I rode my first Hog today!

Discussion in 'Community' started by teabgs, Jun 16, 2002.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Well, I know a lot of you have bikes and are very into it.well, Macrumors sparked an interest in the whole idea and I've been bugging my uncle who has a Harley to teach me to drive it for about a month now. well, I went out to his house for a BBQ today and he took me out on a ride. Though I didnt drive, it was still really cool.

I decided that as soon as its financially feasable, I too will own one. Oh man was it great.

Problem is since Im 20 he says my **** is connected to my brain too well and he wont let me drive it solo until I'm older and dont have so much testosterone. :(

oh well, Im hooked, twas 1/3 as good as skydiving, but you can do it for 3 times as long.

And oh man! was accelerating very quickly the best! highway and hog=happy me!

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Once you go Harley, you don't go back... Take a riding course as soon as you can, which will teach you all about riding as well as give you a break on the insurance.

I've been riding for over 6 years now, I started in my mid-20s and never had a problem. If you buy it yourself, then you will be more careful with it. Treat it like the investment it is, as well as the svelt machine it is.

What kind of Harley does he have??? I have the Softail Standard, which I am already customizing. :D It's a great work in progress which may never be finished.

3. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

I cant afford one now(I can barely afford food AND beer). Plus I live in NYC so I have no need to drive anything, let alone a bike. So the course is gonna have to wait...

Dont know what kind of Harley it is but I'll find out...I know he's changed it a bit since he got it.

All I know is that when you talked about all that power between your legs and how great a feeling it is...well, that happened today. The first thing I said when we got home was "I want one".

I was thinking how cool itd be to be riding onmy own Harley with an iPod(I also very much want an iPod currently). Sad thing is I can maybe get the iPod, but have years to wait for the bike...

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

In most states, it is illegal to ride a motorcycle, or any vehicle for that matter, with headphones on. When/if you get caught, it carries a rather hefty fine, so you are better off not doing it. You cannot afford the distraction of music while riding. You really do need to be aware of everything around you at all times, or you become a statistic.

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hell yeah!! Motorbikes!!!

i'm going to get a dirt bike as soon as i can. i don't know about Harleys though....

after the dirt bike it'll be a Suzuki TL 1000-R. i love big v-twins.

6. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Yeah I know....in fact I am WELL AWARE of traffic laws. I have a commercial Liceanse and Passenger endorsment, so if I were to ever get pulled over for something like that I get a worse penalty....cause I know better :mad: In fact, if I were to get a DUI I'd loose my liceanse right away because of the CDL....But I would never do that, and never have. It's one of the worst things you can do on the road.

I wouldnt do it for real, just think it would be fun, hypothetically....

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I was hoping to get to this one before Alpha did...I was gonna say how happy he was going to be to hear about it...he he he ;)

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

OH, I remember all my first rides.

I remember being so young and innocent, loving bikes, but never having the ability to get one. Then signing up for a riding course, and for the first time getting on that little training bike (sub 250 engine). Oh it was so fun, and I was instantly hooked.

Then, since I couldn't afford more, I got a rice bike, and I remember the first time riding that baby. 600 cc's, fast and agile.

Selling that bike was difficult, but I knew that someday I'd get a Harley.

5 years ago I stumbled across a guy who had a used lowrider. One test drive later, I was sold. Man, talk about a feeling. My old 600 cc bike felt quick, but that Harley was something completely different. A bored out shovelhead between your legs is something akin to riding a race horse.

Now, after 3 years of serious customizing, and a lot of TLC, I'm selling my baby.

Even though I'm sad, I know she won't be my last ride.

9. iGav macrumors G3

Hey Alpha, how have you customized your Harley???? I have visions of airbrushed semi-clad women and flames whenever I hear the customize word....... :p

Are you focusing on the mechanics of the bike, or the way it looks?? or both??

10. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Why would anyone want to ride a heavy, underpowered motorcycle that is overly loud and numbs your butt if you ride it for more than ten minutes? Not to mention that the quality is not up to the japanese par. There have already been 10 recalls on the new "sporty" harley, and it's been out about one year!! (for got the name)

Sorry to say this, but the Japanese cruisers have become better bikes than the originals.

-Pete

(I plan on getting my Shadow later this year.)

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Everyone has their opinions. That's yours.

As for why I prefer my old, heavy bike to say, a Japanese bike. Well, first of all, my bike is what the Japanese bikes are trying to look like. Second, my bike is just that. My bike. No one else's bike looks like mine. Fully custom. Third, it may not have 125 horsepower or whatever like a vmax, but it does get up and go, and the horsepower difference isn't really all that much when you bore your engine and do other performance mods. Oh, and finally, I ride my Harley because I like it. It is fun to drive, gets lots of looks, and really is a nice bike.

(Oh, and bring your vmax or shadow to a biker bar sometime and we'll see who'd bike looks better the next morning)

If you want a sports bike, buy a sports bike. If you want a bike that looks like a V-twin American cruiser, buy a V-twin American Cruiser. Wannabe.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You are basing your statement on highly inaccurate information there bubba... "numbs your butt"??? Get F*cking real :rolleyes: ANY Softail or Glide model treats you like a king. I could ride the thing for hours and hours and feel none the worse for it. Then again, I couldn't do that on the old rice burner that was my first motorcycle (Yamaha Virago 750). On that you HAD to get off every hour or so, or you WOULD have a sore ass. I have gone longer on the Harley and felt just fine.

