I think my iBook is a Lemon

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Kwyjibo, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I ordered my iBook 800 the day they came out and when its not in the shop I love it. Over Winter Break my iBook began having a weird problem. While running osx i would get these strange horizontal lines (the same as those shown below). So i called up AppleCare and they walked me thru reseting pRam, Power management and removing my aiport/extra ram. After all these things plus an erase and install nothing worked. So i sent it in and purchased applecare thinking better safe than sorry. They sent me a box and repalced my motherboard and sent it back on Jan 6. I booted up and everything was great. I ran safari and it was has worked since until today. (the previos system was running 10.2.3). Well today i was ichatting and my screen started to get vertical lines again it froze and now it won't boot. I'm really pissed off I mean how unlcik do i get. Did i buy a Lemon computer? Whats wrong any ideas? any help is usueful i've tried reseting pram/power management and i was running 10.2.4 before the major crash. I'm posting screen shots of what the lines looked like after i tired to reboot it but it froze on the reboot. I'm in urgent need of helping and my faith in apple is fleeding fast...and i'm back to windows 98 if you don't save me now i'm gonna have ot face facts and unswitch for lack of stablility, how ironic

for a full size image with a higher res please see this link;

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Re: I think my iBook is a Lemon

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: lemon.

And then stab them for not telling you in the first place.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yep, demand full replacement. it's probably the video ribbon or LCD itself (the LCD controller, maybe) but there's no use in troubleshooting it, they can do that themselves and sell it refurbished.

pnw

6. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

lets say i call tomorrow and they decided to repalce it. What do I get a new or refurb one? I have an Airpot card and 384 mb of ram what happens to that if they decided to send me a repalcement.

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

you get the same computer you originally ordered, by specs. no more, no less. if you added anything, take it out before you send it back. you shouldn't get a refurb, but if you do you'll probably still be happy with the machine. these things happen, but they need to be more forthcoming about it.

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Don't try and fix it yourself, you might break it of course. But call Apple and in a calm voice tell them all about it. People act nicer when spoken to in a calm manor. I understand your frustration and you should deserve a replacement GOOD LUCK! :D

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

perhaps it is apple's fault and your iBook is a lemon because you already had to replace the logic board :)D).
    and you actually e-mailed Steve Jobs about this! wow you're brave...

10. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Its going bye bye tomorrow

well i called applecare gasve them my case number before and the airborne express box is on its way. They want you to leave in airport/ram so they canfind the problem. As for the thing about getting a reurb one. Its simply not the same as having your iBook or a new iBook.

11. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

i guess you don't have a local apple store?

try that next time. even get the store people
    to call tech support for you. anything would
    help in this unique situation.

when you think about it... the new motherboard
    kinda made yours a refurb :(

12. KershMan macrumors 6502

Same thing here

This exact same thing happened to my wife's 800 on Friday. It did not happen prior to the 10.2.4 update. However, the trackpad did freeze every now and again.

On the Applie iBook forum, there are a few threads about this. The opinion there is the logic board may be cracked near the trackpad which can cause the freezing pad. Not sure if this also applies to the video.

I took my wife's in to the Menlo Park store with pictures of the screen. I had done all the trouble-shooting I could including running hardware diagnostics, removing airport and RAM, archive and install 10.2.3 and fresh install of 10.2.3.

All the same. Never got to updating to 10.2.4 again because the computer froze on the blue screen and would not continue logging in after the second reboot or so.

They took it and should have shipped it off to Apple already. I expect the logic board to be replaced, but who knows.

13. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah but i'm skeptical that its the logic board since i jsut got a new one. I've been to the apple discussion boards but it only seems like a bunch of people banding together with no real solution so I don't post there. I seriously hope they fix it this time.

14. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Re: Same thing here

I like the Menlo Store, but it doesnt have a theater. The theaster draws people into the store. Like a fly to a bug-zapper. :)

15. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

16. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Just a small update since many people read my tale of woe. So later that night I was quite pissed off and I wrote an email to sjobs@apple.com about how dissapointed I was in my iBook and how it seemed like a mistake to swtich. Well today I got a phoen call form a woman who was calling ot mkae sure that my computer got repaired and that everything went smoothly. She gave me a number to call and even tho the box is on its way she was still very cool about it. You think anyone reads emails to Bill Gates and then takes the time to get a phone number and call the person; i think not. I'm very impressed that Apple took the time to call me and make sure a solution was in play what great people.

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

lol that was exactly whay I was thinking. :D

Thay happened to my friends iMac, but his whole screen had
    both vertical and horizontal lines. :(

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

So you listened to my mom eh? Well I'm glad everything's working out great...you still want those cinema displays? my mom said you were totally angry at apple that night and didn't really listen when she told you to e-mail Steve himself. ;)

19. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Well just to update the people at MacRumors. I got my iBook back today and they replaced the logic board, the chip, and the LCD. I'm not sure which it was but heres the catch. I powered up and started using it again, it works fine. A few hours later I try to charge it and the LED wont go on. I picked it up and got a tiny shock and then saw a small break in the power adpater in the palstic right before the connector. I called applecare and of course they will replace it and i can expect my adaptor in TEN DAYS ahhh. That makes for 8 days since my iBook broke and now another ten before I an use it again. This really sucks. Although I can understand why it akes a little whiel to get it out o me how long do I have to wait b4 i can use osx. Thanks for reading hopefully my adaptor will be here soon. The irony is delicious. When I have working power adaptor my ibook works and when I have a working iBook my power adapt does not.

20. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

You're kidding, right??? Because if you say you aren't I'll call you on your bluff... :D

21. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Sorry to dissapoint you but she was responding to me.... Its a secret deal with have going :D

22. Wonder Boy macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

I got a lemon Ruby DV back in the day. I got it replaced. Then the replacement went buggy. I got a blue dalmation as a replacement. That was buggy. On the 4th try, apple finally got it right.

My advise: Don't buy first editions. Wait 3 months and get a computer without all the "first round bugs".

23. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yeah thats good advice except my icebook is like the rev C or something... things should have been worked out ... the irc channel brought this one back hehe