I seek guidance...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alxths, Jun 22, 2004.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2003
    I'll keep this short and simple:

I'm a student in a city where the job market SUCKS at the moment, in desperate need of a job(credit card bill, ack). I've been reduced to trying to get hired as kitchen staff(which will most likely mean dishwashing), and even then i may have trouble finding something. Though i AM confident i could probably get hired for that sort of a position within a month or so, there are no guaruntees and i need a job ASAP. I DO have the opportunity to work at a hardware/home store due to the fact that i know someone working there at the moment... the problem? That person is my mom.

... I'm sure there are some people out there who are thikning, 'so what's the problem?' and i envy you! But for me it's just a wee bit awkward.. especially since i'd like to use this opportunity to get to know some new people.. but if these people already know my mom as 'carol from work' or whatever... man.. that'd be wierd.

The store IS quite large, so it'd not like i'd be mingling with her constantly or anything but... bleh..

Thoughts on this? Should i go for it?

oh, i should also mention that because i'd be gettign the job based on my mom's recommendation, i'd have to keep it for at least a few months while there are other places i'd definately like to get a job at...
  2. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Go for it, parents are cool.

A few years ago my older brother was working in a telecomunication company and he recomend me for a position.

I got the job and I was earning the double as him just from the first day.

The good thing was that we had our comunication very developed and we were working faster than the rest of the people there, we made a good team.

The down side was that the company was in problems an.. as a brother, I was pushing him too much. Of course that is the experience I am giving to you now. Keep all the respect of the world towards your mother until she feels that feeling. Keep your distance but take advantage of the comunication you have between the two of you.

Be her son but not her kid. She will feel proud of you and this would be a very good memory for her in the future.

That is it.
  3. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    If it is you best prospect right now and you can't wait, go for it. Unless there is some other reason you don't want to be around your mother, you need to get the best job available to you.

Just do it. :p
  4. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Work with mom or fend off creditors? Doesn't seem like much of a choice. :)

I don't think your mom's recommendation obligates you to work there for any length of time, though, unless she made the recommendation on that condition, or told your prospective employers you weren't a turnover risk. Otherwise, while her help is appreciated, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try to do better if you can....which you might not be able to, for a while.
  5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    When in debt, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Take the job. Stay there a few months, or whatever. You might end up enjoying the job. BTW, if you work with your mom, maybe you can coordinate your lunch breaks together. That way she can pick up the tab :p
  6. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Take the job. It's good stepping stone. And who knows, it may pan out to something else if you meet the right people.
    Good luck.
  7. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2003
    Yeah it turns out that i'll be able to get a job in a completely diffferent area of the store, so things are turning out ok, it seems..

thanks for your comments :cool:
  8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    good to know you'll be separated, but even so. a friend of mine and his partner work for the same financial corporation. Both of their mothers do. One of their fathers. All siblings. And a lot of extended family. All in all, the two of them have like 2 dozen family members there, some in their own department. personally i couldn't handle that at ALL, but they love it... all their friends (except me) work there too. And i *almost* wound up working there. But i spilled the company kool-aid, so they didn't get me...

it's always an adjustment but i think most people can work with their family... you learn how to form a new dynamic, even if the kid is the boss, etc etc.

9. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    go for it. since you said you would be away from each other i doubt people could accuse you or your mom of anything/ besides you dont have much a of a choice in your situation, so this is definiately something you cant pas up
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    You'll be closer to your mom than ever before, and you'll both remember it forever. Whether these memories are pleasant or not....well, it doesn't really matter. :)

Take the job. Something better always comes along, and you'll always feel like you've missed out on something at whatever job you take.

And I wouldn't leave the job early if something else comes along. Your mum probably recommended you, and the boss probably offered you the job as sort of an informal personal favour. Its not like s/he has to hire you, but s/he's doing this because you're your mother's son, so don't make yourself out to be one of those guys who just quits after a week without notice or something.
  11. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    don't knock dishwashing too much. many chefs were dishwashers as teens and gained interest in cooking from always being around it.
  12. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2003
    well i'm almost 21, with years of retail experience, going into my third year of university; so i don't think it's wrong to feel that i'm a little overqualified for washing dishes :p

even though it'd be great as a foot-in-the-door opportunity to work as a cook, which i think i'd enjoy...