I think the MacBook is getting close to a redesign...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mr.stinki, Feb 24, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Look at this picture, what stands out the most?

It seems to me that apple is over plastic, and is going to make a transition for the current macbooks into an aluminum design.

Your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. macrumors 68040

Killyp

Doubt it. The MacBook is still a relatively new design for Apple...

4. macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I think that the air will get some more features soon, see a price drop and replace the macbook.....
    I would say at macworld 09

5. macrumors 68040

squeeks

what? it looks just like a G3 ibook...

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I just felt like posting it.

7. macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'd rather have a plastic MacBook than an aluminum one. Plastic feels better, is more durable, and doesn't wear as easily. But, that's just my two cents.

8. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

9. macrumors 68040

squeeks

k, i do agree with you though, the macbook looks like a slightly updated ibook g3/g4

possible, but apple will never remove the cddrive/dvd from their base model (and best selling) laptop not to mention expansion ports

10. macrumors 68040

Killyp

Not really, there are differences.

I see the similarities, but there's only so much you can do with a Notebook before it becomes say... a toilet seat...

11. macrumors 68040

squeeks

ok it has a magnetic latch...and widescreen
    you mean like the clamshell ibooks :D

12. macrumors regular

reading ur posts make me wait for the upgrade but my heart tells me to get one tomorrow..so i dont know what to do...wait or go for it..

13. macrumors 68040

Killyp

:cool: You got it.

Seriously though, I do think the MacBooks are visually a big step ahead of the iBooks. The proportions are all much better...

14. macrumors member

will montevina's X4500 be a big step forward in terms of graphics capabilities or not really?

15. macrumors newbie

well as my first post , I must say that i would like them to change to gunmetall or grey like this pic ive made.

:cool:

Attached Files:

16. macrumors 6502a

ya i see them updating the design of the MBP before they do the macbooks, macbook design is still relativly new

17. PDE
    macrumors 68020

I like the design of the macbooks, but the plastic they use is ****. I've never seen plastic that scratches as easily as the white macbooks - just by breathing on it you'll get scratches. My girlfriend's macbook is never taken out of the house and sits mainly on a desk and it has scratches all over, most tiny micro scratches but still....

I don't think the average PC laptop - even the cheapest - gets scratches this easy. it's time for a new material! Something that is suitable for a laptop! Duh. The design is nice (except the ridiculously sharp edges), but the materials need some change. Just my opinion.

18. macrumors 6502

bananas

I'd buy an aluminium MacBook right away, if there was one.
    I really thought there would be one before last christmas, but seems like I was wrong :)

There's probably going to be a MBP update first. But if we get lucky Apple will update MBP and MB simultaneously .

I'm most likely going to buy another MacBook soon anyway, but it would be fun if it was updated first.

19. macrumors 68040

squeeks

not a chance, they will steal sales from each other

20. macrumors regular

i doubt they will change the macbook design for a little while. They have the new keyboard in it, it had a major thickness difference from the ibook, the size for one is different as well. If anything, the Macbook Pro will get a redesign, it looks the same as powerbooks did 5 years ago.

21. macrumors 6502

Haha! Notice that the MBA is in the very center of all the rest? Talk about fame!

22. macrumors 65816

fluidedge

aluminum one day for sure, but the design team are quite small and they can only really do one major product at a time - i'd say there are other things at the front of the queue like the cinema displays, MBP and even the MP would probably be in line for a bit of a refresh (though i love the design and i'm keeping my MP case forever - when it's dead i'm building a PC out of the case!), not to mention any new products that apple are working on.

We might even see the iPhone2 with a slightly different form factor

23. macrumors regular

Spritey

More durable and less environmental friendly. At least aluminium cases can be recycled, so that's more inline with Apple's kind-of trying to be environmental friendly

Then again, don't see how aluminium is LESS durable than plastic...? Since when did plastic trump metal?

24. macrumors member

the plastic is "more" durable in the sense that it doesn't dent. i wouldn't call that more durable but thats what people mean generally when they say that.

25. macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

It's settled, then...I'm keeping my Macbook when I get a Macbook Pro...*prefers the Macbook design*