I think I just burst an artery

Discussion in 'Games' started by xJulianx, Feb 7, 2007.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I'm playing F.E.A.R on my 360 and it's scaring the hell out of me, to the extent that I will only play it with all the lights on, my door open, and other people in the house...I'm 17 :eek:

But, I don't think I can continue to play this game, this is the last straw. For those of you that have played F.E.A.R, I just got to the bit where you go to climb down a fairly high ladder, and when you turn around to slide down, Alma is standing there. This scared the living **** out of me, but I thought I would cope. Then once I reached the ground after sliding down the ladder, I turned to my left to walk down the walkway, and some ghost soldier is standing there.

Nope, I'm taking this game back, think I'll get Sonic or something ;)

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I didnt find F.E.A.R scary at all to be honest.

Condemned by the same developers Monolith is a better game and much scarier.

3. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I have never liked horror games, though i have never played one, they just dont appeal to me.

4. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Yeah see I'm particularly weak when it comes to creepy and eary(sp?) games, like in F.E.A.R, when you will suddenly see Alma, or like at the start of the game when you see a shadow walk across a doorway. Makes my spine shiver.

I'm fine with in your face blood and guts shoot-em-ups though.

Come to think of it, this is the same with films for me, The Ring creeped me out, yet Saw was enjoyable.

5. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

The only horror game I played was Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and that was on the Gamecube and I enjoyed it.

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Ah... horror games... how I love the... let me count the ways... :D

To the point where I'm not gonna bother with a Wii until Sadness comes out, at which point I'll be waiting for Gamestation to open so I can be the first to get it :p

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

If you want real horror then play System Shock. It's also one of the best games to date. [​IMG]

<]=)

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OMG that game is really scary. It puts Doom 3 to shame.

Lets hope BioShock lives up to the scares.

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

LOL! That's exactly where I stopped playing the first time. I think the game is a lot scarier if you start playing not expecting it to be as scary.

I replayed the beginning of the game not long ago and that very same part didn't scare me in the least, I knew it was coming and was far less immersed in the experience.

Maybe MRU's ability to not find it scary is that he wasn't in the right mood to really be immersed in it. If I was to compare how I reacted to the Condemned demo versus the FEAR demo, I'd say FEAR was the scariest on the first run through.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats a great moment getting off the ladder, theres a few more moments in the game, be a man and finish the game! :D

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

BioShock, just one of two reasons I will buy a 360. :)

<]=)

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Ah, indeed. I nearly **** myself during that bit. Good stuff. Very psychological.

13. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i found Condemned was scarier than F.E.A.R. purely because in F.E.A.R. your a soldier with kickass weapons, but in Condemned you have... a wrench.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No I just felt the scare moments to be predictable. There was aslo plenty of onscreen and audio clues (like slowing of time and sound) whenever somthing supernatural was going to happen.

If he finds that scary, then he's going to squeeze a bit of mr hanky when the ending is rolling ;)

15. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I'm not a man, I'm a mouse, my girlfriend watched me play the game earlier and she said so :eek:

Now there is no chance of me playing the game through, I'm taking it back today, has anyone got any reccomendations for a decent first person shooter that doesn't have the 'chill' or 'psychological' factors that F.E.A.R has?

I was thinking Rainbow Six: Vegas, or possibly FarCry?

16. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Hahaha, good stuff :D That makes me want to go get the game now. Be glad it had an impact on you, most games are yawnsville these days for me.

If you want a shoot'em'up thats quick to get into and wont cause you to soil your shorts, try Call of Duty 3

17. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Yeah, even though I don't truly enjoy these kind of games, the very fact F.E.A.R had such an effect on me makes it a fantastic game in my eyes, and thats without even talking about the amazing gameplay and AI.

I might think about COD 3, although I have COD 2 on my MacBook. I'll see what Gamestation have going for me when I get there :)

Quick question though, years ago, I bought FarCry for my PC, but due to the PC burning down (the motherboard fused and caught light) I was never able to finish the game. Is the 360 version, 'instincts' different to the PC version and how would you rate it in general?

Thanks.

18. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

I personally found the 360 version of FarCry not nearly as good as the PC version.

+1 for Condemned by the way. Most underplayed great game on the 360.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's a truly excellent FPS - but it's just as damn scary as F.E.A.R - so chances of you liking it xJulianx are slim.

What I would recommend are

Rainbow 6 : Vegas
    Call of Duty 3
    Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter (will be available for $20 soon I hear)

and of course Gears of War

You could wait till Crackdown for the 360 comes out on the 20th Feburary, not really a FPS but it does come with the multiplayer Halo 3 beta

20. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Looks like I'm going to be knows as the gaming baby around here :p

I've liked the look of Rainbow 6 : Vegas for a while now and have loved the way it's looking, I've heardgood things in reviews aswell, havent really looked up anything on Ghost Recon, I might give that a try aswell.

Thanks.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

F.E.A.R...scary..HA! This game was far from it to me. You want scary...check Silent Hill 3 for the PS2...I'm not saying this because I love the game but it made me jump at times and look in the closet.

Condemned was cool but I kinda got tired swinging at those freaks but the level design was spooky.

Bless

22. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Original Silent Hill - refused to play it except at night with the lights out. Plus, it was winter at the time...snow/abandoned town on TV, snow/closed college out the window...creepy, and very atmospheric.

RE4 was more over the top, but had some good "scare" moments, and got much creepier on the island.

23. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Haha, that's funny. Alan Wake is going to be gooooood...

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Play the original Resi games (0-3 + CV) - much creepier and more tense :D 4 was a departure from the original stylings (faster paced, more action, less scare, although much appreciated in its own way - 5 is supposed to be a combination of the 2 :D w00t!)

25. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I've never squirmed or felt as much panic as I did when I played Resident Evil 4. Cojelo Cojelo Cojelo........UN FORESTERO!!!!!