I stink. Here's why.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    So I'm taking a nap upstairs, and wake up to this bad smell. I get up and open the bedroom door...and not only is the smell worse in the hallway, but there's smoke.

Downstairs, the smoke is thick. Not so much that I can't breathe or see, but enough that it's so hazy I have to leave the front door hanging open in 30º weather.

I check my first thought, the kitchen, and sure enough, through the haze I can see one of the tally lights for the stove's burners is on, and there's white smoke billowing from the pot on that burner. I look take the lid off and the smoke is so thick I have to go outside to keep breathing.

When I come back I can see that inside the pot is a black, charred, congealed mess. I take the pot outside, have to stop and catch my breath again, and then get back inside and throw open every door and window I could find.

What had happened was my wife had gone to her sister's house, and she'd left beef browning on the stove. She thought she turned it off. :rolleyes:

So now the house stinks. We went to Home Despot and got some Zep smoke odor "eliminator" and a huge bottle of Pine-Sol.

The funny part was that when we were driving to Home Despot, I noticed that the stink was "following" us. Since I had been home, I got permeated with that burnt-dead-flesh smell. When we got to the store the guy who helped us was trying to suppress a chuckle at my malodorous condition. But the really funny part was when we passed another couple who were shopping, and I overheard the wife say to the husband, "Yeah, it really stinks in here! It's terrible!" I felt like such a social outcast. Then the girl at the checkout counter looked at me strangely because I insisted on standing six feet away from her while she rang up our order. :p

Anyway, we've sprayed the air and washed down ceilings, walls and floors, and I'm sure we'll be doing it tomorrow too. I've also got to get some heavy-duty fabric cleaner so we can clean the carpets and upholstry.

And yes, I've had a good, long shower. :D
  2. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    We had something like that happen with pork chops.

Hang in there! The smell should be gone within a few days. :D
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I tried to heat up some bread in the oven once, pity there was some tray still in there that shouldn't have been there... Anywho, the kitchen reeked of this horrible wooden burning smell for days! Windows open, made no difference. The smell was so pungent. obviously it went away after a bit :)
  4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Whew! Seems the only thing that might smell worse is company that stays longer than three days. Come Sunday, you should let others occupy the pew.
  5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005

We had something like that happen, but with popcorn. Cooked for like 10 minutes in a high powered microwave.

My brother... :rolleyes:
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
  7. CoMpX macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    Something kinda like this happened to me a few years ago. My bedroom is in the finished basement, and it had only been finished for about a week at the time. The outdated house water filter exploded and dumped a foot of water into a our brand new basement. The sump pump failed because it was right under that water, and the motor shorted out. I woke up at 3:00 the in the morning, and I smelled burning plastic and my old Dell was sparking like crazy. I mean like sparks flying out of the back onto the wall. haha....Dell...wow. But anyway I stepped out of my bed into this cold water and I freaked out.

Long story short, the whole house smelt like burnt plastic and musty drywall for days. Now its all redone again...oyy what a mess that was.
  8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Yea man, you are stinking up the place.

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005

And until then ...

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Ew. That's even worse. At least I don't have to replace the drywall.

I think. :eek:
  11. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    A couple of years ago my brother was making microwave popcorn but instead of putting it in for 2.5 mins, he put it in for 25 mins! He left the kitchen and forgot about it. I went to get a drink about 15 mins later and the kitchen was getting smokey. Needless to say everything reeked of burnt butter/popcorn for the next week.

Also, last week my mum had put a pot of water on to boil to cook something it. She forgot about it, charred the pot, stank the house out :rolleyes:
  12. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Thomas, do you have something against Home Depot or was that a (multiple) typo?

Just curious.

I am glad nothing worse than a bad odor ensued from your little adventure.

I'm cooking dinner right now, and this will make me extra vigilant...

***EDIT*** godamnit, I got sidetracked and burned my dinner...so much for the above line...
  13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia

Evidently you never have been to the worst areas (like the DC area) for Home Depot. I will travel out of my way to a Lowes instead. Some of us still want customer service. Not a bunch of mumbling. lack of product education, bunch of people that don't care about their jobs that some Home Depots have, at least in my area.

Back to the OP. I had a similar experience with a sleep walking instance in which my burner was turned on with an empty pan with a wooden spoon in the pan. It was the smoke alarm that woke me up. I had that smell following me for days....
  14. dodonutter macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    Deep South UK
    A few years ago my sister had some friends sleeping round and they decided to sleep in a downstairs room instead of upstairs in her bedroom, same place all the other bedrooms are. In the room was a bedside lamp sort of thing with one of those upside down conical lampshades with the ~3in holes in the top on it.

Anyway my sister in her infinite wisdom (she is doing physics A-Level) decided that they wanted some light in the room but the lamp as it was was too bright so she covered the hole in the top with the nearest object....a hardback (ie plastic covering) book and then went to sleep. Only problem with this being that the hole has a purpose, namely to let the excessive amounts of heat produced by the bulb go somewhere.

My dad was the one who woke up after he smelt the melting/burning mass and he was at the other end of the house on another floor! My sister and her friends who were in the room didn't get woken up by it even though they were about a meter away from it. I woke up the next morning and the entire house reeked of burnt plastic. Needless to say my sister wasn't very popular and the book and lampshade were never the same again!

Was pretty close though cos it wouldn't have taken much more time for the entire thing to go up in flames by the look of things.
  15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Perhaps I'm jumping on a bandwagon before I know what I'm talking about, but I've heard unfavorable stories about them, similar to the kind of stuff you hear about Wal*Mart.

dodonutter, I've seen so many people do that (covering lamp openings), and it's always struck me as such a dumb thing to do. I'm sure you've heard that a lot of very smart people lack common sense...though in the case of your sister, if the area she's smart in is physics, you would think......... :rolleyes:
  16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    The rule of themb here is: Go to Home Depot to LEARN how to do things (the people there are SMART), then go to Menards to buy it (The people there are idiots comprised mostly of high school students who couldn't possibly care any less about helping you anyway)
  17. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    A while ago, my boyfriend worked 2nd shift, and I worked 3rd at the same factory. He hung out after his shift and drank a few with my 3rd shift foreman. He left at 3 am, crowing about how he was going to steam up a lobster when he got home. We lived on the 3rd floor at the time, and when I came home I could smell this horrible odor from the bottom step. The closer I got to our door the worse it got. Sure enough, when I got in I found the steamer with a very charred lobster stuck to the bottom. The stench lingered for months despite all my efforts. He will never live that down.
  18. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    *smells computer screen*

What are you talking about? you smell fine. :confused:

19. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Oh wow you do smell bad I can smell it from here:p

Well at least it will be gone in a few days, or maybe you will just be use to it by them;)
  20. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002

Seems like someone does that once a month in my dorm...worst. smell. ever.
  21. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005

One time at my old middle school, our whole entire school evacuated because my history teacher put popcorn in the microwave, and like the post said before, put it in for 15 minutes instead of 50 minutes, the fire alarm went off.

Very, very fun. :D
  22. lanray macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2005
    Just a Thought

Ooops. Too many tabs open, wrong thread.

Well, while I'm here: sometimes it's fun to stink. I say go to a place with an elevator and ride that thing, up and down, and just love the fact that you smell rank. Take your wife with you and just have a conversation amongst yourselves. The looks on people's faces will be worth a long laugh when you get home.