I think this is the best idea ever!

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingcrowing, Jun 26, 2005.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I only put this here because its the most popular area of the forums...

but back in 2004 we had the record for most amount of people on the forum at one time... i think we should break it, i was thinking possibly July 1st at like 10:30 EDT (eastern daylight time, in the US East coast) I think its about 5 hours off of grinich mean time, so you brits are gonna have a late night, but its only 3 or 4 off from the West coast.

we have ~54,000 members, and we only need 2,653 to break the record, i know a lot of those 54,000 members are old and/or dead accounts, but i know theres a ton more than 2,600 that use these forms, if you have a computer be online from 10:25-10:35 July 1st 2005 EDT
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    The most people we have ever had here probably coincided with a product announcement. I think you'll have a better chance if you tried this after the first Mac-Intel is released.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Make that before the release. After the release half the members will be off crying and the other half will be running their little legs off to get to the closest Apple Store.
  4. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Might as well wait for MWSF 2006 for the unveiling of those InteliMac portables. If that doesn't break a record.... ;)
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001

The problem isn't on breaking the record - its about the load on the server. When we have major news events like MWSF and such we prepare for it. We get more than 2000 people active at one time and your MR experience approaches nill - you get a lot of server busy messages...

6. amholl macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2004
    thats a pretty cool idea, but just wait for the P-M PBs and iBs, thatll do it.
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I may spend a lot of time here but thankfully, I still have enough of a life not to stay up til 3.30am just to try to set a meaningless record. ;)

The fun thing about that is that it shows when there's truly been most interest in the forums (bear in mind that it's showing active users and not guests).
  8. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Can I be the one to ask, why?

Is this an MR version of a flash meet? Where we all gather in one place, press refresh a few times and then disappear, only to come back when the server is less busy? :cool: :p