I thought about breaking out my MBA during church...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VMMan, Aug 7, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2009
    This MBA 11" is so mobile, I'm always wanting to use it during times I normally would not be carrying a laptop.

Today at church, I thought about breaking out the MBA... I know. I didn't do it, but I thought about it.

I even asked my wife if I can use it during a boring get together with my wife's friends, but she said, "no".

A few years ago, it would have been unheard of for people to be using their cell phones ALL the time, but wherever I go, I always see people glued to their cell phones to check email, surf, etc.

Unfortunately, breaking out the MBA would seem to be less socially acceptable.

Do you guys/gals ever use your MBAs in situations where others (especially your significant other) frowns upon it?
  2. macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2005
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

My girlfriend always catches me in bed with my MacBook Pro. It's tough to explain.

I wish I had an 11" MacBook Air. Then I could just hide it under the mattress and wait until she falls asleep.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2009
    I've been bringing my iPad 2 during church service ever since it came out. I use the Bible Reader app and it's much nicer being able to jump to verses, make bookmarks, etc. I would not, however, take a MBA during the main service. For a Bible Study or something other than the main worship service, I would have no problem taking my Air.
  4. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    Hopefully not when she is .......
  5. macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    Salt Lake
    Use my iPad all the time, have taught lessons via keynote in the past as well.
  6. macrumors 68000

Feb 26, 2011
    Ya, a tablet or smart phone is one thing and becoming more acceptable as time passes. Well, at least it is if you live in a moderately progressive area. A laptop, even one as discrete as a MBA would attract a lot more attention. I wouldn't do it.
  7. macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2006
  8. macrumors 68030

Apr 10, 2003
    A hot desert
    I'd have no issues whipping it out in church.

Surely there's some panic took like for Facebook where you can make the internet look like jesus teachings.
  9. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2011
    It's okay, gods do not exist. Use your Apple products as you wish in church. :cool:
  10. macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2006
    It's not the gods who will strike you dead for they are but in the mind, and can do one no harm ;). It is the crazy followers that will be the offended, and who will follow you home and curse your life in general.

Trust me on this :D
  11. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Oct 14, 2010
    perfectly fine to use in church ... God will not judge you.

The only ones who will judge you are all the judgemental people around you who go to church
  12. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    I think the real question here is "when is it socially acceptable to use a laptop in public places". I don't think I would have a problem taking out a laptop while sitting in church if I was using it for related purposes -- like taking notes or pulling up an electronic Bible. I wouldn't, however, start opening Facebook or other non-related websites -- that would simply be rude and distracting to those around. It's also sending the wrong impression to any youngsters who might be watching.

Churches and communities certainly vary, though, and what's appropriate or not for one congregation may not be at all for another. If one is truly anxious, then ask an usher, or see what others are doing and follow suit.

And to those making the smart remarks, it has nothing to do with what you believe. Whether or not you believe in Heaven or Hell or any afterlife, you still wouldn't take out your laptop during someone's funeral... nor would you do so at a wedding or at the movies.
  13. macrumors 65816

Jan 30, 2009
    With great portability comes great responsibility.
  14. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2009
    I definitely lol'd on this one.
  15. macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2003
    Not sure what the OP had in mind about using his Air in Church but if it is not to take notes during the sermon or read the bible, I wouldn't understand at all what he is doing in church to begin with.

I've seen a number of Pastors using laptops and specially iPads while delivering their sermons (instead of using handwritten notes), so why not the congregation?
  16. macrumors 68020

Jul 28, 2008
    Just don't go to church and the problem is solved.
  17. macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2007
    Hehehe, that's very logic a solution.

OT, I use my iPhone a lot, it has a pdf of the bible, and sometimes I use my iPad as well. But the iPad gets way more noticed and I don't like that. It's a rather large PDF naturally, but it works quite well to my surprise. And if I want I can read the text in several translations.

Why would you need a MBA? I know how hard it can be to leave it for an hour/hour and half in it's sleeve if you can't concentrate on the sermon. But try to concentrate a bit more, or do like Miamialley said, just don't go.
  18. macrumors 65816

Sep 5, 2009
    Sounds like Apple fanbois...
  19. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2009
    Similar, however we are vastly more intelligent that the bible pushing south. (If you are offended, I apologize as it's 4 AM and I'm not the most coherent at this point in the night.)
  20. macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2011
    You'd think someone who fancies themselves 'vastly more intelligent that [sic] the bible pushing south' would know better than to post when you're 'not the most coherent'. :rolleyes:

You're also vastly more bigoted.
  21. macrumors 6502

Dec 1, 2008
    Why did you ask permission in the first place? Sounds like you need to man up. I can't help but wonder why you're at a (boring) get together with her friends, if her friends didn't bring husbands why did you have to go? Does she keep you on a leash? This thread should be titled "my wife controls me, what to do" lol. I guess people who go to church aren't the type to make their own decicions in the first place.
  22. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Sometimes we're sitting in places that we'd rather not be in, and sometimes the thing to do is to shut up and be quiet. Whether that's a boring sermon, or a council meeting, or a wedding, or a funeral, or a lecture at school, or maybe you're watching a movie or show with some friends and you're really just not enjoying it. It doesn't matter. If you feel the situation warrants a "forget this, I'm leaving", then go for it -- but if not, there are times you just need to tough it out.

That's a skill that needs to be learned, and increasingly people are finding it more difficult, especially when a solution -- a lovely electronic distraction -- is sitting right there in your pocket.
  23. macrumors member

Jul 29, 2011
    "Is that a Macbook Air in your pants or you just happy to see me"

but it's just like how the iPad became so prominent and people are bringing them everywhere. Even at concerts while in crowds. So you can judge for yourself how silly it is and if it's situation-appropriate.
  24. macrumors member

May 22, 2011
    Sounds like someone's making more assumptions than warranted. Please organize your thoughts before posting.
    Like someone said before me, you just have to tough it out sometimes at places where whipping out electronics is rude.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Nov 14, 2010