Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I really miss the ability to download files to the phone. I miss tube are in particular and I miss downloading Ebooks and reading them on the phone.

Huh? I download PDFs, ePub, Kindle and comic books to my iPhone all the time, without using iTunes. Just surf, press the link to download and press and hold on the file and choose "Open In..." Can even do this with archived formats like Zip, Rar, whatever.

Do what you want but at least learn how to use the device properly or you'll be hating the Android too.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I'm using calibre to convert a PDF to a mobi format and upload it in kindle library and open it on my iPad and I can't do it.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Why bother converting a PDF to a Mobi? Just press and hold the PDF and choose "Open in iBooks". Using mail you can even email books to yourself, or use Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Your issue is likely in the calibre conversion, which can easily corrupt the file header.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Why bother converting a PDF to a Mobi? Just press and hold the PDF and choose "Open in iBooks". Using mail you can even email books to yourself, or use Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Your issue is likely in the calibre conversion, which can easily corrupt the file header.

I prefer the kindle format because it makes it much easier to read on the bus to work in the morning but I think you're right it's the calibre conversion.

The thing is since I can access the android file system when I had android, I could easier copy and paste the converted mobi format to the kindle folder on my android device.

I prefer the ipad by a mile over android tablets.

I'm going to do what you described.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
It's been a while since I tried to open a non-DRM'd mobi file on the iPhone but I seem to recall I could just as easily select and hold and say "Open In Kindle app" to open it there. Might want to try that.

Having full access to the file system is great for customization options, side loading and such.

But for something as simple as transferring a file and opening it, iOS model of abstracting you from the file system makes simple tasks very easy.

Ringtones though....don't get me started.

PS: just tried, still works. Try this:

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1232/pg1232.mobi

Last edited:

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Android phones do not have better a battery life because they're running android; they have a better battery life due to having a battery that's 1.5-2 times the size of an iPhone's battery.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
Android phones do not have better a battery life because they're running android; they have a better battery life due to having a battery that's 1.5-2 times the size of an iPhone's battery.

My 5s gets better battery life than my S4 ever did on its best day. When I can stream an hour of Slacker radio over bluetooth plus some web browsing and texts and my battery is still at 98% after that usage and 3 hours off the charger, thats nice. My S4 would drop to 98% off the charger 15 minutes just sitting there.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My 5s gets better battery life than my S4 ever did on its best day. When I can stream an hour of Slacker radio over bluetooth plus some web browsing and texts and my battery is still at 98% after that usage and 3 hours off the charger, thats nice. My S4 would drop to 98% off the charger 15 minutes just sitting there.

You must have had a defective phone. I can shoot a bunch of photos and even a video before my phone drops to 99 percent.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

And the bigger battery typically due to larger screen = larger device = more room for one. And that larger screen, under equal use, burns more juice as well. Not enough to completely diminish the value of the larger battery, but enough to tax it.

Although I've really not found that my S3 and S4 got noticeably better battery life than my iPhone 5 in normal use. That's likely because I'm running a lot of add-ons on the Samsung's and they tend to absorb more juice.

This is with carrying both each day, with Wifi enabled + location services and bluetooth.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
You must have had a defective phone. I can shoot a bunch of photos and even a video before my phone drops to 99 percent.

Doubtful, but try 1hrs 30mins of use and 3hrs 41mins off the charger and tell me your phone is still at 98%. Please post proof too.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Doubtful, but try 1hrs 30mins of use and 3hrs 41mins off the charger and tell me your phone is still at 98%. Please post proof too.

Are you going to post proof that after 15 minutes of your phone being idle off the charger it dropped 2%?

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012

I'm going to have to call bs on this one.

My iPhone 5 is at 50% streaming for 2 hours podcast.

Keep in mind your battery in new so check back in 6 months and say that again.

I still didn't sell the 5. Still have it.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
I'm going to have to call bs on this one.

My iPhone 5 is at 50% streaming for 2 hours podcast.

Keep in mind your battery in new so check back in 6 months and say that again.

I still didn't sell the 5. Still have it.

You have the 5, I have the 5s, different internals.

Rickline84

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
I am doing the opposite. I will be switching back to iphone. I had iphone 4 that i sold to buy galaxy s3 last year. I managed to keep gS3 6 months and bought iphone 5. GS3 was too buggy and the battery was awful. I got tempted by galaxy s4 this year but i am having the same problems (lagging, battery don't last me a day and android apps are just not always reliable). Therefore i will sell my galaxy s4 after using it for 3 months and i am going back to my iphone 5. Wifi connection on iphone 5 is also way better that on my galaxy s4. I also loses wifi connection sometimes with galaxy s4 but never with iphone. .

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
About battery life and Androids, try using a Note 2 full brightness and multi-window with web browser in one and s-note in the other. Audio recording of a two hour meeting never shut off screen. WiFi, BT, and 4G.

Started the meeting with 45% (didn't charge the night before) ended two hours later with 40%.

I don't know about the GS3 or GS4 but the Note 2 destroys the battery life game right now. My wife has to charge her 4s every night and it's usually dead by 6 p.m.

I can keep the Note off of the charger 2-2.5 days if need be.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
About battery life and Androids, try using a Note 2 full brightness and multi-window with web browser in one and s-note in the other. Audio recording of a two hour meeting never shut off screen. WiFi, BT, and 4G.

Started the meeting with 45% (didn't charge the night before) ended two hours later with 40%.

I don't know about the GS3 or GS4 but the Note 2 destroys the battery life game right now. My wife has to charge her 4s every night and it's usually dead by 6 p.m.

I can keep the Note off of the charger 2-2.5 days if need be.

My wife has the 5 and prior to the iOS7 update, I would typically get an extra hour compared to her (I Have an S4), this is taking into account that I am a much heavier user. After the iOS7 update, I get about 1:30 of battery life more than she does.

P.S. I keep my brightness at 100%.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013

Sorry, I call BS. I had a Note 2 for almost a year and dont believe this for a second

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Sorry, I call BS. I had a Note 2 for almost a year and dont believe this for a second

The sad part is many "battery life" claims people make are going to be borderline bs. It will always depend on the person and how theh use it.

Even now I am at 70% battery life after a full day of moderate usage and streaming a few movies over Sprint 4G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.