I thought that I knew - but I don't - Help with AE and Linksys AP

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DougJrS, Dec 31, 2004.

1. DougJrS macrumors regular

OK - I thought that I had a good understand of WDS. I think that I have now just confused myself into understanding nothing. What I want to do is share my new printer via an Airport Express that I will get tommrow.

I have a Linksys WAP54G. (linksys says that it supports WDS) That is hooked to a Linksys Router/Firewall/DHCP server with a Cat5 cable. What I want to do is connect my Epson 320 to the Airport Express via USB cable. Then I want the AE to connect to my Linksys AP so that I can print form my Mac and from the PC. (I know that the PC must be 2k or XP).

Can I do this? Is this what is called a bridge? I don't plan to use the Cat5 port on the AE, so I don't think that it is a Bridge.

If the wireless connection will not work can I disable the wireless part of the AE and then connect to my network via Cat 5 and share the printer?

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

Doug

2. Village macrumors member

Doug,

I have neither of these devices but this recent Airport Express review at Tom's Hardware should help you. At the bottom of the page linked the article states that you can use AE in bridge mode and allow clients attached to your Linksys device to print to the AE's print server.