I think my iMac is giving me a sun burn

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barrysfarm, Feb 13, 2006.

1. barrysfarm macrumors regular

Warning: This may sound weird, but every bit of it's true.

I'm a webdesign freelancer and I've been working 16 hour days because much more work has been coming in recently. I bought myself a new 20" intel iMac a couple weeks ago, to celebrate and it has been great. Yesterday I noticed that my arms were looking quite a bit darker, like I'd been at the beach for a couple of hours. I didn't say anything to my girlfriend, but I took note in my head. Later, about 10 hours into my work day, she came and visited me and said that my face was really red, like I forgot to put on sun screen.

The iMac's display is the brightest thing in the room. There is a window, but it has shades. There is a light fixture on the ceiling, but it barely puts out much light at all. I haven't been leaving the apartment for more than a 1/2 hour at a time, and usually it's to go shopping. The weather has been really cloudy recently too.

I have serious doubts the display is giving me a tan, but it's the most logical conclusion I can think of. Either that or I'm allergic to bluetooth. Any ideas?

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Maybe you've been using the flash built into Photobooth too much. :D

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Maybe his soft Illinois skin can't handle a bit of light? Eh? Ya bit soft mate? Gee, if you're getting sunburn from your iMac I'd hate to see you down here - where you can get a bad sunburn on a cloudy day....in the middle of winter.

Sounds like you're a bit sensitive to the light,is it an actual burn (scratchy, painful, peels after a couple of days) or are you just red? Maybe the iMac's making you blush?

Give it some time, make sure it's actually sunburn (and do I know about sunburn....I got done on Australia Day on Jan 26th and I'm still peeling) then maybe invest in some tint film you could place in front of the screen to lessen the glare.

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

BAHAHAHAHAHA. Um, that's hilarious. I'm sorry. I can't stop laughing.

Well, if you're having a problem, just try SPF 30. Hehe.

5. Melkor macrumors 6502

That is weird!

Sounds dangerous...

Time to get sun screne my friend.

6. barrysfarm thread starter macrumors regular

It's a burn...it's red and painful. It's not deep enough to peel off tho.

If this is indeed the problem, I'm caught in the struggle of wearing gross sun screen everyday or turning the brightness down slightly. bwaa bwaa.

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Just get a nice moisturizer with some SPF already. It's lighter and not as greasy usually.

You sure you're not just rubbing your face a lot while you're working at your computer??? If not, I'd suggest getting out a little more, too. Ha ha! :D

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

SOFT.

On the other hand, you could rent it out as a solarium. Make some extra cash during that long,cold winter of yours.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All jokes aside I would see a dermotologist. You may have some kind of skin condition. Oddly enough, you could be reacting to something around your mac. Is there a PC in the room? If so, get rid of it.

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

You're a funny man Chundles! Believe it or not, I was thinking of the solarium idea too. Maybe this was Apple's plan all along, to design a computer that also has the potential of being turned into a tanning studio.

11. barrysfarm thread starter macrumors regular

Now that you say something...there IS a pc in the room....hmmm, that sneaky bastard.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the longer hours, maybe this is some sort of fatigue thing...or maybe rosetta = rosacea...

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

It's definitely an anaphylactic reaction to the PC. :D

13. tooltruk macrumors newbie

same thing happens to me....

I recently bought a 20" iMac, and I've started to notice that my face gets super red after being in front of my screen for a longer period of time (1-2hours). I don't know if it's burn, because it goes away after about 30 mins after being away from the computer. My eyes also immediately start to get very dry and irritated. Never had this reaction to my MacBook or Powerbooks. Strange, but I have to say it's not just imagined or something else... it is the iMac screen!

14. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

You guys need to get out more. the fatigue is making u more susceptible to mac-burn. 16 hr days. that is terrible open up the shades more sit farther away from the screen. to test if it is the screen,wear a ski-mask and see if it reduces/stops. if it does, turn down the brightness. 100% w/ the led is ridiculous.

15. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Man, PC's should be health regulated. I've noticed that when a non-Apple computer is in the same room as myself I get a pounding migraine and nausea.

Where is our medical research where we really need it?! :mad:

16. MasterDev macrumors 65816

It could be a skin condition also triggered by a certain heat and constant stillness.

So the other light in the room, or maybe some bacteria in the room is causing this...

17. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Really? You need a girlfriend or something.

18. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

1. That makes no sense

2. Need? I have few needs in life and that's not one of them, I'd rather save my time, money and Tylenol.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

That's actually kind of scary..... is there some sort of UV filter you can get for your screen? You wouldn't want to end up with melanoma......
    :eek:

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Apple has a help number just for you. Try calling 1 800 TOUGHEN UP.

21. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Might be psychosomatic....?

1. A screen that emits UV rays, gives you a tan...those guys addicted to WoW will never fear getting a pasty white complexion/Vitamin D deficiency because they don't get outside.

2. Glass blocks UV (most of it anyway)

3. That solarium idea is great, if they can get a tan from such a lower power source that would be great!

22. newspypig macrumors newbie

Be carefull of the radiation, it will hurt you. Maybe also your child..:)

23. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

You started the joke, remember?

24. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto