Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
With all the negativity around here (including from me) toward Apple, I wanted to remark on just how much I love this little device. This has nothing to do with the iPhone 7, which is clearly better in many ways, but I was using my device today and just couldn't help thinking about how I it still gives me that old Apple feeling.

It's compact, light, fast and really does everything I need it to. When I was reading reviews on it prior to my purchase several people mentioned that it was hard going back to a small screen and that the small device meant they used it less. I still really don't get that. I went from an iPhone 6 to an SE and I use my phone just as much. I also don't get the "squinting" that one review mentioned. From what I've seen, content is usually the same size, there's just less of it. I use it for apps, web browsing and photos and never have an issue. (just like the millions of people who used these devices from the original through the 5S)

Either way, it's simple and it was a great value (in my opinion) for the price they charged compared to the tech inside (especially the camera) and I'm extremely satisfied with it. I'm curious what any of you think about it and if you are still happy with your SE.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Space gray iPhone 5s/SE is the best looking iPhone design of all-time. I used to believe the 2G and 4 series were but they just haven't aged as well compared to the 5 series. The space gray SE is a few shades lighter than the 5s. The second best design for me is the matte black iPhone 7 but it is still a smudge magnet and slippery.

I am sorta starting to feel annoyed by the Plus models especially the weight.

Design-wise and value, prefer SE. Looks to be the final iPhone with headphone jack, no camera hump, $200 cheaper with double storage than a 7, charges a tad faster, and the A9 holds up well vs all 2016 Androids. The matte iPhone 7 loses headphone jack, slippery, more of a smudge magnet, camera hump, better cameras, better speakers, stronger grade aluminum, waterproof, A10 Fusion (although not totally noticeable for real world), but may not beat SE in battery life.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Umm... I had an SE for a while & I loved it!!!

However, after upgrading to iOS10 for some insanely odd reason, mine kept over heating. The long battery life I loved suddenly become unbearable, lasting no more than four hours from a full charge. The back of the phone would constantly heat up and applications would stall, get stuck in various states, occasionally the entire OS would crash and restart without warning.

Annoyed the hell outta me, I contacted Apple assistance about this. They gave me various solutions in an attempt to solve the problem.. When all that failed, I asked would it be possible to change for a different model and to my surprise, they authorized a store credit for a phone that's over six months old.... I'm laughing.

Reactions: G1DRP and 5105973

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Umm... I had an SE for a while & I loved it!!!

However, after upgrading to iOS10 for some insanely odd reason, mine kept over heating. The long battery life I loved suddenly become unbearable, lasting no more than four hours from a full charge. The back of the phone would constantly heat up and applications would stall, get stuck in various states, occasionally the entire OS would crash and restart without warning.

Annoyed the hell outta me, I contacted Apple assistance about this. They gave me various solutions in an attempt to solve the problem.. When all that failed, I asked would it be possible to change for a different model and to my surprise, they authorized a store credit for a phone that's over six months old.... I'm laughing.

Wow, good for you. My SE performs well under iOS 10. My iPad is bit glitchy though.
[doublepost=1477356899][/doublepost]
Compared to?

Most UI elements and text on mobile websites and apps like Twitter are not any smaller than on the iPhone 6/7, it's just like 2 posts vs 2.5 posts. I don't understand these people who say they have to squint when using the SE. The app icons and UI buttons are the same size as well, just jammed closer together.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
What are you asking?

Sorry. I was curious as to the text size comparison.
[doublepost=1477357397][/doublepost]
Most UI elements and text on mobile websites and apps like Twitter are not any smaller than on the iPhone 6/7, it's just like 2 posts vs 2.5 posts. I don't understand these people who say they have to squint when using the SE. The app icons and UI buttons are the same size as well, just jammed closer together.

Does the SE used a different font size from the 5s?

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
If I didn't watch videos the iPhone 1 would be fine but that isn't reality these days and that's why most people want a larger screen. Videos and gaming etc

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Sorry. I was curious as to the text size comparison.
[doublepost=1477357397][/doublepost]

Does the SE used a different font size from the 5s?

Not that I'm aware of. But I used an iPhone 6 before the iPhone SE and the font is the same size.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
I used SE for a couple of weeks before I get my 7. Holyshit I love that phone. I seriously regret getting the 7 and not returning it in favor of the SE. Battery life was amazing, every single day I got over 10 hours of usage while my 7 dies when it is at 6.5-7 hours. I just wished it had a better front camera and a nicer screen but those are not dealbreakers and it is a great great phone.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Why shouldn't you still love it? Why is it something out of the ordinary when someone is still happy with a product they spent hundreds of dollars on half a year later?

Some people buy things with high expectations and they fall short. I was wondering if anyone was less satisfied with it as time went on.

Reactions: Rmonster

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Some people buy things with high expectations and they fall short. I was wondering if anyone was less satisfied with it as time went on.

Of course there are people who are less satisfied, especially on an enthusiasts site like this. There are people here who would buy a new iPhone every month if Apple released one, and there's also people who will use their phone until it dies in their hand. Most people are somewhere in between.

vdor

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
With all the negativity around here (including from me) toward Apple, I wanted to remark on just how much I love this little device. This has nothing to do with the iPhone 7, which is clearly better in many ways, but I was using my device today and just couldn't help thinking about how I it still gives me that old Apple feeling.

