I think I might be happy with my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pufftissue, Apr 3, 2007.

1. pufftissue macrumors regular

Sep 9, 2006
    I bought one home and immediately saw a faint band on the lefthand side and thought the backlighting was uneven.

I was a bit upset at that, enough to return it. Eventually I went through a couple of them trying to find one that didn't have it. I then went to 2 applestores and looked at 10 macbook pros. They all had the banding to varying degrees.

I did research and found out that the culprit screens were the 09c57 screens, made by AUO (AO?) electronics. To its credit, though, I found the purity of the whiteness to be better than some of the other screens.

Eventually I determined that it would be unlikely for me to be able to get one of the samsung screens, since seeing at least 10-15 macbook pros at various stores indicated that they're all the 09c57 screens.

I then had a look at other brands. the 15" widescreens that were of the regular resolution 1280 x 800 were in general pretty even. I also looked at the Sony's and saw that while they didn't have the banding, they did have uneven backlighting as "bad" as the Apples. Then I took a look at lcd tv's and apparently there is a huge problem with Sonys as well, and we're talking their top of the line xbr2's. Then I took a look at Dell's 24" monitors that I'd had for 2 years. It had uneven backlighting. I also thought back to other laptops that I had owned. An Asus had no banding, but horrible viewing angles, and there was no sweet spot. I got used to it. An IBM was no better, and I got used to that, too. I read and firmly believe that all LCDs are coming from the same places now and with the possible exception of all Japanese LCDs, one LCD won't be superior to another. It's inherent in the technology, but that's the best we've got today. This is certainly not worth going back to CRTs over for me.

So I decided that yes, the problem exists and I'm not making it up and I notice it. But I realized that I can either boycott LCD technology altogether and leave the modern world, or I can go about re-training myself to enjoy my electronics rather than micro-analyzing them and tell myself that I've lived rather happily with the Dell that bothered me a little bit at first but now does not, and then say that my macbook pro will eventually win me over.

It's been a week and there have been a few rough spots, but I think that I might be rehabilitated. I just tell myself that life is short, this is where technology is at, and I'll be one sick puppy if I keep trying to search for perfection in a fundamentally imperfect world. (This technique also works for being content with your wife).
  2. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2007
    Apple will be releasing laptops with LED screens this year, so you can test those and see if you find the same issues with them, once they come out.
  3. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    Don't tell your wife that. They like to think that you think they are perfect even if they know you know that they are not.
  4. student_trap macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    This post is fantastic, a really positive attitude. My mbp also has this band on the left, as did every mbp i saw in the regent street apple store, after realising that a replacement screen would most likely be the same, I have just got on with my screen too! Sometimes we all over scrutinize, and this post is the best rain check for such attitudes that i have seen in a long while.

Great stuff pufftissue
  5. SchMac macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2007
    Who made my display?

I just received my New MBP 2.33 w/matte display from the refurb site & the Screen looks great. How do I find who the manufacturer is of this display. I saw you mentioned a samsung & another (AOS?). Where do I get that info. Thanks for your help.
  6. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
    Preferences / Display / color / choose the active profile and open it. then choose the #13 and look in the bottom of the window, you should see the manufacturer code.
  7. SchMac macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2007
    Thanks for the Tip. I haven't a clue what these mean. Anyone know how to translate?

Manufacturer: 00000610
    Model: 00009C60
    Serial Number: 00000000
    Manufacture Date: BFF87B80
  8. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    I have a 9C56

Whatever my last LCD was, it got replaced for lots of dead pixels.
  9. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    I've heard varying stories on 9c60, 9c57, and 9c56... Some say 9c56 is the best...and some say not so much. Its pretty much a toss up whether or not you get a satisfactory screen, as well as a subjective opinion.

I have 9c60 and its okay. The graininess doesn't really bother me.
  10. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2005
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Man I am glad I do work at an Apple store just in case you come in.
  11. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm, isn't it agaisnt your NDA to post on apple related forums?