I switched my brother

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazycat, Mar 18, 2006.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

My brother is a very active person, he goes hunting, diving and almost anything that does with the outdoors. He taks tons of video and pictuers and uses windows movie maker to make his movies. So i invited him and asked him to get his camera with him. I imported all his photos to my iMac, he then started to make a movie all on this own. It was very simple for him, althou i did a very bad job at showing what a mac can do. I was all over the place showing his, that in switching to something else in the middle of showing off something. He did a movie project in less then 30 mins which will take him 4-5 hours normaly and it looked 20 times better then anything he made.

Two hours later:

I went to his place to setup his new iMac and bought a macbook pro from ebay. :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're awesome. I think that's probably the nicest thing a sibling can do. :cool:

3. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

Why do you feel good when you switch someone?

I switched two people to the mac platform, i feel good about it. I convinced a few to buy the same digital camera i have, the same cd's i listen to, 10 people to play World of warcrafgt but why do i feel better for switching them to the mac much more?

I read many "I just switch my *insert here*" threads, but untill i did it i could not understand it. Why do you feel so proud to switch someone,why do you feel the need to sare it, and why are you pround of it?

4. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I've switched my brother, sister, mother, uncle, aunt, and 3 of my closest friends.

One of those friends just switched his neighbor, too. :D

5. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Its an enigma, I recently switched someone and it was the best feeling. I don't know why.

6. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

It's less a feeling of "good"...

It's more of a feeling of relief for me.

I've gotten a few people to switch -- mostly those who would always ask me to come over and help them figure out their PCs were [insert eye-roller computer problems here].

It's like when you convince that friend of yours to take a break from that string of egotistical pretty boys and go out with a nice pal of yours just one time, and they hit it off. "Thank Heavens!," you think -- this totally frees up my Sunday afternoons from the why-didn't-he-call cry/talk. At least for a while.

;)

7. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

There are at least a couple of reasons I can think of:
    First of all, when someone agrees with a decision you have made, it gives validation to your decision process.
    As people, we like to have others say that our choices were good ones.

Secondly, we are inherently attracted to those things that are we find similar.
    By successfully getting people to own the same products we do, they now are more similar to us.
    I remember reading something in social psychology about this theory, but I can't remember the exact eloquent name of it.

Just a couple of my thoughts - I'm intrigued to hear what others have to say.

8. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Nice.

So far i've switched my mom. My dad is buying a new laptop soon and is considering a MacBook Pro but I have a feeling he will get an HP or Dell becuase that what everybody else has and he is worried about compatibility. (Which I tell him that you don't need to worry about) and he also might do some work for Microsoft so who knows. And my brother,he says that he wants a Mac for the style, but he says OS X looks unprofessional! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope I have the luck that you do.

9. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Oh... I always thought it was a hole in the RDF being patched up.

10. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i have tried switching people, and my family/many of my friends are a hard sell. however, i have converted 2 people since coming to university, to the iPod anyway. :D

S

11. Melkor macrumors 6502

Good stuff :)

I'm this close to convincing my friend to buying an ibook.

12. iShane macrumors 6502a

I've switched three people, my dad, my uncle, and my old babysitter.

13. mrwildguitar macrumors regular

mrwildguitar

My brother switched me. Thankful for it everyday.

14. todd2000 macrumors 68000

My friend switched me, I have to say I can't stand my Windows computer anymore. I still have it for the very occasional thing I can't do with the mac, but mostly for some stupid games I like to play. I have had my G4 for about 1.5 years, and can only remember 3 or 4 instances where the computer locked up, and I had to physically turn it off, as opposed to 3 or 4 times a day with windows, 2 of which were kernel panics cause Jaguar didn't seem to like the NTFS firewire drive I plugged in. Sorry if it's a little off topic from this thread, but I thought I would use it to say how happy I am that I switched

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have almost switched my research supervisor, but since I told him to wait until MWSF in Jan 06 because they might release a new Intel iBook, he has waited, and waited.

And waited.

Then he waited some more.

Now he gets frustrated with me whenever he sees my PB, which is everyday. He doesn't even have a computer now. Meh. I told him to just wait until April 1st, but after that, I'm just gonna tell him to buy whatever the hell he wants. Thanks Apple. Nice "never happened" switcher story. :rolleyes:

16. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

I switched my sister, the one ive got now is so much nicer :D

I'm about to switch five people from work, we run that UK Government Scheme that lets us buy computer through work tax free, and this year the company has included two Apple Machines. The 17" Intel iMac, and the 12" Powerbook G4 (im a little dissapointed with that).

Ive got to take my iMac in work to give them a little demo, ,just a shame ive not got iSight, photobooth, or Frontrow.

anyone in the UK who thinks that their company may be interested have a look at https://chooser.futuremedia.co.uk/rm/ which is specific to my works,, or http://www.futuremedia.co.uk/ which is there main website.

17. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

heh i didn't give my brother the option i just gave him my 1Ghz powerbook and said "here your just using this cause i wont help you if you get anything else"

18. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

6 months of using my g5 and my roomie still bought a dell..go figure

19. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

When I got my mac mini, everyone told me to stop bragging about the oh-so-stable OS. Well, my father saw it and said he had to get one. So he did. My brother saw it and said he needed one. A laptop. So he will. On April 1st. :cool: :cool: :cool:

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my sister and her fiancee are both using macs now. she has a mini, he has an ibook. i've convinced a few others to switch as well.
    for me its because i don't and can't help them with their problems with Windows. and they are the type of casual users who will love and benefit from using OS X. so there they go. and they are all happy with the decision too.