I think I broke my son g3 imac, please help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dan-o-mac, Dec 29, 2004.

1. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I tried to reinstall os 9 on his computer 266 g3 iMac, and somehow manage to delete his drive. Now the computer will only start up from the install cd(won't let me eject the cd), when I click reinstall I get a message saying the the firmware needs upgrading. I can't eject the cd, so how can i transfer the firmware upgrade from my flat panel imac to the old imac? One other thing, I tried looking on apple's website and couldn't find the firmware upgrade. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

OK the firmware is in the extras folder on thew cd....

4. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

probably cheaper to by a new one don't you think?

5. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I've looked in cd extras folder couldn't find it. could you make a path for me?

cd extras/?/?/

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

this link shoud take you to a page at apple's support site where you should be able to find a link to what you need

iMac updates

7. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

thanks for the link and all the help. I have the firmware upgrade, now what would be the best way to transfer the file since i cant use the cd drive on the old imac?

8. badapple521 macrumors newbie

Cut the power

Pull the plug to force the restart. Press the button on the CD tray while the machine is restarting. The disk should pop out. If it doesn't restart you will have to use the system install disk that shipped with the computer. System 8.6 I think. Then do the firmware upgrade and then the OS 9 update.

9. California macrumors 68040

California

Just insert a safety pin in the emergency eject hole on the front of the cd tray.

Good luck -- I'm trying to do the same thing with a 266 mhz imac and it's going back o the shop.

10. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

11. dan-o-mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Don't take it back, I just used Badapple's tip(press the cd tray button and held the mouse button down while restarting, the cd ejected) i'm installing 8.6 right now! Thank you everybody! Your the man badapple!