I think I'm in love... with a THING

Discussion in 'iPod' started by funkychunkz, Sep 7, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I really want to buy the iPod nano. Ever since I've considered an Ipod, I've been stuck between shuffle and the mini. I didn't want to pay more for space, and I wanted a screen. The nano is perfect AND with photo capabilities etc. Is there a downside that I'm blind to? This all seems to good to be true! Would the price go down the day after I buy it? Should I go for 2 or 4 GB?

2. macrumors 6502

The downside? I think that USB 2.0 is a downside. I <3 firewire.

Will the price go down? Not for a while.

2 or 4gb? I say 4. Even if you think you only need 2, the day will come when you'll be glad those extra 2gbs are there.

Just my 2 cents.

3. macrumors 604

clayj

The 4 GB is a no-brainer over the 2 GB. Just from a cost perspective:

4 GB = $249 = $62.25 per GB
    2 GB = $199 = $99.50 per GB

Better to have 2 GB too much, for only an extra $50, than 1 byte too little.

4. macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

hmm... isn't the nano, i dont know, a ripoff. Couldn't you buy a mini yesterday with 4 gigs for 199?? o yeah, no color screen :rolleyes:

5. macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

A ripoff of what? it's a different product? Mini's are still for sale everywhere.

6. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Nope, it's a smaller, lighter device with an entirely different storage technology and, yes, a color screen and (admittedly limited) photo capabilities.

If you think of it as more a hybrid of the shuffle and mini, which are both very successful and well designed products, it becomes much clearer why this product will also successful.

7. macrumors 68040

maya

Don't think the Nano is something to go crazy over. Sure it looks exciting since its NEW.

Downside no FireWire. :p

USB 2.0 cannot booth a computer. :p

Plus no BlueTooth, when is Apple going to implement this sweet feature. I want to use a BT headphone set and a mic. Wake up Apple. :rolleyes:

Yet another products that turn me off, since it has only USB 2.0 and still nothing worth upgrading worthwhile.

Thinner, smaller...sounds like the mobile phone motto. :rolleyes:

Also seems that the PowerBooks will go Black Plastic. While the Consumer line will remain White Plastic. Add a colour protective skin on the new PoweBook or whatever and you have instant colour. :)

8. macrumors 68040

maya

Don't see this as a hugh improvement on the line other than a bigger sibling to the Shuffle.

Shuffled lacked many things, the Nano is just implementing those features loosed in the transition. :)

9. macrumors 604

clayj

Bluetooth will appear in the full-size iPod line before it appears in anything smaller... it's simply a matter of available volume and power. The iPod Photo has plenty more of both.

10. macrumors 65816

There aren't many bluetooth headphones on the market are there?

11. macrumors 6502

i have a 60 gig color and it didnt even come with a firewire cable.... only USB

12. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Newer PCs are starting to have boot from USB mass storage device options. Never tried it with my Mac, but I will take your word for it. I will bet that Mactels will boot from USB, though.

Well, I guess we differ on it being an improvement. For me, the shuffle was great because I could put it in my breast pocket at work and no one knew it was there. I could also put it in my change pocket (as Steve did today) when I was in jeans. It was perfectly sized for me to carry it everywhere, which is what I want.

I have a mini now, and while I view it as an improvement due the much larger capacity and the screen, I lost one of the features that I REALLY liked about the shuffle. Now I can have both. :)

Lastly, I am a big fan of solid state, no moving parts machines. Aside from the clicking part of the click wheel, the nano has no moving parts. I TRY to be careful with my gadgets, but as they say, ***** happens. That much less chance of it failing is an improvement in my book.

13. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Yes but only a handful and none are in the earbud form.

14. macrumors 68000

savar

BlueTooth will appear when battery technology finally makes its "Great Leap Forward"...battery technology is so woefully behind the rest of the industry. It is still the greatest bottleneck to almost any mobile device. Luckily, I think Toshiba is getting close. A few more years and hopefully we'll start to see batteries that charge in 10 minutes and run a Pentium M for 24 hours.

For now, BT would killl the already oh-so-limited battery life to much less.

15. macrumors 68000

nomad01

It could just be an ipod nano feature but if it does make it to the Macs, I think we're more likely to see Intel iBooks in white or black rather than a black powerbook.

Who knows though.

16. macrumors G3

Downside is that it will be slow because it uses flash memory instead of a hard disk.

17. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

You won't notice this... it's a matter of ms...

18. macrumors member

I'm really interested in getting one, but does anyone know if I can use it to store files? Sorry, only Apple thing I ever had was a G4 iBook.

19. macrumors 6502

Of course. You can store files on any iPod, even the Shuffle.

20. macrumors member

I see, just to confirms things- it's possible on a Windows XP machine right? Put my entire documents in there and take it to another location. My 128MB thumbdrive is not capable of doing that in one trip :(

21. macrumors 65816

Yeah, for sure. It's a mass storage device too! Just make sure you buy the right sized iPod...

22. macrumors 68020

Huh?! Flash is tremendously faster than any hard disk. Plus battery life will be incredible.

As for Bluetooth, there are only a few stereo bluetooth headsets out; it's early-adopter territory.

This is the iPod I've been wanting Apple to make from the beginning. Now it's very, very tempting...

And BTW, notice how beautiful it looks compared to the ROKR... :cool:

23. macrumors 6502

strydr

24. thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Couldn't I buy as usb - firewire converter cable, then use it as a boot disk?
    Does anyone here boot off of ipods? If so tell me some about it.

25. macrumors 6502

What? Did you just made that up or something? Flash is much slower than hard drives (this could change in the future though, but that's how it is right now). Even worse, flash is way slower at writing than at reading, and in an iPod we need the writing speed more, to put the music in (for listening the reading speed is more than enough).