I Switched!!! Any Software Deals?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by feelingdoing, Jul 27, 2005.

1. feelingdoing macrumors newbie

Hello, group. I am new to the forum.
    I love my new 15" Powerbook, but now I am missing some costly software. Has anyone ever been able to cut a deal with Adobe? I have CS1 running on my PC. Will they let me buy MAC CS2 for upgrade price?
    Thanks, feelingdoing. :)

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

never heard of anything like this from any of my photog friends... i highly doubt it...

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Can't hurt to call Adobe and give it a try can it?

4. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

highly unlikely... everyone else has to buy new software, i doubt they'll make an exception for you... no offense... but good luck anyway

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think adobe might be one of the companies that does let you do this. I think you would have to trade your CS disks into Adobe first and get the mac versions (i think this is free or very cheap) and then buy the upgrade to CS2.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

They should send you CS1, for about $10-$15. When I switched to Mac, I called them, and I told them I needed to do a platform exchange. They looked up my retail Windows copy on their computers, saw that it was legit, and told me they would do it. I'd only have to pay the shipping. I signed I form saying I would no longer use and would destroy the Windows copy, so I did that. It was rather fun destroying it. I say bye bye to Windows (at least when it comes to graphics work), so I didn't need it. I faxed the form back to them, and they sent it. Brand new sealed box. Great!

7. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I wouldn't have destroyed it. I would have kept it anyhow! lol. It's not like anyone wouldhave any way of knowing what you did or didn't do :p

8. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Now that wouldn't be too honest would it?????

9. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

No, it wouldn't, but charging hundreds of dollars for design software isn't exactly what I'd call fair business practice either.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Except isn't CS1 for PC's one of those activated apps that only work for so long if they don't hear back from mission control?

Adobe do swap licenses (good for them!) and although getting an upgrade might be a two-step process, changing license and then upgrading, it should be possible. However, if you call them, you can check out whether they can do it all in one go.

Muckyfingers - it's attitudes like that that make the honour system fail miserably and create more and more restrictions to force users into doing things.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

And that justifies stealing...??? That's just too stupid... :rolleyes:

12. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I don't feel anyone should have to pay for grossly overpriced software like CS2 and that if I actually used software and it were priced more fairly, hell, I would go and buy it without much hesitation in terms of price and whatnot. Adobe is making a killing off charging people exorbant prices for their design software.

13. feelingdoing thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks to all. I will give them a call right now. Feelingdoin

14. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Only your conscious.

And your comment on charging hundreds for their software.. in my opinion it is very much worth it! The amount of development which goes into their software is huge.

15. feelingdoing thread starter macrumors newbie

Hooray!

Just got off the phone with Adobe, and they are shipping me Upgrade CS2 for the price of the upgrade. What a group, thanks, feelingdoing!!!!

16. Hattig macrumors 65816

Glad to hear that it all went well. It's nice when common sense wins :)

17. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

If you dont like it, dont buy it, but dont steal it either.

As a software developer, I can tell you that these companies spend millions in research and development of their products. Why shouldnt they make money for their efforts? Do you like getting paid for your work (assuming you work that is).

18. benwa02 macrumors 6502

How is it not fair business practice? Their not doing anything wrong. So you want CS2 but you cant afford it, thats life, get over it. I want a lamborgini but you dont see me getting pissed at Lambo because their prices are way out of my budget.

If Lambos were priced more fairly, hell, I would go buy one without much hesitation.

Your comment makes Zero sense. People make their livings off of this Professional software. For Adobe to charge $1000 for the Entire CS2 suite so you can make a living and have a job is completely fair. CS2 is a GREAT investment if you do this for a living.

What about people buying Expensive construction equipment (excavators, loaders, dozers etc..) that costs thousands to hundreds of thousands to make their living? It must be worth it.

19. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Call Adobe, let us know what happens.

EDIT: woops, didn't read the whole thread. happy for you.