I think i will buy a PSP tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by joey4127, Mar 9, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

It's 11:36pm here and i will decide if i wanna buy The Sony PSP tomorrow. Looks like a great product. I have the DS but it's not as good as the PSP after playing my friends, so i sold my DS and I think i will get the PSP.
    BTW: I'm in Japan

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I pre ordered my PSP, but I am on the second shipment, I can't wait, I am in the US.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

How do you know if you're getting your PSP in the first wave or the second? I ordered one from EBGames.com on 2/27 and earlier this week they asked me to confirm what items I wanted in my PSP bundle... does that mean I'm in the first wave, or the second?

4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Not sure how the online pre-orders from EBGames are working but according to my local store, the people who pre-order one and pay it in full will get them first. This is what I might be doing next week. They still don't know how many they are getting or when a demo unit will be in the store.

Actually, I think I read somewhere that there was a cut-off date for the online pre-orders to be 1st or 2nd batch. Not sure of the date, but you could call them and ask.

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Well I got mine from GameStop, and they told me that the first order was already full, and I would be on the second shipment. That will hopefully be only about a week after the first one on march 24.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How good/bad is the Nintendo DS? I'm out of the gaming loop, but if I'm looking for a portable, I'd like to know which to choose.

And as a 24 year old, I'd like to get a Nintendo because of nostalgia and sentimentality reasons. Nintendo was like my Apple Computers when I was little. I loved Nintendo, and hated Sega. :eek:

7. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Just stick with the DS. Nintendo is one of the most experienced gaming companies, and they are announcing online details for the DS tomorrow. The PSP is overpriced, and overhyped--just like the PS2 was at launch.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If you like Nintendo trademarks then get the DS. PSP will have more sports/racing titles.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, I heard from EBGames.com today that they expect my 2/27 PSP order to be fulfilled in the initial shipment on 3/24... sweet! I ordered Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, and FIFA Soccer with the PSP.

10. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

11. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

DS

Also, with the New animal crossing game to be online(just imagine...) I think that the DS will get better games as the year progresses. The main problem with the DS was the bad launch lineup. (BTW, wario ware is very fun)

monster

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My buddy brought over his Japanese version of PSP today with two games. It was nice and I really don't like much about Sony anymore, even though I was a big fan way back when.

He said that he was having trouble with a couple of the buttons and plenty of other people have complained about them.

I still think the Nintendo DS would be a good choice but until game developers figure out how to use two displays effectively and efficiently, the PSP will do a lot adequately. The display was certainly better than adequate though.

13. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Yeah, I hate sony for the most part too, but I have to admit that sony did a very good job with the psp. I'm not a big fan of quirky gameplay really (touchscreen), I prefer more substance for my games. I sold my DS to get the psp and have not looked back. The launch games weren't very good, and now-a-days nintendo is mainly known for making ports... I'm really looking forward to how the psp will turn out. I think it'll do well once they get the pricing more affordable.

14. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Yeah, the square button is apparently too close to the LCD screen so it might cause problems for some people. I read this on several sites online (it was a while back, don't remember links, I'm sure gamespot has one).

Also, I've heard bad things about its battery life. I've never read anything from sites on this though, so I seriously doubt it.

Nevertheless, the PSP looks damn sexy! I love both Sony and Nintendo, but Nintendoy's DS is just too damn clunky looking. Also, it seems more like a novelty than a gaming system. I've always thought of Nintento as a more family-oriented company. Sony platforms have more serious titles, etc.

Of course, I'm generalizing. Just my thoughts.

15. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

I had the DS and i sold it. It wasn't that good, especially after playing the PSP. PSP has PS2 like graphics and DS has N64's and sony just launched a wave of A LOT OF GAMES, like Gran Turismo 4, Need For Speed Underground, Tony Hawks Underground...etc...I can't wait to get my hands on the PSP. I went to the sotre today but they were all sold out. :( :( :( I will try again tomorrow :cool: Hope to have the sexy beast in my room by next week.

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

congrats to all of you who're getting a PSP.:D very nice...

this thread also reminded me of an article in EDGE. it said in part - "Why you should drop your DS in a puddle". :D after reading a few replies here i can see why they said that...

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The only problem is that the current games suck. The upcoming games list has some AWESOME stuff including Age of Empires and a bunch of others.

