I think this is where Apple's going with it's DLDs...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by anthonymoody, Jun 4, 2003.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68010

Aug 8, 2002
    First, a huge apology in advance if there's been discussion of this device.

We've all heard the rumors about a larger-than-iPod enclosure, and for sure the iPod itself has had a bit of feature creap itself (not in a bad way). Where is it leading? Check out this new Archos device (please check anti-Archos bias at the door for a moment, I did)...

In a nutshell, it:
    -has a huge internal HD (20 or 40 GB available)
    -can store photos, MP3s, and MPEG4 and DivX 4.0 video
    -has a nice 3.8 inch color screen (QVGA res)
    -can record video from *any* device with an RCA or s-video output
    -has an FM tuner
    -has a 3MP digital camera attachment *which also serves as an MPEG4 camcorder*
    -has a card reader attachment for CF and SD cards
    -has a/v output (to play video/show pix on external displays)

and it's all navigated by a proprietary GUI.

NOW. Is it without problems? Of course not. It's kind of bulky and ugly. BUT, imagine if the design/useability geniuses at Apple have at a device like this - does anyone doubt that they'd do an amazing job? And, does anyone doubt that they'd want one? I know I would :)

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    It's very cool and I think that's the direction that Apple is going. It would have to have fewer pieces though. It is butt ugly too ;) but Apple would come up with something that looks good. The one thing about a digicam is that you can only see teeny tiny little pics, with something like that you could almost immediately see a larger version AND be able to show people all your photos. I would buy something like that if APple made it.