I think I picked up something strange from limewire!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by stacer, Oct 8, 2004.

1. stacer macrumors newbie

I tried limewire briefly a week or so ago but quit and went back to "poisoned" which I've been happily using for a long time and like a lot better. Since then however I've noticed an odd problem on poisoned.

It's not programmed to share right now but every time I use it it's rapidly uploading multiple files via gnutella. None of the files are mp3's, they're almost exclusively .dmg and .sit files of the same 3 or 4 applications over and over again.

Another strange thing is that these files don't appear on my computer and I can't trace them! They're familiar to me though because I did download them fairly recently but never installed them probably because something wasn't compatible. I deleted all of them at the time and never saw them again until they started flowing out of my computer on poisoned through gnutella.

This is spooky. Does anyone have an inkling what's going on?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Try looking at your sharing preferences in Poisoned and post back here what locations it is drawing from.

3. andysmith macrumors 6502

4. stacer thread starter macrumors newbie

My poisoned share preferences are all set to 0, meaning no share.

I had to overcome my discomfort and allow these folks to download so I can see exactly what they're after and where they're coming from. My first response when I discovered this was to swat 'em like flies and shut off the program.

Okay, here goes:

In the last 10 minutes or so someone at one gnutella address has uploaded scores of copies of macromedia contribute v3.0zip. I did download the software about a week ago but dumped the zip file and my find function can't locate it.

Two addresses on gnutella have uploaded two copies each of Serial Box 09.2004.1.zip.

Any thoughts?

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Maybe the files are hidden, if so, try locating them this way:

Go to the find function and click the + until you see the visibility function, choosen visible and invisible and search for those files. Of course, make sure you are searching everywhere on your hd.

6. stacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm. Here's what I found:

Macintosh HD
    private
    tmp

In 501 I saw files indicating incidents of searching for "contribute v3.0zip." Those files then disappeared, meaning that the search app and find window closed on their own. When I did a subsequent search with the visible/invisible option it turned up 0 items.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

New version of Poisioned.

I've been noticing this too. I downloaded an image file, and it was uploaded like you would not believe. I think with the newer versionof poisioned, it makes you share the folder to which you download files to. Even if you set it so that you have zero or no uploads allowed.

Rather bogus in if you ask me. So you not alone... and its not anything from limewire.

What I do now is move everything out of the DL folder into a new one after its done. That way I am not sharing anything. Rather tedious, but it helps.

8. stacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Very interesting! More searching with that visible/invisible function turned up many hidden files in my download folder that I'd dumped once upon a time. I'm not even sure all of them were ever visible to me in that folder. Anyway, I just trashed 'em all. At least I think I did .... :)

Thanks Wes and Koodauw.

Any further profound thoughts?

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I won't even touch the pirating issue here, but why does everyone disable uploading? Thats the whole point of P2P!!! If you are going to take, you should give in return :rolleyes:

10. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

People turn off sharing because that's what the lawsuits are focused on. The RIAA and now the British music authorities are only going after uploaders.

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

sometimes file you download have period in front of them, that means they are hidden to the user, and are used by the system.

cd to your downloaded, and shared folders, then type "sudo ls" that will display all files in that directory, including the ones with a period in front of them.

Frequently I'll download something that is hidden, and i'll have to manually unhide it myself.

12. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Or if you don't have the admin password to show all the files in a directory, ls -a should remove the need to enter that password.

13. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    See, theres a price to pay for "free music"... Just like BK's whopper (you have to eat it))... But I would never use LimeWire or simalr..

14. stacer thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I could share my music because I have a great collection and I'd love for other people to enjoy it but I'm nervous about the RIAA.

Also, the problem with poisoned had to do with people who were probably selling the stuff they uploaded. That makes me feel really crappy and I don't want to support it in any way.

But those guys have been shooed away for now thanks to all your great suggestions.