Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
I've read a lot of threads of late critisizing Apple for their continued use of the aging G4. I think our real gripe should be with Motorola which has certainly bailed out on their plan to manufacture the G5.

What happened to Motorola's G5?

Apple had fully working prototype machines over a year ago, and Motorola was set to go into volume production early in 2002. On December 10, Chris Galvin phoned Steve Jobs announcing that the G5 will be delayed for at least 3 months due to glitches in its 0.13 micron process, which resulted in very low yields, and chips malfunctioning after a very short period of time. On December 17, Motorola announced to Apple that the G5 was delayed for at least 6 months, and then on February 25th Steve Jobs received a bombshell announcement that Motorola was ceasing development on the G5 indefinitely because it was making drastic cuts on R&D, and its main market is not desktop processors, but rather embedded processors. Days later, Apple reclaimed all its test boxes from key developers. Motorola instead has chosen to eke out as much performance as it can out of its G4 processors.

https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2002/11/20021124221123.shtml

I said in a previous post that I think Apple needs a heart transplant... well, I hope the 970 is cut out for the job.

conceptdev

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
I agree and think there is consensus that Apple should be and is saying "Goodbye Moto." However how does this constitute software discussion?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
There is nothing that has hurt apple more in recent years then motorolas stagnating G4 and failed G5. Computing consists of many factors and componets but the most IMPORTANT one is the CPU. With the 970 being rumored lets hope that Apple has awaken and realized this. They would be wise to use the 970 across the board instead of allways forcing has-been technology to the consumer. I can see it now, more g4 imacs in the years to come. YuK!YAK!YUK!

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
There is nothing that has hurt apple more in recent years then motorolas stagnating G4 and failed G5. Computing consists of many factors and componets but the most IMPORTANT one is the CPU. With the 970 being rumored lets hope that Apple has awaken and realized this. They would be wise to use the 970 across the board instead of allways forcing has-been technology to the consumer. I can see it now, more g4 imacs in the years to come. YuK!YAK!YUK!

My sentiments exactly. Hopefully IBM has the production capabilities to do the mac justice, make fast chips, and in large volume quickly. Motorola never really had that capacity.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, I'm all for moving on - there really won't be much future in the G4 for the high end systems. But what's going to be interesting is to see how long it takes for Apple to totally break away from Motorola. I'd love to see the 970s in all the machines, and that might happen in late 2004 with a new crop of 970s or its next version.

D

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by dukestreet
Well, I'm all for moving on - there really won't be much future in the G4 for the high end systems. But what's going to be interesting is to see how long it takes for Apple to totally break away from Motorola. I'd love to see the 970s in all the machines, and that might happen in late 2004 with a new crop of 970s or its next version.

D

If IBM can make them quick enough i would say it would'nt take that long. I would guess that Apple have had the prototype for a while so they are probably working on boards for most of the macs (bar the laptops obviously)........

The sooner they get away from motorola's flailing semi-conductor business the better....

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
motorola doesnt care, hardly anyof their money come from these chips. they are making cell phones and all kinds of stuff. apple is the least of their worries.

iJon

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Jaykay
My sentiments exactly. Hopefully IBM has the production capabilities to do the mac justice, make fast chips, and in large volume quickly. Motorola never really had that capacity.

I can't imagine IBM having difficulties with their capabilities....
As long as Apple sells tons of 970's, I'm sure IBM will be more than happy and able to produce them.
And I can't imagine Apple having difficulties with their sales of 970 iMacs or (real)PowerMacs!
So, no problem!
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.