"overly loud" dude, get real. Most people that change their pipes, do it for the looks, NOT the sound level. Mine DO have baffles inside of them, I just didn't like the look of the stock pipes.

Are you trying to reference the V-Rod??? Get the name right, or don't bother to say anything. :rolleyes: Oh, and are we talking about the V-Rod here?? NO (get with it dumb-ass).

Jap. cruisers have a market, but then again, once you ACTUALLY RIDE a new Harley you finally understand their attraction. Until you have, keep your moronic statements to yourself.

Most Harley riders feel pretty much the same about their rides as Mac users do about their computers. The easiest, and fastest, way to be handed your ass is to start talking sh*t about either.

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hey mcrain, this is one of those times that I actually agree with you :eek:

The Japanese bike makers have been trying to capitalize on the Harley look for YEARS!

I get people coming over to look at my motorcycle just about every place I stop... The Harley Davidson name on the tank helps, as does the fact that you can tell it's a Harley with just a glance. It will look even cooler when I get my Corbin saddle in a short time (waiting for it to arrive).

I am thinking about getting the tank and fenders painted in another year or three, we shall see. I need to come up with something unique and that I will be happy with. I also need to research some artists to see what kind of work they do. I also will try to get some sketches from them, to see if I like their ideas or not. I might change the rear fender before I get it painted, which is the main reason for the delay. I need to see what I can get away with, and still use the saddle bags I have.

14. Pants macrumors regular

I'd only come over to laugh at your bike...
    ;)

I mean, why do people customise harleys? simply because when you buy it, it doesnt work. The brakes are agricultural, the ride is like a waterbed (minus the blonde) and the engine is circa 1955. Now theres nothing intrinsically *wrong* with any of this, just they are a lot of money for not an awful lot of value. And that whole leather fetish scene and 'return to biking' 55 year olds just makes me want to avoid them like the plague.... If you have to buy a Harley - buy an old one - much nicer.

Having said that - any convert to the world of bikes is welcome - irrespective of bike. And if you want a dirt bike, go get a Husqvarna and wet yourself... :)

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Ok, bubba... you are just begging for it. The Harley engine (88B) was a new design a few years ago. NOT from 1955 :rolleyes: . The brakes are disc front and rear with more then enough stopping power for the weight of the Harley :p. The ride is NOT like a waterbed. Judging from your moronic statements I am forced to believe that you have NOT been on a Harley that is newer then 1955.

The new Harley's are just as great as the older ones, actually they are better in so many ways. I'm not in that 55 year old range, so get off your brain so that your synapsis can start to fire normally.

Since you really don't understand the REAL reason why people customize their Harley's you wouldn't understand me explaining it to you. It has NOTHING to do with technology, it has EVERYTHING to making your ride unique. There are plenty of people out there riding stock Harley's that have never customized a single item on it. Then there are people that have changed everything except the engine and frame.

Go ride around on you stinkin dirt bike... :rolleyes: and leave the real rides to the real men. :p :D

16. Pants macrumors regular

thought that'd wake you up...
    ;)

hehe ! a whole disc on the front? do they come with braided hoses yet or do they still ship with those comedy ballooning rubber hoses? :) please explain to me why harley owners feel the need to continually customise their bike with leather tassles, satchels, mullets and screaming eagle paintjobs? (the only thing that does scream mind......)

well, if they're good enough for Whitney Houston..... :rolleyes:
    stinking dirt bike? no - its a 4stroke - 2 strokes both stink and scream however....I'd swap your harley for an rgv500 any day - both are equally unreliable though - but one would make you grin whilst it was working, and it aint the harley! ;)

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Remember what they say about sleeping dragons???

When you have a large disc up front, you don't need two. I would have to check the lines on mine, but that isn't really an issue.

Don't group all of us with the tassle freaks, you won't find any of that on my Harley, nor will you find the concho's. Saddlebags have a purpose, to carry a few six-packs for the ride (for when you are done for the day and want a cold one). The paintjobs are part of the individual expressesion. No two should be identical.

You can keep your retching dirt bikes, and shove them up your ass for all I care. Ever since Harley bought themselves back from AMF, in the 80's, they have had quality where it should be (i.e. HIGH, just like you are :rolleyes: ). It took them a couple of years to iron out all the issues in the manufacturing line, but that has been done for ages now. There is a reason why they don't put out more motorcycles a year. They could, but quality could suffer, and that is a trade off they are NOT willing to make. Most people getting a Harley are willing to wait for theirs to arrive. Hell, I only had to wait a couple of months for mine. Order up one now, and you would be lucky to get it before 2004 (forget about getting a 2003 Softail right now). With the 100 year models coming out soon, they are already sold, at least the more popular models are.

18. Pants macrumors regular

I'm poking you with a stick...sorry... ;)

I'm not a (modern) harley fan, mainly because of the fan base they seem to attract (yeah - the wannabee angels, and pink leather jacket brigade....). That and they seem to be designed for American roads - twisty lanes and a wallowing suspension sadly just dont cut it here.

I'm also not a big dirt bike fan, but having recently taken out a Husqvarna and wet myself with its sheer wheely grunt and poise, I could easily be a convert! Whatever, to the original poster, go get yourself some lessons, a decent set of leathers and forget about music on a bike - the bike *IS* the music!!

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Ok, Bubba, where the f*ck are you??? Empty location field's don't help much :rolleyes:

I don't care what the other riders are, what's important to me is riding itself, on the best f*cking ride there is (a HARLEY ya mook).

Gee, the Harley is designed for American roads?? Go on. :rolleyes: Could it have something to do with the fact that Harley-Davidson is an AMERICAN company??? IF you don't like the ride, don't buy it, no one has a gun to your head telling you to purchase the best motorcycle in existance (Harley). Go ahead, get one of those Japanese bikes. The second you roll off the lot, you loose money. I could turn around and sell my Harley for more money then I either paid, or have invested in it. :p

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm asking what I paid for my bike PLUS what I put into it customizing it, and that's absolutely fair. In fact, probably about the right price for a bike like it.

As for other bikes, I understand why someone would want a nice smooth engined japanese bike, but why on earth would you want one that looked like something it isn't.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to say to my wife, "No, that's not a Harley, it just looks like one." F*ing posers.

If you want a crotch rocket, get one. If you want a road bike, get one. (Honda has my respect there, at least they aren't copying HD, they have their own style).

If you want a bike that's a V-twin, don't buy some cheesy fake HD made by Honda or Kawasaki or Yamaha, and then say you bought it because it's a better bike. You bought it because you're too f*cking cheap to buy what you really wanted.

What this all boils down to is jealousy. Imagine my whiney voice: "Oh, I can't afford a mercedes... they suck anyway." "Oh, I can't afford such a hot bombshell... she sucks anyway." (Actually, she does, but that's besides the point.)

HD's have a cult following. You have every right to not like them, but believe me, they are fine machines. As for quality... I have an 83 that runs like a dream. Supposedly they had quality problems, but I haven't had any major problems.

Sick em Alphatech!

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Isn't it one of the signs of the apocolypse when the tax man and I team up??? LMAO!! Harley did have issues back in the AMF days, but that is history. You cannot use that to gauge the current models of Harley.

Hey mcrain, you a member of HOG yet??? I have the national membership, and just need to make it to the local meeting to get that one. Both are free (the first year) when you purchase a Harley from a dealer. There are many benefits to owning a Harley. Not the least of which is that you are buying a piece of American heritage along with supporting one of the oldest American vehicle companies around (they turn 100 in 2003).

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm a member. I was going to join another organization too, but they were mostly about getting rid of helmet laws, and I think that's just plain silly. If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet.

The apocolypse is upon us!

Oh, one other benefit of buying a Harley... they are expensive, thus you are doing YOUR part to help the local taxing authorities. I say good for you, and thanks!

23. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Pants, I'm with you on this one. I never liked the old fat man with a bin laden beard sitting on a harley with more leather than a field of cows. Even if that is a stereotype, I don't like the look of the bikes, nor the noise. Here in England thankfully there are more jap bikes. I'm also starting to like the new triumph who have followed the model of the japs. Flame me all you want but the Japs have the advantage, in speed, accel, looks and if you asked the average person on the street which they'd rather have, I think I know who would win.:p

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Speed and acceleration, maybe, but looks is purely subjective. As for the average person, first, it depends on the street, and second, on your definition of "average person." I've been to london and walked down the streets behind the 400 piercing, 12 inch (sorry 20cm) mohawk, some punk music blaring out of earphones, "normal" guy, and my guess is his answer would be very different from a small-town, middle of America, blue collar worker.

I'm sure if you polled the "average guy" over in London versus the average guy over here about the queen mum, most guys over here would think you were nuts for even asking.

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

W-_-W, honestly, I don't give a rat's flaming rectal cavity WHAT you do over in england. We whipped your asses back in the revolution, and then saved them in WW2. :p

I would much rather see the engine of a Harley then all that plastic of your f*cking, whining, rice rocket. Who gives a sh*t if you can do 150mph+?? You hit ANYTHING on the road at that speed and you are DEAD (just like the stuff between your ears). You might get there faster on the rice rocket, but at least on a Harley, you get there in style.

As for your stereo-type of a Harley rider, get with the times you wanker... Most of the Harley's being purchased these days are white collar professional people that want to own a piece of America and are in the position to really enjoy it.

You can take your rice rocket and cram it. I see people that ride those all summer long with nothing but shorts, sneakers (if that) and sometimes a helmet, weaving in and out of traffic. If you are not intelligent to at least wear something approaching proper gear, you deserve what you get when you go down. By proper gear, I mean, jeans, boots, gloves (at least 1/2 finger), a helmet (of some kind), sunglasses (goggles at night if no windshield) and A jacket (leather is the best, but denim works almost as well).