I say B**chfest until 12:01AM PST Sat morning

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LethalWolfe, Nov 3, 2004.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Now who is with me? I know there is a lot of emotion running high right now, and, IMO, people have a window of time to b*tch and then it's time to make a choice: Accept it or actively work to change it, but either way you have to stop b*tching. There is nothing worse than hearing the same person whine about the same thing day in and day out.

So I say everyone gets until 12:01AM PST Friday morning to work out all of the excess negativity and hostility out of their systems and then we all try and get along. Hey, there is a first time for everything. ;)

We are letting ourselves get divided. We don't need 1 person to bring us together we can come together ourselves. The politicans don't make this a great country the people do. When you look across the isle don't see a left-wing wiener or a right-wing nutball. See a fellow American. A fellow American who might happen to be a left-wing wiener or a right-wing nutball. As much as we, as a country, have worked on race relations, and religious freedom, and equal rights for women why do we still let ourselves become so deeply divided over politics? We can disagree and still be freinds. We can disagree and still respect one another. We can disagree and still support each other when facing an awesome challenge. We can disagree and still make this country a better place. It's all up to us.

The election is over. The votes have been counted. The results are in. We, as citizens of America and as citizens of our respesctive states, have been dealt our hand until the next elections. Now, what are we going to do? What are you going to do?

Lethal

EDIT: The clock has been rolled back to 12:01AM Friday morning. So every gets about 24hrs to be as mean and nasty as they want and then we wipe the slate clean and try to be civil. :D

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

First of all, great post Lethal. I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, the above quote applies to much of this site, not just the Political Forum. Perhaps it should be made a sticky. :D

Perhaps Saturday is too long, however. I vote for Thursday (tomorrow night) at the latest. I would really rather it happen immediately.

again, great idea and ideas.

I hate it when we fight.:D

3. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

hmmm.. maybe you are right. If the lasts to long then it will linger. My hope was for something very fast, very ugly, and very cathartic. I'll edit my original post and wind the clock back 24hrs.

BTW, I really liked your "chill out" post, but I came to it so late I didn't reply. It was already 3+ pages long and had developed a life of it's own.

Lethal

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Quoi? But, but, this is the political forum. If there's to be no bitchting or mud-slinging, whatever shall we do?

But on a more serious note, I'm not sure coming together is a viable possibility. Both Kerry and Bush spoke about it, but the country is not only divided, it is polarized. People are *so* far left or right that they can no longer find common ground, myself included for the most part.

Bush said he's ready to bring the country together, but I don't buy it for a couple of reasons. First, he said the same thing four years ago. Second, I think his version of the country coming together is just the left rolling over and letting him do what he wants. Compromise is not in his vocabulary, because it shows "weakness".

I probably won't go long on my bitchfest, but I will continue to call Bush and his fundy-neocons on all their ********, and I will also not cooperate with their attempt to turn this country towards ignorance, selfishness, and intolerance. (Yes, I'm intolerant of intolerance. Sue me.)

5. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Simple. I don't need one of my trademark long post for this.

One side supports rights and liberty for all, and the other supports it only for their supporters. I'll give you two guesses which one is which, with the hint that the side in power is currently busy stomping on gays and, thus, not the ones in favor of equal protection.

There is no peace. There is no compromise.

Bush has driven a wedge the likes of which he could never have imagined, and it's the people who continue to support him that I will never, ever forgive. He didn't get into office on his own, and the ones who put him there bear the blood of American soldiers and foreign innocents on their hands. Perhaps the shreds of the Constitution and Bill of Rights would be a good way to dry them, once the Republicans are done tearing them up.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thanatoast, I don't think Lethal is, or I was (in an earlier thread) trying to make a little MR PoliForum love-fest.

Yes, we will always bitch, moan and argue about this, that or the other.

But it will hopefully be in a thoughtful and reasonable manner. I come on this board to learn about and debate what I find to be interesting issues and exchange ideas with some pretty intelligent people. I may even try and change a few minds doing so. I don't change anything by calling Bush an asshat fifty times. And I believe Bush is far worse than that. Still, I do not want to alienate other posters by having myself associated with posts that paint me as inflexible or unreasonable. I do not want to embarrass myself with such action either. That is merely my opinion.

I am dissapointed and worried about another four years of Bush, but I think we have all been in the shadow of this Election for so long, we must try and adjust how and it what manner we discuss issues. I think that the reason I come to this forum is because under normal circumstances, with intelligent debate, we are coming together, from around the country and the globe. And that is a good thing.

And what is true on a small-scale here, is applicable to the larger world in which we live in.

7. kjgnola macrumors regular

One of the best things I heard today, was someone said that everyone who is against abortion should adopt a child and everyone that voted for bush should send a child to iraq.

