Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfayre

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
I would generally agree with Yoda13. When I was younger, My parents would buy things from me at prices higher than the going rate, just because they wanted too. If the parent(s) what to do this, that is their choice; However, with that said, I do not believe that is the case with the OP. After all he ended with the "hoodwinked her"

Definition
Hoodwink: verb [T]
to deceive or trick someone:

Sorry, when you deceive or trick your own parents, willingly... that is wrong… under any circumstances. And to be proud of such an act is unexplainable.

Jan 30, 2006
Give this guy a break.

Sometimes our mothers only want to make us a little happy. I really don't think this guy made a fool of his mother. He even negotiated with her.

ncook06

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
rimrocka07011 said:
Tell me something, if you purchased a new MBP today, would you either wait until April 7 for it to arrive or pay $170 to have it on your desk right then and there...

He has a very good point. But because I'm ridiculously cheap person, it would be hard to pass on the $170...

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
rimrocka07011 said:
Wow, I had the MBP for three days, it's not like it should go for half-price on eBay used. By the way, I got an extra 512 MB stick of RAM and the same HD I had in the original one. Tell me something, if you purchased a new MBP today, would you either wait until April 7 for it to arrive or pay $170 to have it on your desk right then and there...

She's not paying $170. You said she's also paying for you to get speakers, a shuffle and some other stuff. That's $170 + a good deal more for all that stuff.

To answer you question, given the choice of having a MacBook that had been opened and used for $170 extra or waiting a few weeks for one that is unopened I'd choose wait for the new one.

And I'll take the opportunity in replying here to go on record and state right now that I'd rather give up my own MacBook completely and never own one at all rather than rip off my own mom.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
rimrocka07011 said:
Wow, I had the MBP for three days, it's not like it should go for half-price on eBay used. By the way, I got an extra 512 MB stick of RAM and the same HD I had in the original one. Tell me something, if you purchased a new MBP today, would you either wait until April 7 for it to arrive or pay $170 to have it on your desk right then and there? I TOLD her the circumstances of the deal, yet she insisted on the price and that I sell it to her... you all would do the same thing too.

i would easily save the 170 dollars for something else and wait for it to come. And to think your in a single parent family and not that rich.

While i am the opposite end of the coin and have a decent amount of money and still would want that 170 dollars.

You sir are a horrible person. I would have given my mother a discount (huge one) for her bringing me up in a single parent family. I would have sold it to her for about 1500 then worked more and bought a new one when i could

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
rimrocka07011 said:
She had the money and the desire to buy a new computer, and she did (mine). Is there something wrong with that?

As private family matters are concerned, I would agree. However, you should know that the use of an emoticon is rarely enough to gloss over the real meaning of a statement that seemed to have more than a degree of smug satisfaction embedded within it ... "Needless to say, I hoodwinked her."

rimrocka07011

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Cleveland, OH
shadowfayre said:
I would generally agree with Yoda13. When I was younger, My parents would buy things from me at prices higher than the going rate, just because they wanted too. If the parent(s) what to do this, that is their choice; However, with that said, I do not believe that is the case with the OP. After all he ended with the "hoodwinked her"

Definition
Hoodwink: verb [T]
to deceive or trick someone:

Sorry, when you deceive or trick your own parents, willingly... that is wrong… under any circumstances. And to be proud of such an act is unexplainable.

Haha... I was just kidding. I didn't really hoodwink her, I just thought it was a good deal for me because I could get a better set-up. However I think that we both made out well, therefore in theory I really didn't "hoodwink"; rather, I was just happy that I sold my computer at a very good price and get a better set-up.

i would easily save the 170 dollars for something else and wait for it to come. And to think your in a single parent family and not that rich.

While i am the opposite end of the coin and have a decent amount of money and still would want that 170 dollars.

You sir are a horrible person. I would have given my mother a discount (huge one) for her bringing me up in a single parent family. I would have sold it to her for about 1500 then worked more and bought a new one when i could
^---------- from eva

Eva, $1500 for a MBP just because she's my Mom? Once again, I don't want to get into the financial logistics of my home situation, but there have been many times (when I was home working) when I gave my money to help out with bills and such. And then you want me to turn around and sell my new computer, which I worked damn hard this summer to earn, to my Mom at an $800 discount? I'm a "horrible person"? Please, you don't know **** about me.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
rimrocka07011 said:
If my Mom purchased the MBP in my sig from the regular Apple Store Online, at check-out she would have to pay $2276.88. Add that to the $37.04 she would pay to buy.com for the BT Mouse and the $15.95 she would pay to themissingbite.com for the mousepad, the grand total is $2329.87. Subtract that from $2500, the difference is $170.13. In reality, that is the cost she paid for "instant shipping." So really, she only paid $170 more just to have an instant MBP. Is that really that bad? Especially seeing that many of you who pre-ordered 1.83's were crying that you should've paid $500 more for a 2.0 just so you could receive it more quickly. Come on you guys, I had to cover my opportunity costs somehow!

So, was it your moms idea to pay an extra $170 for "instant shipping" or did you "negotiate" w/her knowing full well that she had no idea how much the computer+accessories actually cost?

If your mom wanted to over pay by $170 as a way to slip you some extra money (as some parents do) that's one thing. But if you screwed your mom out of $170 you're an ******* for doing it and a moron for bragging about it on the internet.

