I stopped waiting...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkF786, Oct 6, 2006.

1. MarkF786 macrumors member

I gave up waiting for the announcement of the new MBs. I figured it could still be weeks or months for an announcement, and then it might only be upgrades for the MBPs. As each week goes by, I thought, "I'll wait one more week"... that could go on forever! And even when they are announced it could take a while longer for Apple to begin shipping them - plus, I'd likely have to buy through Apple and pay retail, tax, & shipping.

I bought a black MBP through Amazon which has a $100 rebate, no taxes, and next day shipping for $5. I also ordered 2GB of RAM to install, but that won't arrive until next week. I'll probably upgrade the HD in the future (heck, my iPod is 60GB). I bought the black model since my wife has a white MB; but it is a stiff premium to easily tell the two apart ;-)

If the only difference in the new model is the the bump to Merom, I won't be bothered but I'll probably be a bit peeved if there are other changes, like the addition of a dedicated GPU. Chances are only the processor will be upgraded.

In the next few hours my new MB should be in my hands :)

Mark

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Merom MacBooks were released today with dedicated GPU. :eek:

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

That's brutal:D It's like screaming "fire" in the crowded movie theatre.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Funny though! :D

5. djkny macrumors 6502

Your springing for a Macbook is the equivalent of checking into rehab. You're being pro-active about addressing your procrastination and anxiety; the rest of us will bill Apple medical for our obsessive-compulsive disorders ...

6. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Good for you. Nice to see someone pulling the trigger. Don't look back... it ain't worth your time.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Seems like as soon as you buy one, another ones comes out

8. steelfist macrumors 6502a

unfortuantly for OP, i hope that's true!

9. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I doubt MacBook's will be upgraded to C2D this year. I would suspect macworld at the earliest. The MacBook Pro's on the other hand, could be upgraded any day now, and I'm a little surprised the haven't already been.

10. maycontainnutz macrumors member

maycontainnutz

Core Duo is still good, i stopped waiting because i need a MBP for work and i figured in 2-3 yrs i'll get a new one... Core Duo will last me that long anyhow

11. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

If that happens someone with a name realting to work will die :X

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

On a Macbook you wouldn't be able to tell between a core duo and core 2 duo anyways.

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Not true. You'd be able to tell just as much with a Macbook as with a Macbook Pro, since both are GPU limited.

14. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Makes no sense. If it is GPU limited, and the GPU is running 100%, how are you going to notice the differnece between a cd at 80% or a C2D at 65%???

If the bottle neck was the CPU, you would notice the diff... if the bottleneck is somewhere else, THAT BOTTLENERCK is what you notice.

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You don't understand. Because they're both GPU limited, they will both get gains primarily related to the processor alone, not because the GPU performance is scaling better due to the new processor. They'll both benefit equally. What I'm saying is that the GPU won't be affected (much), and since that's the only real difference between the two, they'll both benefit equally.

16. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

17. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

The GPU won't be updated, that's not going to happen before Santa Rosa next year. That's a simple fact.

18. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

i'm so sorry you couldn't wait. you'll probably wish you did.

19. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Agreed:D

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Santa Rosa is where its @, to be honest the 667 FSB will choke the merom chip compared to the 800MHz in santa rosa. Same can be argued for the upcoming Quad Core chips, 1333Mhz FSB will also choke them as would 667MHz RAM speeds. About 1800Mhz FSB and about 900 MHz DDR2 (if they exists) not FB- DIMMS RAM and then you're really talking.

No need to lament at all. Enjoy

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good for you.

There will always be something newer and better coming out soon. Why wait when you can be happy now. Enjoy your new laptop. :)

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

wise man, keep waiting until death is not a good attitude, live today with a goal about future is healthy, those still living in anxiety should go see doctors, :D

23. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

With Santa Rosa, is it plausible to see more powerful integrated GPU by Intel? My guess is the future updates for MB would stay with Intel's integrated GPU.

24. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

That has got to be the cheapest MBP ever!! ;)

Congrats though - I'm pretty sure you'll be regretfull when Merom do arrive but to be honest I wouldn't wait either if I wanted it now... :)