I think we broke Apple's websites!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ebally, Apr 28, 2005.

1. ebally macrumors regular

None of Apple's websites (Apple.com, Mac.com) seem to be working! This has never happened to me before...

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

An absurd thought, Apple's sites don't seem laggy or anything here. Perhaps a problem on your end?
    -Chase

3. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

try a traceroute to see where your connection fails.
    Sites work okay with Blueyonder.

4. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Are you certain?

I've tried 3 different browsers on www.apple.com and www.mac.com, but nothing comes up... the browsers just search and search. And it has only affected Apple sites.

Can more people try and let me know how they get on?

5. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

What's a trace route?

Btw, my .mac account in Mail is not connecting either (but all my other email accounts are).

6. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I'm using Safari 1.3 in Panther, Airport connection, nothing too special. Try clearing your cache and see if that works.

BTW, your sig should be "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." -Gandhi
    -Chase

7. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Works fine for me. Connecting via an office WAN that eventually connects to the Internet over in the US (probably at Memphis).

Just wishing I'd have got Tiger this weekend but it doesn't look like it's going to happen now. Shame. Looks like I'll have to study instead and justify why I get a student discount.

8. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I've tried emptying the Cache, restarting my computer, reseting my router, but nothing has changed. :(

Why is the problem only affected Apple's sites?

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No problem, whatsoever, with either site... Firefox 1.0.3, Mac OS X 10.3.9

10. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Maybe try flushing your DNS cache (although I don't know if a restart would've done that already) in the terminal do a `lookupd -flushcache` and see if that helps.

To do a traceroute: open /Applications/Utilities/Network Utility, click on the "Traceroute" tab, enter www.apple.com (or mail.mac.com, or whatever you want) and hit the trace button. If it's unsuccessful you'll get a bunch of * * * at the end. A successful one will have the last result having the ip address that it says it is looking for (which for me tracerouting www.apple.com is 17.112.152.32)

11. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Working fine here on Safari and Firefox...think the prob is definitely on your end. Odd that it only happening on Apple's websites though, hmmm.

12. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I've just taken me, myself and my PowerBook to the Apple Store on Regents Street, to see if the problem is with my laptop...

And it isn't. So the only thing I can think of is that the problem lies with my Netgear DG834G Wireless router. It is just so odd that the problem only happens with Apple sites... (Apple.com, .Mac, Software Update, Mail). None will connect to Apple.

I tried Pinging Apple's site, and running Routetrace, but no luck. There is a new beta firmware for the router, which I will try and update to once I get home.

It's just so strange. Does anyone know if Microsoft has bought Netgear? :)

Thank God I only live 15 minutes away from the Apple Store.

13. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It may think you are going to buy an Airport Wireless router, to replace and throw away the linksys ;)

14. ebally thread starter macrumors regular

If only it was that inteligent! :D

The problem is now solved!

It turns out that certain DNS servers (that Apple uses and some other people use) were down this morning in the local London exchanges... Well that's what i've been told anyway!

EVEN greater news is that Tiger well be arriving at my doorstep tomorrow afternoon! :D