I also posted over in the Kerry concession thread so I won't repeat it. I will go on to say that while I do agree that at some point the bitching must stop and I really haven't even bitched that much today, surprisingly.

I do not agree that this country can come together at this point. Of course those of us who sit on opposite sides of the aisle and are friends will still be friends. But the paradigm of this country is now at a point where we find it difficult to respect the other's opinion. Bush and Kerry showed this during the campaign as did most of us and now just because it is over, we are not going to miraculously float towards the center. Or start thinking ‘wow, he had a point there…’

So here we go farther down this major right turn this country has been on, remember that it is not only bush that was elected by the right was out in full swing on the 2nd approving measures to amend many states constitutions with very conservative measures. And now with the number of judges the right will push through this country is in for a very long trip back in time. Progressivism is dead (for a while).

That ole Jesus Jones track may start getting more play: ‘Welcome back Victoria’

8. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Screw Bush. Screw Kerry. Screw the government. Screw the parites. You and I are coming together as inhabitants<sp?> of planet Earth. You and I are coming to as human beings. You and I are coming together as Americans. You and I are coming together on our similarities and agreeing to look beyond our differences. We may beat the crap outta each other, but that won't stop us from grabbin' a drink down at the bar at the end of the day.

We've become so polarized and defensive that we've stopped listening to each other. Generally speaking we've dehumanized each other. We've made it so easy to hate and marginalize<sp?> each other that that's all we do. All we do is beat each other up and write each other off. No good comes from that. I don't think you'll find "beat the crap outta the other guy" as a chapter in "How to make friends and influence people."

I think you are looking at it backwards Thanatoast. We, the people of the United States of America, have to come together. If we come together as citizens we have a better change of picking a President that we can be happy with. It won't work the other way around. If we are split into two, hard-head rival factions there is no way any national leader will be picked that both sides will like.

If we can't get beyond our differences we aren't going to vote for people that can get beyond our differences.

Lethal

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

But see, I consider Kerry a centrist candidate. He was against gay marriage, he thought of abortion as a neccesary, undesireable evil, he wants to take out Osama just as much as the next guy. I mean, how much more conciliatory <sp?> do I have to get? I'm more liberal than Kerry on many positions, but I was willing to let him do his thing, as he was the compromise candidate (as opposed to Kucinich or Dean). I'm sorry, but what I'm hearing from the leadership of the Right is that I must follow their strict ideology and give up the things I hold to be important - like equality, civil rights and not starting wars.

I think that one problem the Democrats have been having is that they compromise with the Right too much, which is appeasment, which emboldens them. :rolleyes: I was willing to give a little, but I'm not getting any back. Kerry was for damn near everything Bush was for, he just wasn't willing to **** up the country and the world in the process.

With great power comes great responsibilty, and Bush has failed in this respect. He's pandered to his base, cut the Dems out of the process, and generally been an ass to our allies and caused more strife in the Middle East than he's solved. Why *should* I compromise with him?

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you think it is different over here ?
    works prettym uch the same...
    in 1999 after the election the conservative ÖVP died as 'choice' for because of their playing with power and forming a coalition with the FPÖ (the Jörg haider party for those not familiar with austrian politics)... with that move the ÖVP made itself practically unvotable for those who strongly dislike the FPÖ

the ÖVP throw away working together because if the made a coalition with the SPÖ (like the 20 years before) they would had to compromise (like most of the time since '45)
    the conservatives wanted to 'reign' not to 'work for the people'... for example they wanted to put god into the EU constitution ... luckily austria is small in the EU parliament...
    i wont vote for any ÖVP/FPÖ and KPÖ (communists) candidate in the near future regardless of the election

people start to get more politically involved between election ..which is a good sign in my opinion...democracy is more than voting every 4 year...

i held my self back a lot in the last days mostly because i was puzzled about the outcome (i thought that Bush will win but there still was hope) and perhaps too dissapointed ..but after all it's the people of the USA who get to decide about the most powerfull person in the world..with all the consequences for themselves and others

over the next decade both big parties in the US will run into problems and start to lose their voters to smaller ones just like it happened here in '80
    i'm hoping that more parties will arrive for the US ...2 and a 1 percent third isn't enough for such a big democracy

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No need for cathartic insult-fests. I've seen enough BS from both sides since the election already. (Obviously not all of you, but you know who you are.) Grow up and take it liberals. And conservatives, just grow up. Learn to accept defeat with pride and victory with grace. I haven't seen a whole lot of either here.

12. makisushi macrumors 6502

F U Mactastic.... ;)

13. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

If I only had a knife, I could cut the irony. :rolleyes: