Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I have this friend who's in his second year of med school here at the U, he used to be the Captain of the Tennis team when I was in high school. The last few month he's been acting kind of anti-social and belligerent. We thought it was because his girlfriend broke up with him last year, but it's not it. So yesterday we were chilling and I found Dilaudid in his bathroom med cabinet, which is a commonly abused drug. I told our close friends and together we seem to be leaning toward telling his parents.

I hope its the right thing to do...

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Have you considered the fact that he may need such a strong pain killer and it's the side effects making him act the way he does?

EDIT: I guess the meds are prescription drugs. Does he still play tennis?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Have you considered the fact that he may need such a strong pain killer and it's the side effects making him act the way he does?

DILAUDID-- hydromorphone hydrochloride

Nice drug there. Dilaudid is a Schedule II drug in the US... not something you get for a minor hurt.

Did he recently undergo any sort of physical trauma? Surgery, car accident, etc? Dialudid isn't a long-term drug due to the abuse risks. If you don't know of any, definitely tell your parents. Rather, tell them he's been acting strange and if they don't know why bring up the topic of the drugs.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'd get a group of close friends together and ask him about it. Tell him you are worried about him and tell him what you found. Just tell him you are his friends and are there for him. You might want to study up on other signs of addiction and see if you spot any of those.

Did the meds have another doctor's name on them...or no name/label?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Are the drugs in his name, who is the Dr that prescribed them and when were they prescribed. If the date is recent and if the number of pills on the label seems to match how many are in the bottle.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
If you don't know of any, definitely tell your parents. Rather, tell them he's been acting strange and if they don't know why bring up the topic of the drugs.
Ok, I'm 22 my other two friends are 22-24. He's 25. We're all adults. I dont think me telling my parents would do a damn thing. He's in med school, but I don't think that's where he got this from. He hasn't had any surgery or anything, the kid's healthy as an ox. He has injuries from basketball, lacrosse, working out like all of us from time to time, but this drug is for post-op patients. it's not for him. The worst of it is, being a med student, he knows its not for him full and well. hence the logical conclusion is it must be abuse.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Are the drugs in his name, who is the Dr that prescribed them and when were they prescribed. If the date is recent and if the number of pills on the label seems to match how many are in the bottle.

bottle with label, but no doc name that i can see.... also no cvs, meijers .... etc tags anywhere

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Ok, I'm 22 my other two friends are 22-24. He's 25. We're all adults. I dont think me telling my parents would do a damn thing.
I told our close friends and together we seem to be leaning toward telling his parents.
Agreed.

He's in med school, but I don't think that's where he got this from. He hasn't had any surgery or anything, the kid's healthy as an ox. He has injuries from basketball, lacrosse, working out like all of us from time to time, but this drug is for post-op patients. it's not for him. The worst of it is, being a med student, he knows its not for him full and well. hence the logical conclusion is it must be abuse.
Medical students cannot write prescriptions, but it probably makes it easier due to the proximity to hospitals, etc.

Logical conclusion, yes. It is also a bit hasty, but it does support the other evidence you've collected. Get a group of friends together and confront him on his behavior. Say you are worried about him. Don't bring up the drugs at all, instead say you all are wondering why he isn't himself of late. If he pushes you guys away, push back; having him look you in the eye when he tells you that.

This guy is a good friend, ya? (I'd assume so, otherwise you wouldn't care so much as to solicit advice as to help him) He probably feels the same about you. He most likely doesn't want to or like to lie to you, especially to your face, especially to your eyes, and especially with a lot of other people who have expressed their concern around him.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
The other thing I would suggest is that maybe you try to talk either his parents or one of his older siblings (if he has them and they get along) to come visit him for a week sometime soon. Just tell them you're worried about his behavior and think he might need some support...I wouldn't mention the drugs to them specifically unless it seems like nothing else will work to get them out there to help him.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
He probably feels the same about you. He most likely doesn't want to or like to lie to you, especially to your face, especially to your eyes, and especially with a lot of other people who have expressed their concern around him.

The first year of this U is notorious for breaking down kids and spitting them out. He tooks us out to parties, introduced us to girls...