It's compact, light, fast and really does everything I need it to. When I was reading reviews on it prior to my purchase several people mentioned that it was hard going back to a small screen and that the small device meant they used it less. I still really don't get that. I went from an iPhone 6 to an SE and I use my phone just as much. I also don't get the "squinting" that one review mentioned. From what I've seen, content is usually the same size, there's just less of it. I use it for apps, web browsing and photos and never have an issue. (just like the millions of people who used these devices from the original through the 5S)

Either way, it's simple and it was a great value (in my opinion) for the price they charged compared to the tech inside (especially the camera) and I'm extremely satisfied with it. I'm curious what any of you think about it and if you are still happy with your SE.
The SE was a great phone, as it brought back my favorite form factor of the iPhone 5. However, while I loved it above all other phones I had before the SE (including better than the 6s and 6 Plus), I ached to have the real estate the Plus offered again. I won't be downsizing again as I believe the Plus is an ideal size for me, but I would say the SE is the best iPhone second only to the 7 Plus.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
loving mine too, originally bought as a nostalgic stop-gap to next years big redesign, but might stick with the 4"er from here on out.

one complaint though, and a fairly substantial one - the screen colors and temp just dont hold a candle to my old 6 (played with the calibration), really hope they bring better screen colors to the next iteration.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
i love love love my 64 Gold SE on 9.3.3 jailbroken, brings me back to another time. Good color and size contrast to my Matte black 7+ too, and i like white for its small form to be able to find it easily on furniture/tables, etc

Some critics say its just recycled parts (screen isn't bad, but compared to 6 or 7 it lacks, and is the most critical piece to this of using 'older parts' I love the 'old design personally it has timeless charm), and a cash grab while capturing a lower price sensitive demographic, but even if all of that is true--
they inadvertently created a beast of a phone in a small package, and proved one-handedness very much has merit still, a rarity/oddity in 2016. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, so maybe Apple struck gold here (no pun intended) and didn't even realize how well it would resonate and perhaps made it too awesome even though neutering it a little with first gen touch ID bad front facing camera and no 3D touch- dont detract from how awesome this thing is overall,
and even though the market for small phones was still there and being left on the table for people who held onto their 5s or older devices, 'twas time to re-capture the revenue from people that dont care to flaunt the latest looking tech and just want good tech and a reliable phone.

served well to fill the minor gap to selling 6s plus and getting 7+ (a week downtime), and I still want to SIM swap it sometimes, and even used it exclusively for a good part of the year while my 6s plus collected dust-- was fun when i had 6s plus and SE both jailbroken and was still using SE 90% of the time, to hop from one to the other with the exact same tweak configuration/home screen app layout, apps, etc. lol trippy to upsize or downsize as desired with imessages not always being synced as the only thing different between my devices, and only sometimes at that

Paid $499 for mine in the summer (original price still reasonable for apple), 64gb now being $450 makes it an instant sleeper hit, most people aren't even aware it exists I feel like.

steve would be proud

battery life is RIDICULOUS too, keeps up with iPhablet and may even do better than my 6s plus

i dont think ill ever trade this one up, will serve as a backup absolute worst case scenario

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why shouldn't you still love it? Why is it something out of the ordinary when someone is still happy with a product they spent hundreds of dollars on half a year later?

I still love my iPhone 6.

Of course there are people who are less satisfied, especially on an enthusiasts site like this. There are people here who would buy a new iPhone every month if Apple released one, and there's also people who will use their phone until it dies in their hand. Most people are somewhere in between.

It's not out of the ordinary when someone
Continues to be content with a device they purchased. That being said, some prefer to have the most current device upon release for various reasons, (I.e., Storage upgrade, new features relevant to the user, expendable income, ect). I previously owned the 6/6s Plus/SE and now the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. All great iPhones, but I am one who appreciates the latest technology with advantages suiting my lifestyle and livelihood.

Like you indicated, some will use their device for years and there are those like myself, who will upgrade again and again. Everyone has different needs and reasons.

I believe it was you who stated in a post last week, you didn't find the iPhone 7 wasn't worth upgrading from your iPhone 6, which is fine (Aside from the reported touch disease), and others have found it a substantial upgrade, myself included.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
I retired my SE yesterday for a jet black 7. Love both to be honest. The SE is the perfect one handed phone. I will still use it now and then when I feel like it. It's in my drawer now back in it's box, but I know that I can always count on it when I need a spare phone.

The jetblack's design is just stunning. One seamless block of black. Pity about the protruding camera at the back though. That's where the SE comes in.

If Apple ever makes a Jet Black SE, I would buy that in an instant!

Reactions: vdor

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
SE was my whole reason for moving to Apple. Wanted a modern small phone and it certainly hasn't disappointed me. Got the iPad Pro and Watch just to complete the set.

I have noticed that it gets quite hot during an actual update but once finished it returns to normal so I can't be bothered to do anything about it.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
I am looking to upgrade from a 5C but cannot decide on SE or 6S. I would rather spend less and get the SE 64g for twice the storage too.

Can anyone give me a good reason apart from screen size why the 6S would be better than the SE in terms of what it adds? I believe force touch but is it really that useful? Does the keyboard have extra keys to help typing?

Many thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.