Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Well, it's been around 30 degrees celcius around my house last couple'a days, and my MB fan has been constantly on for the last few days, except when it's sleeping. I though it was because of the hot weather. I installed Core Duo temp, but the temperature in the MB doesn't get over 75 degrees celcius. It's starting to annoy me, since it was perfectly silent before...:mad: :confused:

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
My fans come on if my MacBook Pro is in hot temperatures... its only normal. Nothings wrong. Just listen to music or something to cover it up. :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I can't ever hear a fan in mine. Either it never turns on, or it's very quiet. ...Or maybe I'm deaf! :eek: :eek:

update: after opening nearly all the apps in my Dock, I finally got the fan to turn on! Temperature Monitor read about 75 C when it kicked in.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Well, this morning it's still only 15 degrees outside, and they're still constantly on. I'm only running Safari. I don't understand...:confused: :confused:

I know it's normal it idd it yesterday in these hot temperatures, but shouldn't it have stopped by now?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Josias said:
Well, this morning it's still only 15 degrees outside, and they're still constantly on. I'm only running Safari. I don't understand...:confused: :confused:

I know it's normal it idd it yesterday in these hot temperatures, but shouldn't it have stopped by now?
Have you checked Activity Monitor for any runaway apps?

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
EricNau said:
Have you checked Activity Monitor for any runaway apps?

Yes, only Safari and activity monitor uses CPU, and only 200 MB or my 1 GB RAM is used...:confused:

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
NJuul said:
What is the temperature of your MacBook now, while it's only 15 degrees outside?

53 degrees celcius. Running just Safari...:confused:

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
not too hot, I don't think it should cause the fan to set in.
I'm currently running 56 (on my MBP), and it's whisper quiet.

Maybe you do have an issue there...

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
EricNau said:
Is the fan on at that temperature? At what temperature does the fan kick in (or is it always on)?

it was on back then, now I just retuned, and it's more silent than ever, I guess it just got too hot from the weather...:D Problem solved...

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Damn! It started again! It's a mere 22 degrees celcius inside my room, and my fans are constantly on... CoreDuo Temp tells me my MB is 76 degrees, and I'm ruuning nothing but Safari, yet it says it is running @ 2 GHz, for just Safari? This is extraordinarily annoying, and if this doesn't stop, I will take it back to the Apple Store. I have no clue why it does so, and I will not power down one core for this to stop. I won't have to live with a 1.2 GHz Core Solo MB just because Apple can't make a proper fan.:mad: :mad:
billede11qs.png

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I think you are obsessing about this a little too much, but then again, that's just me.

Isn't the MB supposed to power down cores automatically for heat management?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I think the OP is obsessing a bit too much too.

So what if the fan is on all the time? It happens. I rather have it on all the time than to have it off most of the time like in the MBP.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah, I'm probably just whining whenever my baby does something unexpected!:p

I'll go back to the statement that it is perfect.:D

Hope it wasn't too much trouble. BTW, it's not as loud now... It's also down to 55 degrees now. I think I have been very lucky with my MB. I wonder, how does the moo actually sound?:D

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
i dont think the outside temperature has any affect. the computer is running at at least 50C and by rules of conservation of heat, your MB should make the 30C room hotter, not vice-versa.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
Josias said:
Well, it's been around 30 degrees celcius around my house last couple'a days, and my MB fan has been constantly on for the last few days, except when it's sleeping. I though it was because of the hot weather. I installed Core Duo temp, but the temperature in the MB doesn't get over 75 degrees celcius. It's starting to annoy me, since it was perfectly silent before...:mad: :confused:

guess it's not a perfect macbook then

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
My MBP did this once (fans on far too fast even when doing little).

It was an easy fix: reset the System Management Unit. Power down the machine, disconnect from mains (if connected) and remove the battery.

Open the lid and hold the power button for 15 seconds. Replace the battery and power up.

Worked for me... good luck!

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Close those sites with Macromedia Flash content and you'll be just fine. If you want to remove the noise while surfing sites with Flash content, try PithHelmet or some other plug in for Safari that lets you block Flash content at will.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
gekko513 said:
Close those sites with Macromedia Flash content and you'll be just fine. If you want to remove the noise while surfing sites with Flash content, try PithHelmet or some other plug in for Safari that lets you block Flash content at will.

Actually, I found out what casused it: MacRumors. Everytime I went to this site, it started, and would only stop after putting it to sleep and waking it up again. It suddenly stopped! It is still teh perfect MB! muahahahaha!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.