I think mom's Powerbook is dying

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Stampyhead, May 12, 2006.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help. My mom has a Pismo Powerbook, the one with Firewire (400mHz, 450? I can't remember...)It's got OS X 10.3 installed and it's been working great until today. She was trying to connect it to a television via a s-video cable to see if she could use it for a presentation she was going to do at work. At one point the spinning beach ball of death came on and the machine basically froze up, so she forced it to restart. It took quite a while to get started and then when it finally came on it flashed the question mark/file folder thing which, as I understand it, usually means that the computer can't find the system folder. The weird thing is that it kept alternating between showing that and showing the two-face Macintosh logo. It would flash one for a few seconds and then flash other, back and forth. Is this an indication of a hard drive failure or something far more sinister? The frustrating thing is that my mom lives in a different state so I have to attempt to help her trouble shoot this over the phone. If anyone has any ideas what this might be that can get me pointed in the right direction to fix it I would be eternally grateful.

2. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Hey again,
    If no one comes up with a solution to this by the end of the week I'll probably have her just wipe the hard drive and install the OS again. I hate for her to lose all her photos she has on there, but there probably aren't many other alternatives. Was hoping to get her computer working again for Mother's Day, but it may have to wait a little longer.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Here is an article from apple about it. It happens more than you might think but it may still be a sign of impending doom. Better get her to back-up her data ASAP.
    and a general link about startup issues from apple.

4. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Cool, thanks Blue! That's just what I was looking for. I had searched on Apple's site as well, but didn't find much.
    Thanks again.