:( I scratched my powerbook!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macka, Sep 13, 2004.

1. macka macrumors regular

I have a 12" Aluminium Powerbook and I scratched it in a car accident (not my fault). Are there any product or service available that can help me conceal or remove the blemishes??
    thanks

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Im not sure (but am also curious). They make TiPaint for the old Ti PowerBooks, but I have not yet heard of anything for the AlBooks.

3. fradac macrumors regular

actually

i got scratches on my powerbook at the airport security check point. they ask you to put it in a tray by itself wile going under the x-ray machine. and that plastic tray and it had dust particles and what not. my pb came out with scratches on the other side

anyway TiPaint does make somethin for the alubooks but it doesn't work atall. i ordered it. its just a paint, which work on the tibooks, because they were painted. i tried on my alubook and it looks like a child did nail polish.

i am very disappointed, when i get some money collected, i will have to have the bottom case replaced.

sorry on your pb

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

5. MagicPixel macrumors member

Hi Macka,

I don't know how deep the scratches are, but I've had loads of scratches on my powerbook that looked really nasty, but they came off after I gave them a good wipe with just my hand or a damp cloth.

If not, hope you have better luck with other solutions.

6. djkny macrumors 6502

Airport scratches

Macka,
    I got deep scratches and slashes on my bottomcase at an airport security checkpoint, too. I was so angry that I filed a claim with the TSA and after a 8 month process -- full application filed including 2 repair estimates, letter explaining what happened, eyewitnesses, etc -- the claim was denied.

Now you know that the TSA can damage the goods and there's nothing you can do about it ....

7. sgarringer macrumors regular

I hate to say this, and sound like a dick, but seriously, what did you expect? A laptop is simply a tool, it is going to get scratched, dented, bumped, discolored, etc. If you bought your laptop to serve as a museum piece, you shouldn’t have brought it with you, and if you bought it to use for work, you should only expect that like any tool you might use, it may show signs of wear. Airport security --are-- dicks, and they do purposely break a lot of ****, but I am sure that a few scratches on the bottom of a case isn’t that bad. We see laptops come here from airport security with spilled substances, ruined keyboards, broken latches and LCDs (couldn’t figure out how to get it open, so he popped out a screwdriver and pried until it came open).

8. Champale macrumors member

Actually

I think the point is that try as you might, it is unfortunate there are some things out of your control. I had a similar experience with TSA just last week and was horrified when the TSA agent placed my (heavy) backpack on top of my laptop as he was going through it. I got a scratch on my case and as someone who takes MAJOR PRECAUTIONS with his PB, I was bummed to no end by what had happened.

I didn't even bother to protest though, knowing that a scratch on my laptop, no matter how precious it is to me, is small beer for them.

True, TSA agents go through countless items of luggage everyday. And they perform a vital task which I'm grateful for. I can see how they'd be careless with the zillions of laptops they go through, but the point is it's still a bummer.

You buy a laptop to indeed use it. If you choose to treat it as a museum piece, that's your choice. The fact that some things are out of your control is the problem.

I haven't figured out a good way to get past airport security without endangering my laptop. I've thought of wrapping it in saran wrap with a slit in front so I can open it up if needed. At least that might protect it from scratches. If anyone has a better notion, please let me know!

9. NCTRNL macrumors regular

10. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Don't take it on the plane

From my experience there is no way to get through airport security without getting scratches on your PowerBook. I've tried a number of things, including wrapping it, but they always tell you to remove everything. The only solution is not to take it with you on the plane. Just have it shipped to the location you are traveling to.

And to those who say who cares about a few scratches? Well, I don't usually keep my computers for more than two years and at that time I usually sell them on eBay. Even a few scratches can significantly lower the resale value of a laptop and if you are able to claim that your PowerBook is in "perfect" condition, it will sell for a lot more.

11. macka thread starter macrumors regular

12. madtodaimax macrumors member

I dont know how the whole ceckpoint works, but can you not just put it in your bag in its sleeve and then wehn they open your bag, take it out?

13. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Whatever you do, DO NOT waste your money on that tipaint crap. It will only make things worse. I applied the product Conceal (for aluminum G5) on my 1.8 dualie and now it looks utterly horrible. The paint for one does not even match color of the case. I ended up putting a sticker over the affected area.

14. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Don't paint it. You're PB is NOT painted, so applying paint will only make it look worse. The best thing you can do is just leave it alone. While I sympathize with you, it's just a scratch. You'll have a new computer in a few years anyways, no big deal. Anyways, it adds character.

15. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Man, what a drag, remind me never to fly to America. The airport security down here in New Zealand are nowhere near as O.T.T, but then no-one has a flown any aircraft into any buildings down under (yet).

I guess the airport staff are used to big ugly plastic PC laptops.

Still, you would think that these aluminium alloys could be a little more robust than they seem to be, it is solid metal after all, but is it any real practical improvement over the TIBooks?

A practical suggestion might be: Put some clear adhesive plastic on top and bottom before you get on the plane, it will protect the most vulnerable areas of the finish and still allow the laptop to open OK and the security guys to see its a laptop.

You know the stuff, you often see it on the glass displays of electronic gear and appliances when you first buy them, it's called Coverseal down here, kids use patterned & coloured versions to dress up their schoolbooks.

You can buy it by the roll, and take a few sheets with you already cut to size when you travel.

Mind you, I've never actually tried it, but it should help. The aluminium front of my dishwasher came with some on it for exactly this reason, to protect the finish fromn scratches while it was being shipped and man-handled into place, so it ought to work OK on a solid aluminium laptop.

16. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I have a tip for all you airport junkies afrade to take you lovely through security. A friend of mine travels alot, and has learned a good trick to prevent scratches on his pride and joy, Pda screen protectors. He bought a huge box of them off ebay for like 25 cents a piece. He just covers his powerbook in them before he leaves and takes them off when he gets back, sure they look like crap but they work like a champ. They come off easly too.

You might even be able to get some of the clear plastic slatic cling sheats from a printing buesness, that might look better because you could cut them to size from a single sheet, and they would be reuseable.

17. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I've taken my TiBook through probably 10 different airports, and never had a scratch ONCE. You just have to be anal about it. Take your time, find a good tray to put it in, and eagle-eye if they stop and want to open it. YOU open it, and bitch if they say or touch anything. They wont throw you out, they'll just give you lots of attention, which is fine. The more eyes, they more they take care of it.

If someone came with 10 FEET of my powerbook with a SCREWDRIVER, I'd be yelling loud enough to have the entire airport security around me in a second.

18. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I just took a trip and had my PowerBook with me. I didn't get any scratches. Each time I had to remove my computer from my bag and place it in the plastic bin for the X-ray machine, I took it out of its sleeve and placed the PowerBook on top of the sleeve.