Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Portal83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
My original iMac G5 had been experiencing some weird freezing for a couple months but I think it's finally dead. Today it was freezing constantly and weird crazy lines covered the screen. Next time, I came back to it and the lines were back and the fan was going nuts. I turned it off and now it's really screwed up from boot.

Is it safe to assume the thing's just been run into the ground and has now officially bit the dust?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Check your RAM. The same symptoms happened to me when I upgraded to a bad batch or RAM. Replacing the original working RAM fixed the problem until OWC sent me some new sticks.

ceezy3000

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
The Valley!!
try everything you can!
1st: try resetting the pram by holding command+option+R+P when you turn it on.
2nd.try safebooting by holding shift on startup
3rd. try hitting it

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
It's not dead I'm sure probably just a hardware issue and a fresh reinstall will fix things right up. If I can keep a G4 working on bubblegum coat hangers duct tape and spit that's passing the 10 year mark I'm certain a G5 has a lot more life in it than that:D

Nukemkb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2006
Columbia, SC
It's not dead I'm sure probably just a hardware issue and a fresh reinstall will fix things right up. If I can keep a G4 working on bubblegum coat hangers duct tape and spit that's passing the 10 year mark I'm certain a G5 has a lot more life in it than that:D

Darn right! :apple:

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany

Hardware isn't the OS. The OS is software and the computer itself is hardware.

Portal83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
try everything you can!
1st: try resetting the pram by holding command+option+R+P when you turn it on.
2nd.try safebooting by holding shift on startup
3rd. try hitting it

Hehe, tried all 3 and switching the RAM but no change. At least my new MBP should get here Monday. I'll see if I can get far enough to wipe/reinstall but my superdrive hasn't worked much for about a year :)

Maybe I'll just pop out the HDD but I think my backup's up to date.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
no1 has mentioned this yet it could be the cause::

if the screen is going all crazy and liney they it could be

*pause*

the GPU!!!!

run the hardware test if you can!

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Hardware isn't the OS. The OS is software and the computer itself is hardware.
You'd be surprised how a bad piece of ram or a fxxcked up PCI card can effect software over the course when the software is forced to operate under bad physical conditions and limitations that can lead to anomalies in the software's code, errors can build up over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.