 100% happy with Az, but I keep it, mostly because of transport encryption. Trying to help out our buddies behind packet-filtered networks.

4. BrainZ macrumors newbie

I also used to use Azureus, but Xtorrent caught my eye. Using the massive bandwidth on campus, I have to say I have no complaints with Xtorrent, whereas Azureus had caching issues when torrenting smaller files. That said, Azureus is one of the most feature filled torrent apps I've found. I liked having the option of downloading only specific files from large torrents, but it wasn't worth the CPU and RAM usage.

5. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

thanks, azureus has been bugging me for a while. I will try transmission.. seems a little better.

6. slosh macrumors newbie

i actually started with transmission and then switched to Azureus because i found that i was getting better connections with it in general. i'm not a bittorent expert, but i seem to remember reading that transmission is banned by certain trackers. with that said, i was much happier with the resource draw that transmission has in comparison to azureaus which really sucks up the resources, as others have said.....

7. MacSyn macrumors regular

I have tried most of the BT clients for OSX. Unfortunately none is as good as BitComet in Windows. Until I find a BT client as good as BitComet, I''ll stick with BitComet+Windows for now.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I hate Az

But It's the only client I use.

I was all about the alternatives

transmission
    Bits on Wheels
    Mainline
    bla bla

all that matters is that the torrent sites that are any good, are private, and the private sites only work with Az and occationally Mainline or Tomato.

therefore, for the good stuff, it's Az or nothin

Or use public torrent sites....(ewww)

9. Nuks macrumors 6502a

I used to have Transmission, but then it started going wonky and overwrote a 23 gig file I had almost finished downloading (i had been dling it for 2 months). I don't really like Azureus, but I like the fact that I can only download certain parts of a torrent.

10. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Well, I tell you what: I've run Azureus for about 6 months now, and didn't have a problem until about a month ago. At that point I had a two week service interruption with my ISP (I was on vacation), and when I came back, Azureus had a constant yellow firewalled DHT sign on with warnings. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of it (ports forwarding, changing ports, disabling all firewalls etc.). Ultimately it's no biggie, just means I can't access some trackers, but that's not a problem long term, as long as there are enough peers.

Now, here's the interesting thing. I just installed Azureus on my XP laptop, and I'm running it from the same wireless router connection that my ibook Azureus is on. Guess what... no problem on XP! Nothing firewalled, all green. I use the latest Azureus on both, with the same plugins. One works, one has issues. And Azureus is supposed to be cross-platform. Go figure.

Still all in all, I like Azureus very much. I haven't tried all BT clients, but so far this is the best one out there for OSX, IMHO.

11. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I used to be frustrated with "Big Blue" but I finally found the right info to set it correctly about a year ago and haven't looked back. I used Transmission, too, but in many head-to-head tests, it proved to be very slow and weak at finding peers. I'd suggest using the Wiki tutorials and get Azureus set up correctly. Oh, and recent releases are less taxing on the system resources. Also, Transmission is banned by some trackers.

12. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

I use BitRocket and I have to say that this is the best torrent program that I have ever used. It supports HTTP and UDP, and the user interface is beautiful.

http://www.bitrocket.org/

13. Chris14 macrumors regular

Chris14

i can't use bittorrent :(

I've never been able to get any bittorrent program working. No one seems to have the problems i do. I always get between 0kbs (most often) and 15kbs on a range of torrents. I thought it was meant to speed up downloading? I usually get 110kbs through http...

:( What is it... Port fowarding?
    I am in New Zealand but that shouldn't matter...

I have tried Transmission, Azereus, Tomato Torrent, XTorrent with no luck.

Help would be appreaciated,

Chris

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    The only suggestions I would have are, if you really want to get it working

-If you're on a router, get off it for now, just use the internet out of your wall into your Mac.
    -Make sure you've got a port open in Syst prefs>sharing>firewall>add a port, or just turn off your firewall.

and then get a torrent with a huge amount of seeders on a public site, use transmission cuz it's so easy, and if all that doesn't work then :confused:

15. K20 macrumors member

I have both on my computer, the only reason I use Azureus is because I haven't figured out how to download individual files from a folder in Transmission. (Unless, of course, you can't)

16. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

The only torrent app I use is Azureus. I NEED the ability to select certain files, and beacuse Az is the only OS X client that can do that, it's the one I use. I LOVED utorrent on windows, but they abandoned the OS X port :(. Luckily, with its buyout by BitTorrent (the big guys), it's going to be ported to mac, but unfortunately, it's gonna take a while as it uses a lot of proprietary windows coding structures. :( Until the day utorrent is released for mac, I'll be using Azureus.