Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coday182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Jamestown, IN
When I got my first mac, I was so excited to use OSX. The first few days I would say "wow this really is easy." AFter a while I kind of got the feeling, though, that I was only telling my self that and it really wasn't any better than windows.... just different. So anyways. I spent the weekend at my mom's house. My parents are divorced and you know the rest of the story. Usually I bring my mini back and forth because I have monitors and keyboards etc. at her house. I was just in a hurry and didn't feel like messin with it.

It was the longest weekend of my life. lol. Well I guess not the longest because I did to other stuff than use the computer. But everything I did like email and AIM just seemed like it was so much more of a hassle. I didn't even bother to check my myspace. I guess I didn't realize how attached I've grown to OSX. It really is wonderful. Email, internet, and AIM are all just one click away on the dock. Where you would usually lose your mind with so many apps open on windows, expose and hot corners also minimize the struggle to one click. It's also nice to haev everything fully automated. For example, I don't even have to check my myspace to see if I got a message. It just sends a notice to my email and my mail app alerts me.... simple yet genius.

Sorry... I know this was a pointless post. I'm just so happy to be home on my mac again. It's like coming home from a bad vacation. What lesson did I learn? You never truely understand how much you love OSX until you have to use windows again.

BTW... I was debating on buying a windows laptop for college next year due to finances, but now there is no way in hell that's gonna happen. I don't care. I'll use pen and paper until I haev the money saved up lol.

georgi0

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
I totaly agree,

it's the small things that makes me happy from this little simple perfect machine using OSX.

I like it a lot and i am recent switcher from windows.

If only office 2007 could come out for MAC OS as well...

cheers..

Applespider

macrumors G4
i really love OSX....i just wish that more companies were ore open minded about software provision....my most recent gripe being messenger and 4OD. (4 on demand).

So that would be Microsoft on both counts... 4OD uses WMP10 which MS haven't released a Mac version for. Or you could blame Apple for not licensing Fairplay/TV content in the UK so that media companies had the option to make a cross-platform version.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
Once you go Mac.... you never go back....

I had to use Windows XP on my girlfriend's laptop 2 months ago for over 1 hour.

There were no survivors.

I always refused to help my gf with computer issues on her dell cos after 30min i'd be tempted to break the thing.... now she has a mac... :)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
The grass always looks greener....( in this case Windows is so terrible, theres no way its looking "greener" but it did look equally green)

Ya Mac OS X is truely the best.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
if only more Windows users could read this thread and at least try OS X with an open mind. I reckon, like you, they will find out what they have been missing out on.

Congrats on the switch, and welcome to the family! :)

freeman24

Aug 14, 2006
When i first saw a mac at my work i was like "Why did you buy that for, its crap" Now i have NEVER used OS X and i always thought apple was Satan for some weird reason.

But when i actually sat down and started using it i was totally blown away, i started then to save up for a mac and now i have 24 inches :D

I don't know what it is but it is the mind set for windows users, Apple = Crap, Microsoft = Good.

If only they could go to an Apple store :rolleyes:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Good story coday182. :)

Anytime that I have to use a Windows PeeCee for some reason, I am usually reminded (in about 30 seconds) of why I switched to using a Mac. :D :cool: :apple:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The grass always looks greener....( in this case Windows is so terrible, theres no way its looking "greener" but it did look equally green)

Ya Mac OS X is truely the best.

The grass is always greener over the septic tank, which was a great book title, too.

I've had to use and/or fix my parents' Windows machine after their iMac died and they couldn't get a repair.

Windows isn't that bad but it's not that good, either.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I totaly agree,

it's the small things that makes me happy from this little simple perfect machine using OSX.

I like it a lot and i am recent switcher from windows.

If only office 2007 could come out for MAC OS as well...

cheers..

We get Mac Office 2008, its gonna be Universal and have tons of features the windows one does not have!:apple:

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
I like my Mac, but some things I wish it had like windows. For example, I hate having to push F9 or Command+Tab to go through my open windows. If i have multiple Safari, Word, etc.... then the Command+Tab thing is useless. I want an easy way to browse through windows. That is my only complaint about the Mac, but it kinda gets on my nerves every time I go to browse my windows.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I never realized how inferior Windows Explorer is to the Finder until last week when I was messing with my old PC.

Eclipse278

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
I like my Mac, but some things I wish it had like windows. For example, I hate having to push F9 or Command+Tab to go through my open windows. If i have multiple Safari, Word, etc.... then the Command+Tab thing is useless. I want an easy way to browse through windows. That is my only complaint about the Mac, but it kinda gets on my nerves every time I go to browse my windows.

Command + ` (Tilde key on top of tab)
Cycles through open windows of the same program

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
good story.....and i agree with you....even though sometimes i don't mind using a pc for a short period of time...just to mix things up a bit....but only for a short time (like 10 minutes maybe - and not very often)

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
I have to use Windows at work, and the computer continuously has problems. Not sure if it's a hardware or software issue at this stage (the IT guys can't even work it out, and it's not even isolated to my computer). If only we could even use Linux. It kills me.
When I get home to my Mac, I feel like I've stepped into heaven :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
there are a lot of thinks from windows that I wish where on the mac.

I miss the task bar from windows. The dock is nice but no replacement for the task bar. The other is I wish the pull down menus would be on the application windows. It is really annoying having something in the 2nd monitor and having to go over to the primary one to use any of the menus. It would be so much easier for me if it was all in the same window.

That and the lack of anything that is like tweak UI from windows that allows a huge amount of little things that can be adjusted to ones personal choices. One thing I do love about m$ windows is there is a much wider range of little things that you can adjusted that you just do not have access to on a mac. Mind you a lot of those little things require knowing a lot more about windows that most people and mucking around in areas that you do not go unless you know what you are doing but I do miss it.

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
After reading some of this, I am now wondering if I'm just telling myself that Macs are so much better. I like how they never give problems, but I can't really say much for the rest of it. :confused: I too miss the taskbar, but I think Macs are more configurable than PCs. If only I could put the Dock on the top of the screen to come out from behind the Finder bar.:rolleyes:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I find the Taskbar backwards and useless. Then again, that's because I use Exposé like a religious zealot, so the taskbar seems to be a totally clunky way of keeping track of windows. I hardly use the Dock to switch apps, just launch them, or bring them back if I've hidden them. Between hiding and Exposé, I never minimize anything. Just a better system in my book.

As for the menu bar, it's just one of those "it's just different and will probably never be changed" things. I guess on a second monitor it might be annoying, then again I've never had two monitors. If I did, I'd probably use the second one for things that I wanted to have handy for checking/launching, like Adium and Colloquy. I hardly ever use menus in those apps, so it wouldn't be a big deal. Another thing is that the Mac has taught me to use a lot more keyboard shortcuts than I ever did in Windows, which has made me more productive.

Yeah, basically I just love OS X. Using Windows is a chore now.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
One word:

Expose (im on windows, and another peeve is not being able to do the accented "e" without knowing some BS 4 digits on the numpad)

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
Does anyone else find themselves getting "Windoze rage" when they have to use a PC? Little things really get to me when I'm using Word for Windows- it literally makes me angry :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.