I saw the two towers!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Apr 11, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

What a nice movie, I want to watch it again. The story was smooth, the special effects clean (with some minor very complex stuff).

I really like the elfo guy when he got the horse and jump around him, that was such funny exageration.

Sorry to post this now but the movie was release just last week.

It gave me a good perspective on how the battle is gonna be here in my country.

Very nice movie, very well done, a bit confusion if you do not have good memory to remember all the details.

Now, I do not know why is called "the two towers" I haven't see any tower around, just one with the eye on it.

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: I saw the two towers!!!

It's named for the Two first-age towers of Orthanc and Baradum (Orthanc and Mordor) that ally against Middle Earth. Though it could also be though of as the juxtaposition of the White Tower of the City of Gondor opposing the Tower of the Moon, from which the Nazgul are deployed.

Initially there were 4 towers (as I recall): The White Tower of Gondor, the Tower of the sun at what is now the Grey Havens, Orthanc, The Tower of the Moon in Minas Morgul and the Tower of Mordor.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i think the obvious connection (not literary, about that mischief is correct) is the tower of Isengard that Saruman occupies, and the Tower of Mordor which Sauron (the eye thingie) reigns from.

shame they couldn't put more of the history in...

pnw

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i saw some guy on carracho hosting a 3.2gb dvd rip of the two towers. damn that has to be good quality to be 3.2.

iJon

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

It's gotta be bootleg though, cause The DVD isnt even out yet.....so, it's proly just uncompressed mini-dv.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, but that would be unreasonable in the time they get. if you liked the movie, the books are 2^10000 times better, no kidding.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Though I doubt that the films were ever intended to be more than an accompaniment to the books. A tribute, an illustration but certainly NOT a replacement.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

nope, they sent out dvds to the academy award judges to make sure they have seen their movie before the oscars.

iJon

9. sillymacgirl macrumors member

Read the book first!

Well, as of yet I have not seen the movie nor read the book...but one thing I can tell you is this...never, ever watch a movie then read the book...the books are always SO much better...movies tend to butcher story lines.

10. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: Read the book first!

1 major exception: RainMaker was a decent book with a mediocre ending. The movie was a much better ending and yes, I did read the book first.

11. sillymacgirl macrumors member

Re: Re: Read the book first!

I read the book(which I hated and it surprised me because I'm a huge Grisham fan) but haven't seen the movie...I guess it's time to go to Blockbuster! LOL

12. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Re: Read the book first!

No they dont. There is a difference between a book and a film, how a story can be told, and what you cant do. You have to make the story work as a screenplay, not as a book, or you dont have a film.

They dont 'butcher' it. They make it work as a film(or dont but tried to, it depends on the movie.)

13. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I would have been happy if they'd just edited bits out of the story. What we have is an unfinished Volume Two (The Two Towers). Sam should have killed Shelob by now and be thinking that Frodo is dead, but what we had was hollywood inserting a big dollop of poo post Faramir and the cave bit. Looks like the third film will be The Two Towers ptII/The Return of the King.

I think that interpretations should not invent, if you you want to invent go and invent yer own story.:mad:

14. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

I'm too lazy to read a book, specially that book. If I can not even understand the explanation of the 4 towesr in 3 lines, no way I can understand the book.

Books are so good, I was reading a book once and I like it so much that I did not want to fisnished, so I left the book 50 pages before the end.:rolleyes:

That's me.:D

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

In the beginning the Gods placed the first Elves upon Middle Earth. One of the Gods, (The Tolkein equivalent of Haephestus) had created Dwarves on his own... seperate from the original design.

Elves lived and warred amongst themselves for a long ass time... The traded with Dwarves, warred with Dwarves and were finally overrun by a conflict that involved the Queen Ancestor of all Beasial Spiders, a banished Evil God, the destruction of both the North and South World trees, the restructuring of Middle Earth and the creation of Mordor and the Death Fens.

After the War of the Silmarils (Jewels that contained the remaining Light of the World Trees) Mordor had seen it's first Dark Lord: The bannished and deminished Evil God. The Nameless One later inspired and enthralled Sauron and Saruman, Created creatures such as Orcs in parody of Elves, Trolls in Parody of Ents, Balrogs to General his Armies and Dragons to be the Balrog's leutenants.

