I spilled H20 on my keyboard, it doesnt work, have Final Projects due tomorrow! HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by teabgs, Dec 11, 2002.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

ok, so, I was working on my computer animation and drinking some water and...."whoops".

So, I Clean up the water but some got intot he keyboard, and now it doesnt work at all. Power goes through it since the mouse still works, But I cant even get my assignment (what I have since I was finishing it when this happened) off my computer because I cant type my password. It's too late to go out and buy a new keyboard, and I do have applecare so I dont want to buy one.

IS it dead? does anyone know if it will/when work?

I really need this keyboard to work, what can I do???? I'm trying to open the keyboard up to air it out, but I dont have the proper tools to get it open.

BTW this is my roomates computer I'm typing on....

Thanks everyone in advance

2. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Uhh, if your keyboard is fried how did you type your post?

Peter

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Is your roomate's computer USB? Use it. Try a hair dryer about 6 inches away from the keyboard. Otherwise, you might be screwed. Sorry man, it happened to me too. Yeah, I know, that doesn't help a lot.

Regards,
    Gus

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

water shouldn't be that big a deal. I've advised people who get things like cola spilled on their keybaords just to dunk the whole thing in water for a while (distilled water would be best), and let it dry a few days. I would pop off the keys and air it out, maybe use a hair dryer (thats NOT set to high and NOT set really close to it) to speed up the process. Hopefully that will work. Otherwise, you should see if you can borrow one in the meantime.

5. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

we dont have a blow dryer :(

his computer is an iBook.....so he doesnt have a keyboard that I can use, nor another cpu to test my keyboard on.....

will Apple at least give me a new keyboard if mine is dead? It's under warranty.....and how fast would they get it?

.....My stuff is due in 17 hours.....*shudder*....

Is ita bad idea to try and open the keyboard/will it void the warranty?

thanks again...

6. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

How do I pop the keys off??

just pull them? or with a wrench or something? I don't want to void the warranty/break it if I can help it.....

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

why don't you file share the documents over to your room mates computer and type it there

or else make some friends and see if they'll let you use their keyboard that is usb

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

problem is, he's doing 3D stuff with maya... won't work so well on an ibook

you could come get mine if you realllllly need to.......

9. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

If you're logged in, and the password is for something else, use key caps and a whole lot of trips to the 'Edit' menu.

10. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

hey, thanks man! I want to try and air this thing out (without breaking it) before going downtown and walking in the rain. I appreaciate it a lot...and I'll call you if it comes to that.

I emailed my professor, I hope he doesnt think I'm lieing. I can finish everything that I need (except for maya) with my roommates computer.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

isn't maya the bulk of what you have to do though?

alright, just call... try to make it sooner than later. ;)

some of us are done....

12. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

I also spilled water on my computer's keyboard (after having it for one week). I was sick to my stomach about it. I unplugged it and didn't use it for a few days and once it dried, it has worked great ever since (it's been over a year).

Strider's idea sounds legit.

I hope you can borrow one.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

teabgs - that sucks...

do you have an extra firewire cable?

Do this

http://www.savedbytechnology.com/main/techtip4.htm

Set your PowerMac as a "Firewire Target Disk" and mount it on the iBook (assuming the iBook has Firewire)... and you ahve a spare firewire cable.

Alternatively, go to Walmart... (most open 24 hrs) - buy a USB keyboard.

arn

14. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

My roomie doesnt have firwire on his iBook....I would have done that if he did.....

I was able to borrow a microsoft USB keyboard and just takethe rendered images from before and put them on my iPod....hehe Apple to the rescue? kinda? SO my animation will not be finished, hopefully I can get the keyboard working soon. Im going to put it by the heater tonight to see if that helps.....NOT on it though, just close.

I'd do it now but no apple button.... oh well. Thanks everyone....if anyone knows if I can take keys off of this thing without it being really bad I'd appreciate it.

Looks like I might be on hold with apple tomorrow, er later this morning.

15. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

you can try to download the drivers for the Keyboard from Microsoft, or you can try to download the USB Overdrive app, try versiontracker.com so you can map the 'windows' key to the apple key...

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

H2O...right...;)

Sounds like you've got it in hand, so I thought I'd get in a cheap shot. :D