I shouldn't have optmized with TechTools

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Nov 8, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Read the title. I should not have optimized my hard drive (getting rid of fragments) using TechTools V3.0.4 I think that just slowed down my computer - excuse me, my beautifully crafted Mac. I used the Optimize Hard drive function on it. It just yeah, it just slowed this computer down. I'm considering doing a reformat, but will my Adobe Products stay installed or do I have to reinstall them? I have them on a separate partitions. That isn't the main focus of this thread, its just how Optimizing slowed down my computer.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Did you turn off journaling before you did de-fragmented? If you didn't, you may want to turn it off, then turn it back on. That may help things.

You really should be using TTP4, which blocks you from de-fragmenting while journaling is active.

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I booted up with the CD and that, how do I disable Journaling?

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You probably can't disable journaling through TTP version 3.x, I don't think it existed then. But you can do it using Disk Utility in your /Applications/Utilities folder. However, I don't think it'll let you change journaled status on the startup volume for obvious reasons, so you'll have to boot from an external hard drive or Apple CD to do it. You really do need to get TTP 4.x, using the older version could be bad for your system, if not dangerous.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Use Disk Utility to disable/enable journaling.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

No, from the looks of it there's no problem disabling journaling on the startup partition--just fire up Disk Utility, click the partition, select "Disable Journaling" from the menu (or use the toobar button if you've added it), then run TT, then go back and re-enable Journaling. Since toggling journaling only takes about two seconds, it's not a big deal.

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Just so I know,

What does Journaling do to the computer? Do I need it on all the time? I just want to know for future reference. Thanks

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Journaling is a process that automatically de-fragments all files under 20MB on the fly, and it also handles certain directory changes to help prevent data loss in certain cases with blackouts or crashes. I don't have any advice though along the lines of when it should be turned on or off.

9. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

With that info, I'll turn it on. Because with it, then I don't have to defragment my computer if it becomes too bad, it'll automatically do it for me. Well... maybe I'll turn it off for a week, turn it on, reboot. Leave it on for 2 days and yeah.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) You aren't running Panther (According to your Sig) so Journaling is of no concern.

2) However OSX has a special place it would like to have things on the hard drive. One way to fix the speed issue is to:
    A) Install any software, OSX then automaticly adjust files to their appropriate possitions.
    B) Repair Permissions, in Disk Utility.

3) You could reinstall OSX, but really, the steps above should help, if more is needed, try just reinstalling OSX, not formatting the HD, then if that doesn't work, start from scratch.

TEG