Men appeared after the war of the Silmarils and their first cultural Peak was the Empire of Numenor that ended with the First war of the Ring and the scattering of the Numenorean Kings' line.

Gandalf the Grey was killed in battle with the last remaining General of the Dark God's Army. The Dark God was entoumbed under the Red Mountain into which Moria's Mithril veins ran to the peril of the Dwarven Kings.

The Four Towers were built during the reign of the first Numenoreans to house the Pilantyr Stones and searve as watchposts across Middle Earth from the Sea to the Valley of Minas Morgul and finally, fatally in Mordor itself. The Tower of the Sun was destroyed at the Grey havens in the First War of the Ring. The Towers at Mordor and Morgul were taken in the early days of that conflict and the Pilantyr stones at Gondor and Orthanc were presumed destroyed or lost. Due to that innaccuracy the Second War of the Ring nearly overwhelmed Middle Earth...... the Pilantyrs were where they had always been and their link to the Stone in Mordor proved the Undoing of the very two Men entrusted with the security of Middle Earth....

Read the last Novel .....:D ;)

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Don't be hard-pressed to read the novels. They aren't that
    good, and (to me) they are extremely boring. If I wanted
    to read a book full of songs, I would buy a book about songs,
    If I wanted to read about the lineages of kings, I would buy a
    book about the lineages of kings... If I wanted to read quality
    fantasy books I would not read JRR Tolkien - I would get something
    by Melanie Rawn, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, Storm Constantine,
    etc, etc, etc...
    :)

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Correct! I have it in 2 x 700Mb DivX avi's (god I love KaZaA), perfect quality! :D ;) :p ...but shhhhh!

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

mine if 4 parts 800 mb, plays full quality on my cinema.

iJon

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

All I know is that the 2 x 700Mb files I have play at VERY near DVD quality on my 43" plasma :D

...DVD Screeners...gotta love 'em! ;)

21. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: Re: Read the book first!

Another major exception: Blade Runner, where the movie was arguably much better than the story it was based on, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep."

Also, Shawshank Redemption was an almost verbatim word-for-word rendering of Stephen King's story, "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption". Interestingly, when I read the story I thought it was great (then again I'm a huge King fan), but it didn't really leave that much of an impression on me. The movie, on the other hand, I've heard mentioned by so many people as one of their favorite movies of all time...

22. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yo, man, I totally agree with you here. I've read The Hobbit twice but I have yet to make it through even the first book of the trilogy, despite multiple tries. And it's not like I'm not a fantasy fan - I grew up a huge fantasy and sci-fi fan (favorite series is Raymond E. Feist's "Riftwar Saga"). And it's not like I can't get through dense, long books. I've devoured many a 1000 page books like Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" (one of the best ever), and Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" (not the best writing, but certainly thought-provoking).

It's just that in my opinion Tolkien is just not...that...good. He had great concepts that established the entire genre of fantasy as we know it today. But he should've handed those ideas to a ghostwriter to actually write the novels. Seriously.

23. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The little scrolling ticker is pretty annoying tho

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've read the trilogy a couple times and recently, right before the Fellowship came to theaters I reread them. Although there is so much more going on and its truly an amazing story with a incredibly detailed back history - it is a bit dated in its wording - which should be expected since most of it was written before WWII.

But if you've ever read any fantasy books, Tolkein is the standard to which many are compaired. It changed the genre much like StarWars changed SciFi movies, or more recently the Matrix. You find evidence or similarities everywhere. And its always great to see where the inspiration came from.

D

25. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

How? When? Where? May I?

I guess I neevr should have read this thread, as I now know (a portion of) what is to come. I started the books after TTT premiered, and am well in to the middle book. I haven't decided which I enjoy more (films or books). Since I saw the first two films before I read the books, and will have read the last part of book 2 and the third book before I see those films, I will reserve judgment.

Since the films are certainly a success, has anyone heard of plans by Peter Jackson to make The Hobbit?

Gollum kicks butt!