I thought Microsoft was supposed to be ahead in Technology

Discussion in 'Community' started by slooksterPSV, Jul 19, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I was just thinking of this, and thinking about how Mac's have support for everything that is out there. Did you know Windows doesn't have direct support for Firewire 800 like Mac OS 9 and OS X does? Windoze requires third party software to use Firewire 800. Also, I have yet to see a PC with optical audio. Mac's (if I'm right) were the first to use DVI weren't they? They were the first to use Firewire, heck they've had Firewire on there PowerMac's forever it seems like. Windows PC's finally put them on like 4 or 5 years ago, Apple 7 or 8 years ago. Apple is so ahead in the Technology department, Microsoft is yesteryear technology.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depends on what aspects of technology that you are talking about - FW on PCs wasn't really needed until Sony called it IEwhatever94 and started putting FW ports onto their cameras. Suddenly, it was required... but USB2 meant that they didn't have to use FW for digital cameras etc. You could almost say that Apple gambled on FW being the standard rather than USB2 and lost. Remember that in 2004, they were still selling new eMacs without USB2 ports!

I have a friend who is insistent that MS is way ahead since Windows has all those different versions that give it support for phone handsets, PDAs and Media Center. He likes using MS software to handle the TV aspects in Media Center rather than having to go out and buy an Elgato kit. Sad to say that many people find being able to watch TV on their computer is more satisfying that being able to create TV on their computer...

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

All depends on what you are using your computer for...

For many casual users, the ability to walk into any store and buy a computer gadget and it have a Windows logo on it is comforting. Nevermind the hoops they have to jump through to get it to work. Windows is everywhere, and while there are almost always Mac equivalents (that are better), you have to know where to look.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Look at their OS if you want to see yesteryear technology :rolleyes:

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Sony actually called the technology iLink, IIRC. IEEE1394 is the technical name for firewire, and has been around since the beginning of firewire. Firewire is also consistently faster than USB 2. The reason USB 2 caught on was because it was backwards compatible with USB 1.1.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, like M$ great security features that can be found only
    in Windows XP. :rolleyes:

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think MS's OS is a technological disappointment even though they sucked in many consumers into their folds over the course of ruthless marketing and business practices. Once one company becomes too large, it is not going to be motivated to be an innovator (it's a human nature to get lazy once you have all you need). With the money MS stashed in their banks, they should have wrote the codes which surpas OS X (which, as we all know, MS has yet to achieve).

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple delayed the switch to USB2 and DDR due to the OS 9 bootability issue.

They basically couldn't make the switch without destroying OS 9 bootability in quite a few machines.

Heck, right when a bunch of chipsets should have been revised -- but we again get nailed by switch issues, being the x86 switch and new chipsets not a economically viable change right now.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have a feeling that Firewire will go extinct pretty soon after Apple switches to Intel. USB is Intel technology, and I'm sure Apple will back whatever the next USB is, USB3 or whatever they decide to call it.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I agree. At this point in time, Firewire 800 isn't catching on very well, and I doubt very many PC companies will adopt Firewire 800.

I think that Apple will keep firewire on their computers for quite some time, though. The iSight uses firewire, all DV cams use firewire, hard drives use firewire, etc.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I guess Apple want to push IP over FW a bit more...

http://developer.apple.com/devicedrivers/firewire/ip_over_firewire.html

But FW 1600 is rumored along with Broadcom having 10 Gigabit ethernet awaited mass adoption.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

IMO, a big part of the lack of FireWire 800 acceptance was the fact they changed the connector. Was that really necessary?

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Really? I thought FW 800 is backwards compatible with FW400?

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Theres an adapter you can buy to plug a 400 cable into an 800 port (and maybe one for the other way around) but I agree. Changing the actual port was a very stupid move.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Here's some pics of the (most-common 6-pin) FireWire 400 and FireWire 800 connectors

Attached Files:

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

But, FYI, you only mentioned one thing that has to do with Microsoft. Everthing else is the PC Manufacturer.

17. Tahko macrumors regular

I have optical audio on my Audigy 2 Platinum soundcard... :eek: