I think it is time....

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by pianodude123, Jan 19, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hey arn,

I dont know if I am the only one, but I think it is time for a new forum/site design/update. The grey-ish background with the BIG text ads on top and on bottom are not very appealing. Also, I think we should give the logo a little work...it looks like clip-art. Definately at least make it a bit "aqua-ey!"

If you need some help with the redesign, contact me somehow or another, and I will be glad to help for free.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You know what? I think it's fine... more than fine. Aqua is so yesterday. This site is designed for legibility IMO.

And the logo? It's a good piece of work.
    But what do I know? I'm just a designer.

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

No,

I dont mean "exactly" aqua, just more shiny, and apple like. It is like a generic apple, and apples are FAR from generic. if yolu want generic get a dell

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the logo is great.
    the forums are easy to nagivate. are fast and simple. i wouldn't want them any other ways. (we could just use more smilies :p )

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you think that this site will be improved by some shiny surfaces, I think you're completely missing the point about legibility and usability. This site does not have a 'grey' background and to call the logo 'clipart' betrays a lack of knowledge about logo design.

However, if I have one unasked-for criticism, it would be that the forum section headings (i.e. Mac Hardware, Mac Software etc.) are a little lost on the main forums page. They could do with a little more emphasis to more clearly delineate the separate sections.

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Yes please Arn make it look just like Spymac.

I alwasy wanted to throw up in my mouth a little bit just like iGary everytime I visit. :rolleyes:

7. cubist macrumors 68020

Not only is the site very easy to read, but also, it loads fast. And I like the recent improvement where you can edit in place.

OK, more smilies might be nice, but nothing else, ok?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I once went to an Australian Mac forums site that had a brushed metal look. It was Safari within Safari. After thirty seconds I left, it was ridiculously hard to follow. :eek:

Having said that, I'd like more naked ladies on the front page arn. This is the internet.

9. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I agree that the forums being very simple and plain make them very readable and pleasing on the eye. It took me about 3 months to realize the logo had a question mark in it....

10. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I never noticed it until you mentioned it!!
    crawls back under rock
    PS-the site is fine the way it is!!

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I actually really like the logo :)

As for a general site redesign, I don't have any plans. I could tweak some things here and there and tighten things up a bit, but that's the extent.

I do think the icons/smilies could use some brushing up. I'm just using the vbulletin default. I've looked around but the icons I've seen elsewhere haven't been that inspiring either.

arn

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I had never noticed it either.

Since we are talking about the logo anyway...
    I was trying to modify the logo to turn it into an icon, so I could bookmark this site in my dock using the logo.
    All I really did to it was make the background transparent, but for some reason it still shows the white. :(
    See... Picture 2.png

What did I do wrong? (The attached image is the icon I tried making)

PS - keep the site the way it is

Attached Files:

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Try using a copy of my avatar, which already has a transparent background on the edges.

arn

14. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I'm not huge into site design, so don't kill me for saying this:

I think i've been to other v bulletin sites where you can hover over a post with your mouse and get a quick preview of the original post. I know more than a few people would object to this as a default, but could it be an option or something?

15. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

unfortunately, I don't think we can enable it individually. it's all or nothing. And the main reason I didn't enable it was that I didn't like it. but other people have said the same.

arn

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

OS X still keeps the white background, even with your avatar. I guess it can't be done. Oh well. Thanks

17. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yeah, definitely not a good idea then.

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try pic2icon or similar...

Attached Files:

19. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Then contribute.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Thanks, that worked perfectly. :)

21. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I like how it looks right now. I got to other forums(don't worry i am not leaving:eek: ) and look at them for 30 seconds and have to leave. Some people have forums that they think look cool for about 2 seconds then i try to read a post.......I like the way it is.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I didn't notice it until now either, and I've been here 2 years, 2 months (minus 2 days ;)) longer than you! :eek:
    I personally like the site design, sans the lack of smileys. I like the default IPB smileys, and I also like the smileys at Macfora.com too.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This site is fine the way it is. the colors don't hurt my eyes which is a good thing.

Bless

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

25. Aarow macrumors 6502a

Is the macrumors logo supposed to look like a mole? I see a mole..