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I'd avoid having a group talk to him. It would appear to be confrontational.

Also Dilaudid is not just a post op pain killer. It used for pain killing in Cancer, Renal Colic, Biliary Colic and a couple of others.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Also Dilaudid is not just a post op pain killer. It used for pain killing in Cancer, Renal Colic, Biliary Colic and a couple of others.

It is a Schedule II drug FYI. Pharmacy has to confirm with the doctor, etc. If there wasn't a name on the bottle, either the pharmacy is asking for the feds to close them down or it isn't a legit pharmacy.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
It is a Schedule II drug FYI. Pharmacy has to confirm with the doctor, etc. If there wasn't a name on the bottle, either the pharmacy is asking for the feds to close them down or it isn't a legit pharmacy.

FYI I do know it's a Schedule II drug:rolleyes:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Yes, but did you know in 1862, during the American Civil War, Union forces won the Battle of Pea Ridge and cemented their control of Missouri? :rolleyes:

No, really?:eek:

And it's entirely relevant to the discussion too!!

Congratulations!!!
Top marks!!

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
We talked today... he said he gets it from his people, he doesn't need it but he chooses to use it. So, he's admitted to being a functional junkie, basically.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
this saddens me:( hes not a child though...what do you think?

i think he's cooping with his parents moving to brazil, his girlfriend leaving him for his good friend, and general med school stress.

not that this justifies drug abuse...

still, maybe he can be functional, i mean look at House?

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
i think he's cooping with his parents moving to brazil, his girlfriend leaving him for his good friend, and general med school stress.

...i notices your thing says ann arbor..not to get off topic but..are you at U of M... im out in oakland county..the auburn hills area is this familiar to you? i know ann arbor is only 2 hours away or an hour

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
So essentially he's in denial. Which is ok, as long as you know he's there ('cause he likely doesn't).

You're in a tough spot here, 'cause you need to support your friend while getting him the professional support he needs (and there's the greater challenge of getting him to that place without him shutting down entirely).

It's good that you talked to him about it ... that's he's aware that you're aware may not be a small thing.

Do you know if he's done any counselling (drug or otherwise) in the past? Not to say it's something to suggest right now, though ...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
No, really?:eek:

And it's entirely relevant to the discussion too!!

Congratulations!!!
Top marks!!
It was for your information, but sarcastic-like.

We talked today... he said he gets it from his people, he doesn't need it but he chooses to use it. So, he's admitted to being a functional junkie, basically.

I haven't heard the term functional junkie before. I'm worried that he could spiral/escalate his drug use to something worse, i.e. something that doesn't come out of a safe medical lab.

That's a lot of tough stuff to deal with. Drugs will make it worse. Maybe things will seem better now for him, but things will get worse in the long run. Drugs-->failing med school-->what then?

He is in medical school to eventually help people, right? (Something to ask him) Without being confrontational, you can help him realize that he cannot help people if he flunks med school.

...And House is a T.V. show. Improperly used drugs make a person less functional. He needs help.

So essentially he's in denial. Which is ok, as long as you know he's there ('cause he likely doesn't).

You're in a tough spot here, 'cause you need to support your friend while getting him the professional support he needs (and there's the greater challenge of getting him to that place without him shutting down entirely).

It's good that you talked to him about it ... that's he's aware that you're aware may not be a small thing.

Do you know if he's done any counselling (drug or otherwise) in the past? Not to say it's something to suggest right now, though ...

The first step in all of those twelve-step programs is admitting you have a problem. Shucking denial is a big step, but an important one. Because he is in medical school, and medical students eventually become medical doctors, and medical doctors help people (not for the money-- please don't say he went into medicine for the money-- you won't find it there) I think the best way to solve your friend's drug problem, IF HE IS A COMMITTED MEDICAL STUDENT, is to go that route. Have him do some soul searching. Does he want to help people? Maybe save lives? If he is smart enough to get into medical school, he might be smart enough to realize that he can't be a drug addict and a doctor. And that if he fails medical school he can't be a doctor either. If his passion is helping people, his passion might win over his vice.

My 2¢.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.