I think I just got screwed by an eBay seller.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, May 31, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This past weekend, my cell phone crapped out, so I ordered a SE w810i from eBay. The guy had good feedback. Since I needed my phone ASAP, I chose overnight shipping for $20 bucks more. It said item location was in California, so I thought overnight would be no problem and doable. It shipped out Tuesday via FedEx, and I got a tracking number. On the tracking page, it said estimated delivery date of Wed by 10:30 AM, but all day, it said "package data received by FedEx" and still said that when I went to bed on Tuesday. I didn't worry, since I know FedEx's tracking system isn't accurate. But today I wake up and check tracking, to hopefully see "out for delivery." But what do I see? The item shipped from Hong Kong, not California, with an estimated delivery date of Friday. Now, I'm really pissed off, obviously. I e-mailed the seller demanding a refund for shipping since I did not get what was promised, but have yet to hear back. If this guy doesn't at least refund something, do I have any options through eBay to get my money for shipping back? He didn't accept PayPal, so I had to use that stupid Andale checkout thing, otherwise, I'd go through PayPal since they love taking money back from sellers.

Would it also be worth it to report him to eBay? His auctions (all for cell phones) are very misleading. They all say item location is CA, and offer overnight, but they all ship from HK and I don't think FedEx even offers overnight service from HK to the US.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

if it does not say shipping from HK in the ebay ad then you have every right to complain.

looks like your buying a grey import , but as long as you get your phone and not a brick :rolleyes:

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Are grey imports really that bad, or risky? I've seen things that come from HK, but the seller has a like 3000 ratings......all positive, or like 99.7% positive. That's low risk, no? :confused:

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Id take the phone and then ask for money back.

I mean, he is selling you a GREY market which basically boils down to NO warranty on any item.

Which gives you a good price, but without a warranty, what are you paying for? A possibly broken item with no way to get it fixed for free.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

true - if advertised as grey imports then you would pay less for the grey import

warranty ? on ebay ? :D

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I think the concerns about shipping are very valid, but I would assume that electronics are grey at best on eBay unless otherwise specified. The problem is much less grey market stuff than counterfeits or fakes....

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I dont think I have much of a choice though, its pretty much impossible to purchase unlocked phones in the US.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, almost every unlocked phone sold in the US is grey or black market by definition....

Do tell us how things turn out with the seller... I hope your phone comes in nice shape and not too long from now! :)

9. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I just got off the phone with the seller, and am getting a refund for the difference between standard and overnight shipping. Right now, the phone is sitting in Lantau Island, Hong Kong. Someone please tell me there's a giant FedEx hub/airport there, and my phone is just waiting to get on a flight to the US.

10. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Can't say about the hub/airport, but at least he's working with you on getting a refund. That's one point in his favor even if the rest of it sucked. :rolleyes:

11. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

They're difficult to buy here too - but you can't walk down Tottenham Court Road (the main electrical "district" in London) without tripping over A-boards offering to unlock your phone. Costs about £8. Can't you do the same in the States?
    Also, in Spain you have the choice to buy any electronics free of IVA (sales tax) that means you get no warranty (but do get a cheaper product). At least that's according to my sister.
    I know that's not really OT but thought you might like to know :D
    Hope it works out.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No one appears to be doing much to limit the availability of do-it-yourself websites, but I've never seen much in the way of advertisements for someone performing the service for you, no. But then, too, the problem is that many phones in the US are not particularly interoperable anyway -- like if you unlock a GSM phone, sure, you can go between T-Mo and Cingular, but that phone still won't work with Sprint or Verizon...

13. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Haven't seen those unlocking services here in the US. I'm sure they exist, but they may not be legit enough to openly advertise.

14. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

The problem isn't unlocking it, the problem is getting the phone in the first place. No carriers in the US sell the w810i yet.

15. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Ah I see.
    Didn't that raise one of your eyebrows when the sellers location said California? I know it's not impossible but.......

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Nope. Sorry. But there IS a giant Buddha!!

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

verizon and sprint are cdma. yeah, if only cdma and gsm were compatible...:p :p

18. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I figured he imported them and had a warehouse here....

19. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Now the package is:

Jun 1, 2006 1:50 PM Int'l shipment release ANCHORAGE, AK

I guess that means it cleared customs? Its still scheduled to be delivered tomorrow by 10:30. Think that's possible, considering it's in Anchorage and I'm in St. Louis?

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, definitely. When my MBP arrived from China, it was in Anchorage one night and was delivered to me the next AM, by way of Indianapolis.

I'd wait for the phone to arrive and make sure it works... if it does, at the very least I'd give him negative feedback on eBay and spell out exactly why you're doing it.

21. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not going to leave negative yet. The seller is supposidley refunding me for shipping for what seems like was FedEx's fault. If I get that in a timely matter (they're mailing a check, don't know why), I'll probably leave positive.

The one time I left negative, it backfired and the prick left me a negative. I prefer not to leave negatives unless the seller truly deserves it (as said prick did...took a month to ship a package within the US). If they screw up but make the situation right, then I dont think they're deserving of a negative. Neutral or positive depending on how well they handeled it.

22. zach macrumors 65816

zach

yeah, sounds to me like this quite possibly will all turn out all right... sure, you didn't get the phone QUITE as fast as you wanted, but if the seller is really refunding you for the shipping issues, i can't see any reason to really be unhappy with this.

23. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Certainly does seem that it is allright. Good Luck to you.

But remember, if it doesnt work out, this thread may offer some handy hints.