The DS has better-than-Nintendo 64 graphics, a VERY long battery life, and almost instant loading. And costs $150.

Compare that to the PSP, with PS2 graphics (way better), but about half the battery life and longer loading times. And most of the games are PS2 ports.

The DS also has a lot of promise in the form of the touch screen control. Metroid Prime is incredible.

It's definitely not bad. If you think Graphics makes a good console, get the PSP, but otherwise seriously consider the DS.

I've seen a bunch of extremely biased articles against the DS, most of which I could counter every point on (and some didn't have a word of truth. MobilePC added $30 to the actual price tag when reporting, and hardly gave any information. Another magazine quoted "Super Princess Peach" and "Pac-Pix" as two of the most anticipated games).

18. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Age of Empires for the DS or PSP?

Anyway, from what I know, the DS has a longer battery life. Apprently the PSP has had some problems, dead pixels and loose buttons, and of course the famous disk launching problem. Of course these could all off been fixed by now...With Animal Crossing coming out for the DS, that right there is a good reason for me to purchase the DS. Animal Crossing's gameplay can last forever. I still play it on my GameCube (that's probaly the only game I play on my cube now. I still pop in an old title once and a while, but the Gamecube has hardly been geting any good games.). I'll probaly pick up a DS once Animal Crossing comes out for it. I'd have to sacrafice all my spare time in Animal Crossing DS, even if that means missing out on Halo 2 and Call of Duty multiplayer. But if that's what it takes to play Animal Crossing DS, I'll do it. But that not happening quite yet.

19. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

PSP Issues

About the PSP issues, the UMD Disc eject problem wasn't actually a problem. The only way a that it is possible for the disc to come out, is if you: hit the eject button, twist the system and forcing the latch to come loose. I've never been able to do it by twisting the system, only by pushing the eject button, and the disc has never 'popped out' I dunno what that is all about. The only real issue was the square button issue, which has been fixed, and the sticky shoulder buttons which should be fixed by the US release (March 24).

20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Actualy there was a video online showing the disk popping out. Someone here at MacRumors gave out the link. I could of observed it wrong though.

21. applekid macrumors 68020

Now, now. No need to bash the PSP for some really petty things.

First off, no need to say the PSP is only get PS2 ports. That's all just fanboy propaganda. There's definitely some games down the line that are original or a continuing of a franchise.

Secondly, who cares if the PSP launches UMDs?! It actually takes effort to get the friggin' thing flying. Quit tossing that crap around.

With that said, I'm still rooting for the DS. The PSP battery life is just unacceptable. 5-7 hours for gaming alone is not good. I need a good 15-20 without recharging. When you're on trips or even at home gaming, the last thing you want to worry about is recharging or replacing batteries. If I wanted to be stuck using a wall outlet for power all day, I would stick to playing consoles.

But most importantly, the room for innovative and satisfying games is actually there with the DS. The games being brought to the PSP have been things done many times before. Time for something fresh.

Abstract, for some Nintendo nostalgia, I would actually recommend getting a GBASP. Tons of old Nintendo games have been ported and updated for the GBA. Do some searching on GameFAQs.com of some old, classic, popular NES and SNES titles, and there's a pretty decent chance it'll be listed as a GBA game as well.

22. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm glad the guy above has spoken some sense _BUT_ I need to point out that the DS batteries don't last anywhere near 15 to 20 hours, before I sold mine I was lucky if I got 8 to 10 and it tooks ages to charge, at least twice as long as my PSP.

As for the other "facts" about the PSP mine has been perfect from day 1, but I'm not getting in to that again - buy what you want - no one really cares!

23. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yes, the GBA has some good titles. I love the arcade style Mario games. But I still want the DS for Animal Crossing.

24. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I don't have a problem with the battery life at all. If I needed longer play time, I would put it to sleep and find an outlet. I'm the kinda person to leave things plugged in when they are not in use. I'm unable to imagine using my psp for 6-8 hours straight with NO possible means of external power. Meaning long car trip: car adapter. long plane trip: plane adapter (do these exist, I dunno). They should come out with a much better battery in the future, I'm almost sure of it. Also, with the UMD popping out video, you can tell that he leaned the system downward before it popped out. He could have easily hit the eject button next to the shoulder button.

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://www.gamesarefun.com/consoles/psp/pspdefect2.mov

But you have to do it purposefully.