I think we just got wireless N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Benjamindaines, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

check you software update there's an airport update
    idk if its N or not but I'm guessing

Oh yeah, only Intel C2D

2. lawclerk macrumors member

3. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

You beat me to the link.

I searched System Profiler after the update ran, but I can't tell what speed it is now, as compared to before.

My guess is this probably isn't N capability, though.

4. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I looked too, there's no mention of speed.

5. raf1005 macrumors newbie

I just updated. Anyone know when this update was released?
    Anyone have a rotuer they can fix to N only and see if they can connect.

6. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

I have an N router (Linksys WRT300n), but as I only have one potential computer (MacBook) with an N card, so I'm not sure how to test it. I guess I could turn off the mixed network setting on the router, so it's N only and see what happens. Hang on, I'll give it a try and get back with results.

Edit: OK so I turned my router to the N-only setting, and I lost all connection from it. I had to reset it in order to get connected at G again. So I'm guessing no N yet, unless my router is using a different enough draft of N that the two aren't compatible.

7. lawclerk macrumors member

well, you could go into the router and make it only .n within the setup of it. Plug into an ethernet port and it should be 192.168.1.1 with a p/w of admin and no login name.

then, i guess it will probably pick it up IF this update is for .n. I am doubtful that it is. I think it's more for base stations at the moment.

lc

8. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Just got an email from Apple.

9. raf1005 macrumors newbie

for router settings type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 into web browser and look for a setting to make it 802.11n only.

10. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Weird, after the update, I am able to connect to my linksys 802.11a access point when it has WEP enabled. Before i was unable to connect while WEP was enabled and I would just receive a error about connecting...:confused:

11. neilio macrumors newbie

Nope. My D-Link DIR-655 reports what protocol wireless clients are using to associate to the router and it's still showing as 802.11g.

Sorry folks, but this ain't it. Hopefully this fixes the flaky connections I've been seeing with my C2D, though!

12. Donza macrumors member

Installed fine on my Core Duo MacBook which apparently has just 802.11g wireless. Haven't notice any difference so far... Probably just security/stability update.

13. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I've had wireless connectivity problems with my university campus network for 3 months and I'm hoping this update is what I've been waiting for. A brief description in a sentence is that I can't connect to the network (until 1 hour has passed) after putting my MacBook to sleep/restart. Been there done that on the troubleshooting so this problem is up in the air (same for the ppl squirming at Apple discussions).

As for the update, my fans spiked after the restart and about double the time to reboot (normal is 28 seconds :D) and no problems.

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Is it me or do we now have a new "ssid" network option. Why?

15. toontra macrumors 6502

I was hoping this may sort my LAN problem that started with my new MacBook C2D - described at length here - but sadly not.

16. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Do you think because Safari seems snappier we may after all see the Powerbook G5?

17. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines