I saw a 27" TOUCH Screen iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mikebike125, Nov 19, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I went to the auto show here in Charlotte and over at the Nissan display they had 4 or 5 iMacs but I didn't see any keyboards or mice near them. I looked at the screen and decided to touch it and then I saw the mouse move! I was able to scroll around and double tap on the screen pretty much everything I would expect to be able to do with a touch screen.

Upon closer inspection I noticed a lip maybe 1/32" thick that looked like some sort of overlay on the original screen but I didn't see any wires hidden anywhere. It was a very professional job whoever did it. I was really surprized to see this but wanted to know if any of you know about touch screen iMacs. Personally I like having a mouse but this was kind of cool.

2. macrumors 6502

an overlay that plugs into usb port

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

that's the thing, I didn't see a wire for something to plug into the USB or anywhere.

4. macrumors 68030

forty2j

Maybe Bluetooth.

5. macrumors 6502a

I've seen a company that makes screen overlays for the iMac (the original glass comes off). Search in YouTube (in my phone so I can't).

6. macrumors regular

Kroner

Maybe something like this?

7. macrumors regular

MacGizmo

The only good use for a Touch Screen desktop computer, IMO. A kiosk.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

No. I should have taken a picture of it but even if I did all you would see is a normal looking iMac screen with only the power cable in the back. The "chin" still was silver and looked just like normal.

9. macrumors regular

10. macrumors regular

Kroner

Yep, you probably saw something different. Although the one I linked does show that they also have options for a normal looking iMac on their site

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

It operated like what I saw and was probably the Factory installed option.

12. macrumors 6502a

I don't know, my kids touch the MacBook screen all the time, expecting it to act like the iOS devices we have. I could see it on a laptop more than a desktop; the distance from keyboard to screen is much smaller. Maybe a future BTO option... Although Apple would probably double to price of the computer then :rolleyes: