I think I'm going to buy a PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

All of a sudden I saw what a lot of other people have been seeing. A £430 Linux computer, that works with my 2007WFP monitor along with a BT keyboard and mouse. But then I got thinking...
    No rumble, no games that interest me, no Xbox Live killer, forced into Blue Ray (I can spell).

But then it has other values. Built in WiFi which is an absolute necessity for me. Full backwards compatibility (hey hey! my PS1 discs come in use!). With the right Linux software this could be the next XBMC.

I'm absolutely torn between 360 or PS3, or even just going absolutely crazy and pimping out my Wii :D

I wish MS would sort out their 360's issues, same for the PS3 though. Why can't they be perfect :(

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Well, jimmi, I guess you really need to decide what games you want to play/if you want to play games. You are all over Halo 3 it seems, and that's something you can't get anywhere but on the 360. So buying a PS3 now means that you still have to buy a 360 when Halo 3 comes out. And since you don't care about BR, you could most definitely build a better linux machine for your money. But then do you need/want another computer. It just seems to me like you'd be happier with a 360 and it's media streaming functions as opposed to a PS3.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

4. wako macrumors 65816

Im confused... what issues?

If you are going to be buying a PS3 just because you can run Linux on it, you must be one rich punk. Naturally most people would just take all their old parts and put it together into a PC and then run Linux on it. Want BT and WiFi? Just spend 50 bucks (or in your case maybe 25 pounds) and get dongle and network card.

In any case, PS3 is one big black paper weight until they start cranking out some real games. Dont expect anything the next 2 months by the way, their only getting 3 if not 4 games if they are lucky.

Im loving my Wii360 combo :)

5. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Remember PS1 games will look lik ecrap on the PS3, but if you play it on the PS1 is looks even better, same goes for PS2, dont ask me why but its Sonys mistake!

And i vote 360 or pimped out Wii

6. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I'm not recommending anything(lol), although I will point out there are a couple programs that already allow you to stream media form your PC to your PS3.
    The first is redkawa, but I think you have to transcode your media first(which kind of sucks)
    The latest is Orb, and I haven't read too much about it, but it does sound more robust.

There will definitely be a few good must-have games for PS3 this year, but are they enough to constitute a $600 purchase(opinions vary)
    360 is considerably cheaper(short-term), and also currently has more "must-have" titles.....but will it get that HDMI update.
    Some don't care, but IF(and this is not so big of and if, but more of a when - if you ask me) they implement HDCP, that HD DVD drive is not gonna be worth its weight in "power-brick." :p

Anywho, if your riding the fence to see who the clear frontruner will be, you may be riding the fence for a while and/or making a decision too early and regretting it.
    Although I think both consoles will fare very well this gen(in NA) and either choice is decent.
    It really dpends on what kind of gaming you like.
    360 is more FPS-centric, while PS3 will probably get more RPG support.

Hopefully in March when Sony releases this alleged "MAJOR" firmware update, they will have fixed/finished their scaling issue.
    (and backwards compatibility)

Once they get their emulator running they can start to manufacture the PS3 without the built in EE+GS(PS2 hardware), which should help the price drop rather quickly

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Maybe you can't....spelling "We" like that:p .
    Like coded-dude said "no recommendations" in the end your going to buy it and come back here talking how it sucked and you waste all of your money and blah blah blah.
    Get what you need and what you want.

Bless

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A £430 Linux computer. You already have an intel imac dont you Jimmi. Get parallels & you can download any free distrbution of Linux and your not spending anything (well bar £30 for parallels)

256mb system ram on Linux will not provide amazing peformance regardless of cpu.

As you have said a million times before to everyone - a PS3 is a games console.

As for a streaming media device, well has anyone got this up and running yet?

BT mouse support. Well only if your BT mouse & keyboard has Linux drivers.

Have you ever actually used linux. It's kind of clunky. I've used it on and off for about 2 years and certainly wont be rushing out to install it on a ps3.

Buying a PS3 for Linux when you have an intel mac is just silly period. In fact Jimmi - I honestly believe your never going to be happy with a PS3 or a 360, so maybe just save your money and put it towards some killer apple gear that will no doubt appear this year.

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Ermmm...aren't you one of the people who complain that games consoles should be designed to play games? In which case, going and buying a games console whilst admitting that there are no games which interest you seems the ultimate backtrack.

10. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Digital Foundry Ltd today reveals its support for Sony’s brand new PlayStation 3 platform, announcing HDMI video capture services that guarantee pristine quality high definition video. “Digital Foundry’s HD capture technology was built from the ground up to support both high-end analogue and pure digital sources,” says Richard Leadbetter, company director. “PlayStation 3 is the first games console to be launched that allows for a straight digital transfer from the host machine, and the result is a level of visual fidelity we’ve only witnessed from ultra high-end PC video cards.”

This translates into a whole host of benefits for Digital Foundry clients:

Perfect digital quality video for use in-game, or for promotional purposes
    Promotional videos can be rescaled for broadcast (SD and HD), DVD and internet usage with the very best possible quality
    The entire video output of a capture session can be used to extract perfect quality screenshots
    A key advantage for Digital Foundry is the fact that its core technology is entirely portable, meaning that the company can work on location - anywhere in the UK, Europe and North America. Its HD capture units are the size of a toaster and weigh just six kilograms.
    “Being able to work on-site with developers and publishers is a crucial part of the service we provide,” says Richard Leadbetter. “It means that we have access to all of the people that know the games best, resulting in the most dynamic, exciting gaming footage. It also means that we can copy off our captures on-site and they be used internally by our clients. More than anything though, time is the most precious commodity in the games industry - on-site visits work best for our always-busy clients.”

