I think I broke my keyboard, thoughts on different replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RiggedProductio, Jun 3, 2006.

1. RiggedProductio macrumors newbie

May 3, 2005
    Hey guys,

So, I have a G5 and as you know those keyboards really build up a lot of grime in between the keys, etc.

Anyways, I took the keys off the keyboard, soaked them in detergent and cleaned underneith with...wait for it...one of those heavy duty kitchen cleaner-type sprays.

When I reassembled, of course my keyboard stopped working. (I'm guessing I should have stuck to water to clean it or something?)

I took it all apart again, but this time unscrewed the back to expose the electronics inside and I'm leaving it out to dry up with a fan next to it for the day. Hopefully it'll come back to life, but I doubt it.

It does look like I'll have to buy another keyboard. Which sucks. Does everyone reccomend I get another mac keyboard or does another brand make a really nice one that actually bests the apple one? I read something about a Kensington? I also thought about getting a final cut pro keyboard, but I don't want to spend more than the cost of a standard apple keyboard. Does anyone know what the in-store student discount at the mac store is on this stuff? When I bought my macbook, it was actually a bigger discount in store, than it was online.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Das Keyboard

100 blank keys. :cool:

Nah... maybe not... ;)

I would just get another Apple Keyboard. I've not tried too many different keyboards, but the standard Apple one is actually one of the best ones I've ever laid my fingers on... :)
  3. mac4drew macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2003
    I'm actually very happy with my Macally iKey. It's lasted me forever and has absolutely no problems after almost 4 years of heavy use. Was pretty inexpensive, too.

As far as the "best" keyboard" though, I'd have to agree that it's probably the Apple one... although as far as always looking clean and being extensively durable I would say the iKey might beat them in that respect.

As far as cleaning your new one, maybe stick to canned air from now on. :)
  4. lexus macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
  5. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I really like Apple's keyboard-- I guess I haven't used any other keyboards w/ USB ports on them, it's handy.

And OP, I just cleaned my keyboard in a similar fashion, but I let mine dry w/ the keys right-side up on paper towels for two days, and let the completed keyboard w/ keys all on dry for another two days (in hot 75-80 degree CA weather) before attempting to plug it back in. My advice to you in the future would be to stay patient and really let those buggers dry. :p
  6. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I have a Kensington with two USB outs. It's nice; I like the angle of the keys and the action on them, Apple keyboards were too big for that laptop feel but too small for comfort, IMO.

By the way, the Kensington was also the second cheapest USB keyboard at CompUSA when I bought it. ;)
  7. macgeek77 macrumors regular

May 24, 2006
    Look: a keyboard is a keyboard. No matter what you do, the same job gets done. If you are into saving money, get the cheapest keyboard made for mac out there. If you are into appearence or something with tools on it, go searchin'.
  8. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I totally disagree with you; I spend anywhere from 8-16 hours using a keyboard daily. If it's a crappy keyboard, it makes my life that much more difficult, which over the course of a day can drive me batty. So for me, a keyboard ISN'T just a keyboard, though for the casual user I can definitely see the argument for that...
  9. zagato27 macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    The Hill
    I've got a G5 and ditched the Apple keyboard for a Macally icekey. They keyboard is very similiar to a laptops...pretty flat keys. It's white so it's "Appleish". The think I absolutely love is the key action, very responsive. It's the scissor keys that make it that way. Very cool. Check it out