Lethal

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
iBlue said:
i still think she should take your ungrateful embezzling butt over her knee and spank you. tsk tsk tsk.

I can almost hear the voices of Mac Forums mothers rising in unison: "You go, Mom ... get to the bottom of this mess right here and now!"

fisty

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2006
what have we learnt here today?
if you ripp some1 of keep it to yourself especially if its a familiy person...lol

but seriously ripping ur mum like that...discrace

should have seen my mums face when my brother and me got her a ibook last year, she was hysterical of joy:D

yours mums face when she finds out....dissapointment...

grow up little teeny

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Cut the kid some slack

He's in high school, his mom's an attorney. I think she's fully capable of negotiating with her son. Plus, he used the extra money to buy study guides (which she would likely have bought for him anyway). It's not like he stole $170 out of her wallet, which would be pathetic (like Miles in Sideways). :)

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Seriously people, get off of his back. I've read through this thread, and initially I didn't agree with what he did, but after reading his responses I can't argue with the kid. He argued with his mom numerous times to tell her that she was paying too much, and she insisted on the price. As he said, he worked two jobs last summer to save up money to get the computer in the first place. Good for him, he has a sense of responsibility.

Isn't there anything better we all can do, rather than just sit her and hark on this kid who didn't do anything wrong?

Congratulations on your new, and old, set-ups rimrocka. Is this your first Mac? If so, welcome to the family.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
We shouldn't "cut the kid some slack" because...

He is clearly in need of an "attitude adjustment" here. It would've been one thing had he written a post describing how he told his mother that she could have his almost-new MBP and he'd simply order another one for himself since he didn't really need it again until he returns to school, and that they had negotiated a fair and reasonable price.... No, instead what he does is describe the situation, tell us how much he overcharged his mother and then to top it off, boastfully snickers that he "hoodwinked her." Ummmm.....

Guilty as charged. The defendant knew exactly what he was doing and purposefully, with selfish and amoral motivations therewith, took advantage of the plaintiff's lack of knowledge as to the exact monetary value of a slightly-used MBP and the other costs usually inherent in such a purchase (ie, shipping, accessories, etc.). The jury of his peers votes him GUILTY on all charges.

He suckered his mother, no two ways about it, and that is not acceptable behavior.

Makes you wonder about the values they impart in some of these expensive fancy boarding schools.....

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Clix Pix said:
He is clearly in need of an "attitude adjustment" here.

As I read your post I could envision Judge Judy reading it verbatim as she chastised the party involved from the bench.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Yeah, can the bashing please. I will agree it is WRONG to rip off your mom. She gave you life. That deserves respect. I just can't fathom doing that, for I would take a financial hit before I'd rip my mom off. That is my opinion and I will leave it at that.
But let me ask...if she sold you something and made a profit how would that make you feel?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Clix Pix said:
No, instead what he does is describe the situation, tell us how much he overcharged his mother and then to top it off, boastfully snickers that he "hoodwinked her." Ummmm.....

Right, exactly. the OP was the one who started this thread by saying how he "hoodwinked" her. Now he's changing the story and saying that she insisted on overpaying etc. etc.

don't brag about cheating someone (your own mom!) and then get upset when people aren't proud of your sneakiness... if you were honest and forthright about the whole thing why didn't you say that up front instead of starting by saying you cheated her? :confused:

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Everyone's overreacting here. This wasn't a bad deal, especially since it was her idea in the first place. She wanted it right away and she negotiated the price, had she ordered it herself she would have had to wait a month before it got there, instant gratification.

And I'm sure she was trying to help out her son in the process, she was well aware of what she was paying for.

I think when rimrock said he "hoodwinked" his mom, he was joking.

Stop beatin the kid up, the mother was obviously well aware of what was going on.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
Honestly I don't see anything wrong with him selling it to his mother at a higher price. She offered the price and she wanted the laptop. He ordered the same setup and gave his mother the product right away. Even if she offered him $2500 plus buying him $250 in extras, it's his mother for crying out loud, did none of your parents buy you anything when you were growing up? I can tell you right now, when my sons older and he has a new tech toy I like, I would offer him his cost plus a few hundred more to take it from him so he could upgrade. Kids like having the latest toys so they can show it off on the internet, parents do these things because they love there kids and do not mind paying a little extra to gain something right then and there. He could have asked her to buy him an entire macbook pro with the extras for $2500+ and she would have gained nothing.

I seen one or two of you posted.. "you sold a used macbook pro to your mom?" WTF how old is the macbookpro? 2, 3 weeks? if that. Let's try trashing the threads that need it, this was uncalled for.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
rimrocka07011 said:
Um, if you had read my earlier post, I mentioned the fact that I live in a single-parent household and I am on financial aid at my boarding school... I'm not exactly the poster-boy for the upper-class (I live in the city of Cleveland for god's sake). I saved $1500 this summer working two jobs, and this past Christmas I got enough money from relatives to buy a high-end PowerBook (I'm glad I waited until after Christmas!) Also my mother is a self-employed attorney (that means severe fluctuations in income; she is the only partner in her own firm) who recently settled a case for a good amount. She had the money and the desire to buy a new computer, and she did (mine). Is there something wrong with that?

uhh well I was actually trying to defend you here and you've taken it as an insult.

smokeyboi

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
gosh, some of you guys are so overdramatic. cut the guy a break...i'm sure none of us know the entire situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.