I saw Wii Sports in HD

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMonarch, Dec 10, 2006.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I just saw the Wii commercial in HD for the first time.

... And they showed game footage... In HD... And it was awesome...

Too bad we can't have it. :(

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Well the commercial was HD but the game wasn't, so you really saw non-HD Wii Sports on an HD screen... yea.

3. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Seemed pretty crisp to me. Something tells me it was pre-rendered, like many other game commercials.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Anywhere online to see the commercial in HD? Or what channel/program/time were you watching? I've only seen the Wii advertised a few times and the commercial wasn't in HD (that I can recall at least).

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Probably being in progressive scan.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I played Wii Sports in 16:9 480i and the experience could not be any better.

7. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I saw it on TNT. I have HD satellite programing, even though it goes up to 1080i, I leave it set to 720p, since my TV is 1366x768.

Though it is through component, so that may be why I mistook it for HD. If thats how great the Wii looks through component, then I have another purchase to do.

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

It can be much better, 16:9 480p, the component cable makes a hug difference

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Definitely. But whatever, interlaced, progressive, so long as I can see what's happening I don't care. Alongside DDR this is social gaming solved.

10. benpatient macrumors 68000

TNT HD is not above upsampling commercial content. They upsample SD content all the time on that station...cause it's "simulcast" with the regular TNT...unlike Discover HD, for example, which runs completely different content compared to the SD counterpart.

There are advantages to both philosophies, but I personally like it when HD channels show nothing but HD, including the commercials.

Lots of HD channels don't even have standard "commercials" specifically all of the VOOM channels on Dish Net...

of course they don't have a huge amount of content, either...lots of "a look at what's happening on another VOOM network" spots play on any given day...