Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
I've got an Airport network set up at home, which includes my iBook, my partner's iMac and my NEW G5 (oh stop drooling).

I've also got a Xerox Phaser 3400 Postscript printer, which is an excellent little workhorse.

Only trouble is, I can't get it to connect to my network.

It works from my G5 (or iBook or whatever) if I plug it in using the USB cable, but when I connect it to my Airport Base Station using ethernet cable, it just doesn't show up in Print Center when I try to add it.

I've looked through all the Airport help, and my Airport manual, and it looks like it should just be a matter of plugging it in - but nothiing's happening.

Is there any other configuration that I need to do to make it work? I've restarted the computers and the printer (but not the base station - I'm scared of restarting the base station, since it always screws my internet for the rest of the day).

Any tips? This is annoying me. It used to work fine through my hub that was connected to the base station, but now that all my computers are airported, I've sold the hub because it was just taking up space.

Sigh.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
If you are plugging it directly into the Airport, try using a crossover cable instead. It may not be getting a link.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
This might be a dumb question, but does the base station support a printer over ethernet? I haven't heard of anybody doing it before. If you connect it to the USB port on the base station you should find the printer under "rendezvous printers"--might work the same for ethernet.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
This from Apple's site:

"AirPort Extreme lets everyone in a house or small office share a single Internet connection — and an Ethernet or USB printer — wirelessly. "

You had me running for the manual for a second there - I thought maybe I'd got it wrong - but no. It is supposed to do what I'm trying to make it do - it's just not ACTUALLY doing it.

Wonder if it's a printer problem? I might try making a direct Ethernet connection to MY DUAL G5 (oh, shut up).

EDIT: Okay, that didn't work. I'm calling Xerox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.