I screwed up didn't I?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheMonarch, Oct 11, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Ok, so it happened about 2 hours ago, but first a little background... But first, For the lazy:
    Summary: I might have hung up on a potential employer...

For the not so lazy:

This quarter [Just started for me], I'm only taking 12 credits in college, consequently, I only have 3 days of school per week, so I decided this might be a good time to find a part time job. I headed over to monster.com and posted my resumé online. All good right? This was about a week ago... Oh wait, I forgot to mention that in the contact info for my resumé I left my house phone (and not my cell, which I'd rather give), since I silence my phone because I don't want it to ring in class (and many times forget to turn it back up)...

Ok, a little more background. My house phone doesn't have caller ID, I don't know why, but we don't. Every time I try to suggest to my parents to get called ID, I'm either told "later" or "Shut up, you have you're own [cell] phone". Consequently, many times we have to screen calls through the answering machine (By picking up the phone, right after the answering machine has left a beep for the caller to leave, and we pickup the phone if recognize the voice of the caller... I know, ghetto, but not up to me, so whatever)... But what has apparently happened is that many times we get calls, and they DO NOT LEAVE A MESSAGE! :mad: ... WTF, thats what the answering machine is for!

From time to time, I find myself answering the phone because they keep calling and not leaving a message. A lot of times its some recruiter calling my house asking what I'm planning to do with my life (like its any of his business, and I find it mildly harassing). I reply "Uhh... I'm in College (duh [In my head])" Then commonly they continue anyways (even though I just shot down their "Money for college" argument) on what [Insert military branch here] could offer me. I quickly lose interest, and politely, say not interested, and hang up (Sometimes they're still talking). Many other times Its a telemarketer (Gah!).

Anyhow, on to today (I hoped I havn't bored you thus far :eek: )

Today, was a weird day, everybody was In some pi$$y mood for some reason, I dunno, but I tried to enjoy myself in class. Later, got home tired. I tried to relax, check email, snack, read a little MR.... And the calls begin... One call [answering machine:] "Hello bla bla bla, leave an mssage. Beep"... Nothing... Second call. Same thing. It rings a third time, I finally decide to get off my lazy a$$ and pickup the phone.

Me: Hello
    -silence-
    Me again: [firmer voice] HELLO
    Some guy with an unconfident sounding voice: Uh hello, this is the National Recruiting.... Something something

I instantly hung up, no questions asked. I was to tired to be bugged, I'm not joining anything, my brain didn't input anything after the word recruit.

Another call... Same, almost exact thing happened as answered call #1

Third! I answer again, National recruiting bla bla bla (I don't remember the rest) This time it was a person with a much stronger voice... I'm now angry/frustrated:

Me: CAN YOU STOP CALLING ME!... PLEASE! (I was talking over him)
    Caller: Still talking (almost yelling)... He said something, something... But only one keyword make it past my "stop calling"... The word Resumé[B/]...

I hung up right after I told him off, my finger was heading towards the talk/end button to the point of no return. I think I hung up on a potential employer... Yikes!
    As soon as I realized what I might have done, I checked online and got this (see pic)... Monster says no one has seen it... I'm now very confused as to who this person was. I feel like a jerk. But its too late...

Attached Files:

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

From the looks of it Monster doesn't even offer the option to see who has viewed your resume. At least that's what I conclude from looking at that pic.

jon

3. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Opps, wrong clip. But look:

Attached Files:

4. frances macrumors newbie

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nup, you did the right thing. It's their fault and you don't want to work for a company who will employ unconfident boring people to man the phones.

Honestly, some companies phone manners just plain suck, their either unsure of what they are trying to say or show no enthusiasm in the message they are trying to convey to you.

You should not have had to say hello more than twice and on the second one they should have leapt into action, not letting you hang up on them until the message was out.

something like:

"Hi, is this so-and-so? Great, we have just finished reading your resumé and want to get a bit more info before we offer you a position here at XYZ."

I dunno, I just hate people who are unconfident on phones.

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Why would you do that?

-Lazy-

J/Ks

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I guess that can't always be helped, but really, somebody working in a HR/job-recruiting field should have great communication skills regardless. So in this case, I agree w/ you Chundles.

8. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's me, well talkin' in general, I'm not very good with the verbal skills :rolleyes: I shold take a class or sumthin'

To OP: Don't get too worried about it, it's not like it's crucial you get a job really quick (or is it?). I've had a few interviews until I got a job (and it was only temp). There will be other opportunities.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the original poster should work on HIS phone skills. And tolerance. And manners. He might have to answer a lot of phones in his next part-time job. ;)

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

You're all missing the point... the caller wasn't the employer- the caller was most likely the headhunter WORKING for the employer to find new employees. (at least, thats how your post made it sound)

Yes, headhunters suck, but they're also an avenue to find work if you're unemployed. You ought to stop yelling at people on the phone...

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Mm, and most headhunters simply go around collecting CVs without a client in mind, just so they can throw a pile of them out when a customer comes knocking.