I think I know what I'm going to get!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by julienko3, May 7, 2006.

1. julienko3 macrumors regular

May 6, 2006
    I think that the iBook G4 is what I'm going to get.

Is this a good choice? Is it speedy?

Tell me about it.

2. Policar macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2004
    Unless you're trolling for a response, I'd recommend waiting two days.
  3. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    your enthusiasm is refreshing. :)

and you're about to be taking your first step into a larger world.

that said, if i were you i would wait until tuesday before buying anything.

welcome to the boards. :cool:
  4. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    ...beat me to it.
  5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2006
    Your post is dripping with sarcasm :rolleyes:
  6. rye9 macrumors 65816

Sep 20, 2005
    New York (not NYC)
    I've got one and I LOVE it... but as others have said, wait until Tuesday when possible new "iBooks" will be released. If they are not and you want/need one badly, then just get the iBook. But with the new iBook/MacBook's coming soon possibly, just wait I'd say.

And yes, they are speedy, nice, and everything. Beautiful machines they are.

What exactly did you want to know about them though? I can't just really "tell you about them", that could take forever. :)
  7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    Like everybody else says, wait until Tuesday, or the next tuesday, or whenever it is that Apple releases the intel MacBooks that replace the iBooks. If you buy today, the iBook will be outdated in less than 30 days (nevermind they havn't been updated in months and months!)

Having said that, the G4 iBooks are great. What size do you want? Personally I think the 12" ones are nicer, but they don't have a super drive. Last friday at my school there were 3 kids all in a row by the lockers on iBooks. I wanted to take a picture and send it to Apple so they could use it in an ad or something...
  8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Since I'm a proud G4 owner (see siggy) this is what I have to say:
    When you get it, it'll be way fast, way way way fast. Depending on the kinds of apps you use you may want to upgrade your RAM. I do a lot with graphics so I upgraded from 512MB to 1GB and it purrs. 512 will do though as long as you don't use too many large applications at the same time: e.g. Photoshop, Firefox, etc. If you're looking for good inexpensive RAM I got my 512MB stick for $37.99. Hard disk space is an issue for me, of course, I'm down to 7GB out of 37.14GB (40GB).

Now I use Mail, Camino OR Safari OR Firefox for browsers, iTunes, Adium and that's about it and I'm using about 340MB of RAM with those. Everything is fast. To make a standard DVD into an image it takes about 3 hours. iTunes ripping songs is quick, probably like 25 seconds per song depending on how clean the CD is and that. I've ran DOOM 3 on this kitten and it ran at about 30FPS. Programming its good for, it packs a punch with programming applications. You have CoreAudio and CoreImage so rendering is fast for apps that use it (e.g. Dashboard). It's light, I mean like way light, I sit it on one knee and type and kick back into a chair. Lots of apps come with it and run on it. You get iLife '06, Quicken, etc. etc.

Now for my 2 Cents:
    Wait till the 9th and see what comes out, sometimes apple will throw some iBooks into their saver section so you can get them for like $800 or less sometimes. Maybe you want an Intel Solo chip instead of the G4. Just depends on your needs and what you will do with it.

--Added note, the Solos should allow for faster RAM and better video card, so if you do a lot with graphics or games or that, it may be better to wait for the solo MacBooks.
  9. idkfa macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2006

Here! Here!

I would wait. I mean, according to the hype, news on the successor to the nicest portable ever will be out within the next week. If the new Intel iBook/MacBook is any bit like its PPC "father", then it will be an awesome buy.
  10. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH

macbooks (ibook replacement) this tuesday, may 9th. No questions, no rumors, simple fact. Id put the value of my apple stock on it.
  11. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2005
    Here's to hoping :rolleyes: :p
  12. MS bulldog macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2006
    i hope you didn't bet the farm