Digital Foundry HD capture technology is also available for licensing to clients in the games industry looking to take care of all their high definition capture in-house, and already boasts high-profile licensees in the UK, Germany and the USA.

“The quality of our video from PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and Nintendo Wii is second to none, and one single Digital Foundry HD box allows for component, VGA, DVI and HDMI video capture.” says Richard Leadbetter. “Being able to bring that level of flexibility, portability and industry-leading quality to media outlets, developers and publishers is just one of the services that we are proud to offer.”

More information about Digital Foundry and Digital Foundry HD can be found at http://www.digitalfoundry.org

/off-topic

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I was were you are right now...I went with the pimp my Wii. I now have 4 Wii Remotes and 4 Nunchucks,1 classic controller, more then 1/2 the amount of my total NGC games over 5 years, in 2 months for the Wii. HD Cables, and some cash left over for iPhone, Wii games, DS games and Apple stuff.

I'll buy a xBox 360 next xMas with Halo 3!

12. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Anyway, if I had enough money for a PS3, I wouldn't need to think twice about putting it towards the "Buy The Next Top Model iMac" fund :D

13. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

But not correctly, in this case.

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I was wondering the same thing. :confused:
    What issues plague the 360 now?
    Forget about the launch console overheating/update brick fiasco because that's old news.

IMO the 360 doesn't have any issues. :rolleyes:

I was thinking of the Ps3 this past weekend, and came upon one conclusion: if I was in the market to buy a BluRay player, I'd get a Ps3 at a cheaper price (than the entry fee of a standalone BluRay player) with the bonus of all the other things it does. As a games console [on it's own], I'm not interested in the Ps3. If BluRay wins the HD format war, I might get a Ps3. But we're talking about 2-3+ years down the road of something like that happening. (= BluRay declared the HD format war winner)

15. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Make a list of all PS3 game out now or coming out in the next year that you want to play. Then do it again for the 360. Whichever list is longer should be the system you purchase. It's really as easy as that.

18. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

whatever's up to you cause i think all systems are great and offer a different experience

19. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not! haha! *check my location*

a few folk have asked about the 360 not being perfect, well to me it's lacking-

WiFi. An absolutely necessity.
    Loud. I play at night mostly so the volume has to be low.
    HDD is paltry. I'm a digital hoarder, you have to be when you're internet connection is as slow as mine and re-downloading would take an age.
    *though the rumoured upgrade coming might fix the above problems.*
    I want 100% b/c. I've got so many Xbox games that won't play on a 360.

Some good points out there too. 256mb is awfully smally. I don't know what I'd do with a Linux system either. There's nothing OSX and XP can't do between them.

See now I'm not looking at it for the games at all. I could not care less for Final Fantasy, DMC, Okami etc. But looking at it as a BR playing cheap computer and yea. The appeal suddenly jolts up somewhat (though I suppose I don't intend on ever watching a BR film).
    I dunno still. I might not even buy a 360 or PS3. Right this moment I can't afford my own Wii for heavens sake! haha. I suppose time will tell. If I move to America later in the year I might get one, seeing they're much cheaper like.

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

jimmi:

Honestly now, you could build a MUCH better mini PC (small form factor) for the same price or much cheaper.

Getting PS3 for Linux would be rather weak, imo. It's got 256MB of RAM, come one! heh.

You know you could get 1GB of RAM easy, and an 80GB HDD for cheap. WiFi cards are also really cheap.

Heck, you could get a Mac Mini for that price although it obviously wouldn't do games. Heck, an Apple TV would work as a fine media center and you could just stream your content from the mac/pc.... rather then duplicating all that media!

Remember what happened when you did this with PSP? LOL :p

21. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

:apple: TV... hmm. Good point.
    In the end a nice little Mac Mini could suffice. I'd have burning capabilities at least...

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Of course it was sarcasm. :)

I posted that, because whenever there's a thread like this, the original poster always buys the item regardless of the feedback. :)

<]=)

23. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Nah... I can't act silly. the PSP was a mistake, that really wasn't what I was expecting.
    I suppose it's the PS1/2 library that really interests me. I didn't play PS2 to any great detail and PS1 had some awesome games. But there's no decent way to connect a PS2 to my 2007WFP.
    plus... The PS2 isn't worth what it costs, the PS3 is.

:eek:

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I second that on the PS2's cost. It's worth half of that at best IMO. Tis why I figured I would just get a PS3.

<]=)

25. Boxer macrumors regular

I have had the 360 and the PS3. I actually sold the 360 a few weeks ago because I didn't really play it ever. I then played the PS3 at a buddies house and I had to have one. I went out last monday and bought one. I got the premium system with the 60 gb and the wifi. An extra wireless controller here, an HDMI cable here and a few games later and I spend about a grand!!! I couldn't believe it!

After playing the PS3 for the past week, all I have to say is WOW. This system is amazing! Hooked up to my 50" Toshiba DLP it is far better than the 360 IMO. I think the graphics while on HD are much better on the PS3. I bought the 360 the day it came out and actually I wasn't impressed with the quality. It had its fair share of issues. Which is expected to an extent. The PS3 has had NO problems at all and seems flawless. Everything is so smooth and crisp.

It sucks because after talking with my fiance today I found out she wants to get a Macbook really bad to replace her old junky PC. So I have to sell the PS3 to help fund the macbook. I am sad because I had to put it on craigslist today.

I will say that it is the best system in my opinion. If you compare what you get for the money it is a far better bargain than the 360. You get built in wireless capability out of the box, you don't have to pay for online play, and it comes with a Blue ray player!