I saw four PS3s! And no one wants them!

Discussion in 'Games' started by twistedlegato, Dec 15, 2006.

1. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

So i was walking into my local Ebgames store to but Rayman Raving Rabbids (a bit dissapointed but good) the person at the regester said they had 4 60GB PS3s!!!!

I look behind him and yup! There they are. I was think, people shot each other over these things! And there were four just sitting there! I did not buy one but i thought that was just very strange! He said that he has been telling everyone about them and no one wants them!

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

<pop>

That sound you just heard was the PS3's hype bubble officially popping, a scant one month after the console was released. People have finally realized that the emperor has no clothes. ;)

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Must have been that dumb video where two middle aged men claimed to burn a ps3. i'm sure that was it.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Probably they don't have the money for one. When I walked into EB Games today I was still taken aback by the $600 pricetag on it. My dad wants one though, but he hasn't the money to spend on it even though his PS2 is in it's dying days.

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

There arent many great games for it out YET. Also people do not have HDTVs to use the power of the ps3 and the money to buy hdmi cables for it. As for me, bought the 20gb and going to install a nice fat hard drive for it.

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

If you can afford an HDTV and a PS3, you can afford HDMI cables. Besides, like every other cable at retail they're incredibly overpriced. You can get a 10ft 24AWG HDMI cable for less than $20 if you know where to look. I used to have a friend who worked at Best Buy that'd buy cables with his discount because employee prices were based on cost to the store... they marked cables up 1000% or more. I remember he got a $100 Cat-5e cable for less than $10 once.

There aren't many games out for the Wii either and you don't see them laying around. I think Sony really blew it this time. No one seems terribly impressed with it.

7. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

Saw two at Target last night, and they were still there tonight.

8. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Still not any around here, but I have messed with a display model and I am not really impressed over my XBox 360, but I will probably buy one when the newest version of gran turismo comes out for it...:eek:

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

A smaller local store here has 20GB PS3s in stock, and last night I was in Wal-Mart and they had 60GB in stock.

The display unit for the PS3 was frozen (Motor Storm) and previously it was frozen days before, on NBA 2K7... I guess it wasn't just the software.

They also had an advertising unit, which seems to always be talking about chips and processing power, I guess they think THAT is how you sell a game system.

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

My friend works at EBGames and their unit freezes up as well. From what I hear, it just doesn't function well in such a closed space. It overheats.

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i had one in my hands but I just bought a TV for my room so thats where my $700 went. Ah well, there is always spring :D

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'll pick one up if and only if Blu-Ray ends up winning the format war. Yawn.

13. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

That's quite interesting!

Makes me wonder whether Sony with intro the console in Europe earlier if they can easily meet demand in the US? Naturally, a few PS3s lying around here and there doesn't mean that demand is not longer outstripping demand, but it sure is odd after all the fanfare the past weeks!

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well people are still camping outside Bestbuy around here the day before PS3's and Wii's come into stock so there must still be some demand despite what clayj will say.

15. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Its kind of lame that the ps3 doesn't come with an HDMI cable included. The HD capability is one of its main selling points. Why risk people being underwhelmed because they don't use the correct cabling?
    :confused:

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sure, there's still some demand for PS3s.

Some.

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Sure, but how many of those people are legitimate buyers and how many are resellers? My guess is the majority of those campers are hoping for profit rather then actually wanting the system.

Point is, lines don't mean there consumer demand. Stock on shelves of a rare product, well, that seems to say something about true demand.

18. wako macrumors 65816

there arent any good games for the PS3... why bother with a system you spend alot more than it's competitors when there isnt much to do on it? Im not surprised by the lack of demand on the PS3.

Wii360 for mii

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thing is if people are starting to move away from launch influenza that surrounds a console this quickly (only a month) after it hit the shelves, it makes you wonder how its going to be in 3 months time.

Sony claim they have sorted out the production difficulites. But does anyone care ? The initial mad buyers/ebay sellers are finished so now the console has to sell itself on its own merits.

Sony better get some great games out, it's got 2 competitors so it cant rest on its laurels.

20. Queso macrumors G4

The Wii has completely stolen the PS3's thunder, something which I'm personally happy about. Gameplay should be more important than how many polygons per second the thing can draw.

Home run to Nintendo.

21. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Only reason why I'd buy one is for the Blu-ray player. I can't find a cheaper player than the PS3. Anyone else?

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

someone should tell Ubisoft ;)

RedSteel - turkey
    FarCry Vengence - turkey
    Rayman - average at best

and whilst gameplay is important, lets remember it doesnt have to be mutually exclusive from looks.

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Honestly, I thought Red Steel was kinda fun. Only played it at a friend's house for a few minutes, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been lead to believe. Sure, the cinemas are ass and the story is stupid and the voice acting sucks, but the gameplay is fairly entertaining.

More proof-of-concept then anything else, I guess.

24. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

I bought a 360 last spring out of want for a next gen system and tiring of waiting for PS3 and Wii, even after having swore I would never buy an xBox.

But I really do love my 360 now and LIVE is just done so damn well. They have started to mix up the games a bit instead of pumping out PC type clones.

I recently got my Wii and love that as well, but I have to admit that other than my raging need for Zelda and Rayman I most likely would have held off on my Wii purchase had it not been for that launch title. I would have waited for smash brothers and metroid and probably a Resident Evil game before buying.

and THAT in my opinion is where Sony fell down at launch. They will bounce back (it may be too late to win the console war this gen, however) and eventually make their profit, but they really missed getting that one launch game out there that made you have to have the system.

I mean, yeah, Resistance is cool and all, but it's like call of duty with aliens. Sony should have launched, no matter what, with a Gran Turismo or a FF or a Metal Gear, etc. They didn't have a single one of their key titles out at launch, and people aren't riding the Ridge Racer train anymore.

With that said, one thing has happened that has guaranteed that I'll eventually purchase. PS1 to PSP game transfers. It's that simple. That feature alone has truly made me want to get my hands on the PS3 again. I play my PSP and my DS Lite more than any of my other systems because i have them with me most of the time. If I could load my favorite PS1 games onto that puppy my PSP's value just increased ten-fold.

So I'll be waiting for at least a gotta-have-it game and a few more titles to be added for download and then yes, I will most likely got and get the PS3 (after it drops a 100 bucks in price next year).

The other thing to take into consideration is that many people were trying to grab this for OTHERS for christmas this year. It is hard for me as a regular middle-class citizen to justify spending nearly a grand (after getting a game or two and the HDMI and extra controller) on a system for MYSELF right here at christmas. I'm sure that rings true for many people who want the system. The price was a HUGE hindrance given the release date. I can buy most of my parent's and siblings gifts with that money.

So yeah, Sony made some mistakes, big ones even. They may not outright win this console generation. but have no doubt that they will do well with the console and the games as things pick up speed in the new year.

I'm not defending Sony in any way, just presenting a logical look at their predicament and how it doesn't really spell disaster for Sony as so many system fanboys would like to fantasize.

I'm pretty excited about the new generation in gaming as a whole, and now that I have broken through my xBox prejudice, I'm looking forward to enjoying it on all platforms. (since my MacPro can even play PC games now, heh :) )

Just my 2 cents,
    technocoy

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't had chance to play single player yet, but multiplayer was brilliant.

I suppose it's like all the TP stuff. I've heard 3 people talk negative about it, but 2 people who are more like me and enjoy the same things absolutely find it the greatest game ever. Seriously, was speaking to an Australian game dev last night, he was telling me about this shooter he was making and suddenly spun off into a huge love-athon for TP. Point is even the best game ever can have its critics, whilst the worse can have it's followers (apart from that appalling PS3 Gundam game, eww).